Pod Your Reef

1st scape

Minmay

Hi guys! This is my first time scaping rock. Please let me know what you think good or bad. I may do something different at the end but so far this is what I got. I want to put a cliff but not sure yet. The paper is the same dimensions as the tank that im waiting for which is Fluval Evo 13.5  

07516f69-b54c-4508-a58b-d1d2790d411f.jpg

I will thank you. I cant wait for the tank to arrive but so far its still back order but they shipped the Arag -Live sand which will be arriving today. 

1 hour ago, Minmay said:

I will thank you. I cant wait for the tank to arrive but so far its still back order but they shipped the Arag -Live sand which will be arriving today. 

Oh the possibilities of the new tank. :)  can't wait to see how it looks. 

yes! Im pretty excited about it. I've been researching for months now. Then I just decided to finally get my hands wet and just do it. I keep freshwater fish/plants so im not entirely new to keeping a tank but saltwater is so intimidating. Once I have everything, I'll create a new thread so ppl can watch my progression. 

Personally, I lean towards minimal rock-scape with the assumption that coral are going to fill my negative space. Assuming the paper is roughly your tank footprint, I'd remove roughly 50% of the rock, and put the highest point at roughly 1/3 from either the left or right edge.

Thank you Jestep for your input. This isn't the final scape so I'll be playing around with it more. My tank hasn't arrived yet. Still back ordered so I have plenty of time to goof around with the rock. 

I think its a wonderful 1st scape!

ive changed mine probably three times so make sure its exactly what you want before you make it happen

cheers

Thank you sharbuckle. I want to add some sort of a cliff i gotta figure out how to do that with the rock that was provided but I may just have to go to LFS and pick out somethng flat. Idk. 

I'd also recommend you remove at least one of the medium or large rocks (if not more). Also; try to close the gaps between the rocks that are meant to be individual islands. The gaps make them look somewhat unnatural.

+1 to keeping space from the glass. Also, vary the heights by stacking/leaning pieces, but also keep some open areas for the sand. You could use small pieces as supports for larger ones, which would also create caves/overhangs.

I like the updated a lot. I know it seems really small, and many people do create successful, wall-of-rock style aquariums, but the tanks I like the most almost all use the minimal rock approach. The next hardest part is restraint in stocking so you restrict the growth to complement the rockwork.

Also, if you slope the sand from back to front and try to stock with smaller polyp corals (when appropriate) it can give the tank a much larger appearance than it really is. This is a trick commonly used on planted FW tanks to trick the viewer into thinking it's much larger than it really is.

Thank you jestep. Im gonna do beginner softies...trying to do a theme of Indo Pacific ...i dont want to over stock/cram a bunch of corals all over the place. I dont want the tank to look messy and disorganized 

Archived