ReefCleaners.org

kicking some GHA *@!

jambon

So I have been dealing with this green hair algae lately in my IM fusion 20. Mechanical filtration, ghost skimmer, reactor with bio pellets as well as 15% water changes weekly. My sps, lps are doing well. I have a 2 inch black ice clown, six line wrasse, watchman goby, elongated dottyback and 2 black ray gobies as well as till lately 2 snails and 3 or 4 hermits. My gha got a little out of hand in the past 6 months... bit of a high bio load I guess. Got tired of toothbrushing things so 2 weeks ago purchased an emerald crab and 5 additional snails... well they are going to town and having a feast on this stuff! I believe this will sort things out. I have a birds nest that was almost covered in gha it's now clean fortunately the live tips can breath now. I just wanted to share this with you all

IMG_20170222_153958.jpg

Christopher Marks

It must feel good to get the upper hand on green hair algae! How's the circulation in your system? Do you ever use a pipette to blow detritus off your rocks?

What are your phosphate tests like these days?

I have a powrhead in one cornr and circulating pump on othr corner. Moving about 600 gph. Kinda slacking on my testing:blush: and I use a turkey baster occasionally to clear the detritus up.

Christopher Marks

That sounds like pretty good circulation! How about your feeding schedule? Sometimes over feeding fish and coral can fuel GHA.

Test those phosphates, get them to zero and your GHA can truly be beat :) 

27 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That sounds like pretty good circulation! How about your feeding schedule? Sometimes over feeding fish and coral can fuel GHA.

Test those phosphates, get them to zero and your GHA can truly be beat :) 

My pico was fishless and I still couldn't stop GHA from proliferating. Every test shows nitrate at zero and phosphate at like 0.02 to 0.04. I've just dosed fluconazole and see if it works.

I am trying to keep my feeding light every second day maybe 3/8 inch square cube of mysis. Weekly about 1/4 tsp reef roids for coral. The point of this thread is that what I have done with the snails and emerald crab "IS" working! I am pleased with results. So far. I am considering adding a better crew to my 14 BC whick houses my frogfish and an assortment of mushrooms and soft corals and a healthy lawn of GHA lol.

IMG_20170211_075130.jpg

So @dandelion are you having some gha problems? I did put 5 of them in along with the emerald crab at pretty much the same time. They did not eliminate the problem but sure are making a difference. I had a colony of purple dragon type acro that I grew from a tiny frag. It acted as a comb and was smothred and succumbed to the gha:(.

1 hour ago, jambon said:

So @dandelion are you having some gha problems? I did put 5 of them in along with the emerald crab at pretty much the same time. They did not eliminate the problem but sure are making a difference. I had a colony of purple dragon type acro that I grew from a tiny frag. It acted as a comb and was smothred and succumbed to the gha:(.

Well at one point I had 4 astrea snails keeping my tank clean, until a hitchhiker hermit decided to murder them. I started to have fuss growing on my rocks, so I bought 4 more snails to replace them and moved the hermit to my QT. One refused to live so now I have three. They cleaned up the fuss rather well, but their poop in turn fed GHA which they simply won't touch. I think I am still early with the problem so I'm trying to be proactive. I am however losing the war if my methods don't work.

Hmmm how about  emerald crab? BTW what size Pico? And if it is without fish you may not need any food or very little if its just corals. I'm running a reactor and skimmer so it helps remove the waste.

It's just 5 gallon water volume. It was fishless for over a year until like last week when I had to regime my clownfish there. But the algae problem was starting even before the fish. I didn't even feed the tank and GHA would still grow. Tried taking out the chaeto thinking maybe it is dying feeding the nuisance algae but didn't seem to have an effect.

Today is day 3 of fluconazole. Haven't noticed any effect so far.

i sometimes wonder if chaeto doesn't thrive in low nutrient environment. Maybe if my water is dirtier it will thrive and outcompete nuisance algae better.

9 hours ago, dandelion said:

It's just 5 gallon water volume. It was fishless for over a year until like last week when I had to regime my clownfish there. But the algae problem was starting even before the fish. I didn't even feed the tank and GHA would still grow. Tried taking out the chaeto thinking maybe it is dying feeding the nuisance algae but didn't seem to have an effect.

Today is day 3 of fluconazole. Haven't noticed any effect so far.

i sometimes wonder if chaeto doesn't thrive in low nutrient environment. Maybe if my water is dirtier it will thrive and outcompete nuisance algae better.

Do you have a pic of the tank? A clown in a 5 gallon is quite a load. 

Archived