Coral Vue Hydros

What's your oldest fish?

holy carp

There seems to be relatively limited and sometimes conflicting information on how long our fish live in our reef tanks.

My tank has only been going for around 18 months, so I won't be setting any records soon.

Bruce Jenner, my ocellaris, has been in the tank since day one.  Not sure how old when he/she arrived, but I'd guess a year, putting her at ~2.5 years old:

bruce.jpg

I'm curious to hear which fish have had great longevity in people's reef tanks.

Type, Age, Pics?

:)

• Like 4

The guy I bought my 85 tank from had a 12 year old spawning pair of clownfish.  I know my fire shrimp was at least 4 years old when I bought him from another reefer and he lived a year with me before he died.  He was also about 4 inches long so twice as big as what liveaquaria says they are. Not a fish, but still cool.  I hope he was just end of life. If they live longer, dont tell me. I was very sad when we found him dead.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Definitely not very old, but my clowns were my first fish and they're nearly 2.5 years old. Got them when they were 6 months from a guy who breeds clowns in his basement.  Curious to hear about other peoples fish 

• Like 1
Okinawa_Reefer
On 2/22/2017 at 1:01 PM, holy carp said:

There seems to be relatively limited and sometimes conflicting information on how long our fish live in our reef tanks.

My tank has only been going for around 18 months, so I won't be setting any records soon.

Bruce Jenner, my ocellaris, has been in the tank since day one.  Not sure how old when he/she arrived, but I'd guess a year, putting her at ~2.5 years old:

bruce.jpg

I'm curious to hear which fish have had great longevity in people's reef tanks.

Type, Age, Pics?

:)

I don't think anyone has ever come up with a name that is as fitting as this one for a clown fish. Well done!

• Like 7
flatlandreefer

I was watching a video about the 20000 gal Long Island aquarium. They had several tangs in there that they put in when they built it 15 years ago. As for me I just have babies. 

• Like 1
Shark Fighter

Currently my oldest fish is my Green Spotted Puffer which is 4 years old and about as big as the palm of my hand. But the oldest marine fish I know of was my dad's Ocellaris Clown that was in his tank for 5 years before a power outage killed it, and it was already several years old when he acquired it. It was the biggest ocellaris I've ever seen. Prior to that we had a dog-sized Pleco (but that was freshwater obviously) that had to be about 15-20 years old before it died. 

This is is a very interesting topic. I can't wait to hear more stories of our long lived finned friends. 

• Like 2

All of my marine fish are babies still, so I am interested to see all the experiences of everyone else. 

The oldest freshwater fish I ever had was a pink kissing gourami named Big Pink. He was almost 10 inches when he died last winter at the ripe old age of 12.    RIP Big Pink...... because of his size he is the only fish to get a funeral. 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Asureef said:

Clownfish pair in my avatar.  

Had them ever since I joined this site.

Ugh, Math...  Actually, good that you joined in 2010... makes the math easy!  :D  That front clown in your avatar looks badass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 9:12 AM, flatlandreefer said:

I was watching a video about the 20000 gal Long Island aquarium. They had several tangs in there that they put in when they built it 15 years ago. As for me I just have babies. 

I've seen that tank in person, it's ridiculously large and very impressive.

To stay on topic, my old LFS used to have a clown in there that they had bred themselves and lived for over 20 years (supposedly)! They called it fossil, and it had it's own tank.

• Like 2

Yellow clown goby... impulse buy back in 2012/2013-ish and has been with me since.  Getting the feeling I'll never get to try keeping montiporas ever again. ;) 

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

wow, I've never heard of a yellow clown goby living very long at all in home aquaria, let alone 5 years.

what tank is he in/how big?  also how big is he?

pics of these fish in their home would be highly appreciated! :D

Supposedly they have about an 8 year lifespan.  Here's a pic from 2014 (apparently)... looks much the same today.  But this is the best shot I have of the little guy so far.

9 gallon Eheim Aquastyle nano tank, no sump but an impending addition of an aquaclear 70/InTank combo.  "Belushi" is about 2" long and had likely achieved his full adult size at this point.

ycg01.png

• Like 7
  • 2 years later...
On 2/24/2017 at 10:33 AM, GTi said:

I have a Red Firefish who has been with us since August 2011 - 5 1/2 years old at this point.

I just saw this thread again; the Firefish is still going although he's looking a bit more his age now.

• Like 2