Pod Your Reef

What's your oldest fish?

holy carp

not saltwater, but i had a goldfish i bought in like 2014. this was before i educated myself in proper fish care. i had him in a 14 litre tank, which he lived in for a while. he started getting big, so i moved him to my 64 litre tank, and he lived in there for a good while. i was getting worried about how big he was getting, so i looked online about how big a tank goldfish really need (like 100 litres). i felt terrible and at the soonest opportunity gave him to my friend with a 200 litre tank with other goldfish. he has been doing very well and is about 25cm long. he is still alive, and i expect he will live to be about 15-20 years.

ive only been in salt for a little over a year, but the oldest fish i have is a sixline. one of the first fish i bought and has lived through every disaster the tank went through ( hitchhiker mantis killing rampage and lack of water change for 3 months AKA the Great Nitrate Plague of 2018 (i underestimated how much water changes i needed to do)) i love him so much.

• Like 2

I have my female Chrysiptera Cyanea that's survived with me since 2011, through several moves and crashes. Got her from a local club member who had her for 3 years, and they'd gotten them from someone else in the hobby who had her a number of years... So she's at least 11+ now, maybe in her teens, and feisty as ever. Wish I could get a better pic of her.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:27 PM, GTi said:

I just saw this thread again; the Firefish is still going although he's looking a bit more his age now.

The little fella died back in September. He was at least 8 years old. It was a sad day - he was one of the first fish we had when we started saltwater (all the others had already died or were traded in when we downsized a couple of years ago).

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, GTi said:

The little fella died back in September. He was at least 8 years old. It was a sad day - he was one of the first fish we had when we started saltwater (all the others had already died or were traded in when we downsized a couple of years ago).

Sorry about your fish! Glad he lived so long.

My clowns are still kicking and somehow so is the hermit. They are pushing 10.

clowns_in_nem_web.thumb.jpg.0abf8c8c28ef9845683846f4e8ef4ced.jpg

Janky 7 year old hermit, too

DSC_2566.thumb.jpg.8518ca291958aadb1ef43690f9feba4e.jpg

• Like 2
On 12/15/2019 at 1:16 PM, jservedio said:

Sorry about your fish! Glad he lived so long.

My clowns are still kicking and somehow so is the hermit. They are pushing 10.

Janky 7 year old hermit, too

He lived a good life. Glad yours are doing well. I knew Clowns are long-lived but didn't know that about hermits.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my tiny ocellaris for maybe 7 years now, I got him when he was about 1-3 years old, so 8-10 years He's still quite small, about 1.5 in. I'm gonna try to bulk him up a bit and maybe encourage him to grow with a smaller male. 

• 5 months later...

My oldest fish was freshwater, a male teal/vermilion veiltail betta that I had from 8th grade into about my 3rd year of undergrad.  Ciaran was such a personable fish.  He was 7 when he died.  I’ve had a few other bettas that lived to be 4 and 5.  

I’m only just on my first saltwater tank, and I’m hoping my lovely young clown pair will live a very long time 🤞🏼

UpsideDownPumpkin

I wish there was a way to tell. My female B&W clown was already an adult female when I got her so I know she was at the very least a year old. I’ve had her another 8 months on top of that. She’s about twice the size of my juvie male if that helps. He started twitching and they formally paired around 3 months ago. I also got him 8 months ago, so he’s probably around 12-18 months. Really though, I have no idea, she was a “donation” given to the LFS with little information. She’s quite feisty though so if I had to guess why...

Freshwater; I have a female golden gourami that will be five this coming Christmas. She is retired now and spends her days yelling at the corycats to get off her lawn.

I have a royal gramma that i bought from my lfs with my first reef tank. He was about 2inches so prob at least a few years old. And now 3 years later hes still kicking and a real beauty. Royal Grammas are quite expensive in my country compared to other saltwater fish like damsels. About $50-60. 

I curently have a female bristle nosed pleco I think I got probly in 2007, 5 year old davinci clown, a black ice clown I probly got in 08 or 09. I have a hermet crab I probly got in 08 yes it's still alive and definitely the same one. I have a 6 year old money cowrey in my 10g. I had a white cloud and black skirt tetras lived 10 years I had an orange line tetra live 7 years I had rosey reds live 7 years.