Cultivated Reef

Where to Start? ah, the very beginning, tank selection

CeresReef

Hi Reefers,

I have a question for you, I am looking to start a new Nano, but am having some issues choosing a tank.  I do NOT want it to be an AIO setup, I want an overflow into a sump.  I am looking at 25g or less.  So far the best I have seen is the CAD Lights Zen 23g, and in speaking with them confirmed it is drillable, so I will probably go with that. 

I guess my question is before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to see if there are other options out there I may have overlooked.  My two requirements:  NOT a cube, the Zen is 24x16x15 roughly, which is nice.  second is NOT an AIO, I want a sump/fuge belowdecks.  

Any recommendations?

-Ceres

The Aquamaxx 22L is pretty awesome. Check that out. I have a Mr. Aqua 22L, same dimensions that I have set up as an AIO and I love it. Eventually would like to drill it but no room for a sump right now.

After going for a long aquarium, I don't know if I'll ever go back to cube or rectangle.

Other options in the same style, Mr Aqua, GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums), doAqua, ADA is still #1 by a long shot IMO. Check the prices on the Mr Aqua's, they're typically a really good value, not sure if they'll beat cadlights though.

But really, get the one that falls in your price range in the dimensions you want. Cad lights are not the best quality out there, but the price is hard to beat and they're comparable to many of the others. Biggest issue with them is when needing warranty service. But with a rimless, I don't think that's highly likely as long as it makes it through shipping. Make sure you understand their acceptance procedure, many times you will need to open the package on the spot and refuse delivery if it is damaged. Not always the case, but make sure to go by their instructions otherwise you may be risking accepting a broken tank without being able to get a refund.

What about the IM Nuvo Black series? Many shapes and sizes to choose from, it would be hard to beat IM 25 lagoon black series' 24 x 20 footprint when it comes to space for aquascape, IMHO. I can't recall whether or not they can be drilled; but I'm sure there's a discussion of that somewhere on NR.

I'm going to jump in on this topic since I was about to post about it. I'm looking at the aqua maxx 22 long or the fusion lagoon 25. I see a lot of conflicting advice with regards to skimmers, auto top off, sumps.

So where I am currently, I'm trying to decide on whether to get an all in one or do a sump. Also, whether or not to get a skimmer. I want to keep it simple but also love the potential of reducing the amount of maintenance I need to do daily/weekly. Obviously, since I want to do a wide tank, and there doesn't seem to be much out there already setup for a sump, I would have to do the modifications myself. So, there my concerns come in about making it too complicated and it getting really expensive. 

I read the the beginner section and it appears that the recommendation is that a skimmer is not needed, but I wonder if some of the beginner advice has changed with new technology and affordability since a lot has changed since 2002. 

So, are there other options you would recommend? To sump or not to sump? Skim or no? I think I will plan to do an ATO no matter which direction I go since the benefits seem to be pretty clear.  Thanks for the help and patience with a newbie. 

You will have to monitor water parameters a bit more closely without a skimmer. I have an Aquamaxx HOB and it never really skims dark but it's nice and stinky. I don't know if I could keep up on the tank without it. I would sump if I could.

I have 2 tanks no skimmer.

Many don't run skimmers on nano's. Its not necessary to have one if you are good with maintenance, low bioload, no over feeding.

An aio is nice because its easy. No plumbing, no extra space needed and it does the same thing as a sump just not as large of water volume.

Archived