Top Shelf Aquatics

Urbanek's ADA Trio

urbaneks

6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Oh. My. Goodness... :wub:

:)

5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Masterfully crafted as usual! It looks incredible with the stained finish. Did you just plane it by hand or do you have a big machine you run it through?

My planer will only accept 12.5" pieces of wood therefore, the two pieces were ran through prior to gluing.  This got them close enough for the glue, once they were joined, I used a combination of sanders to get the way I wanted it.  Oh how I wish I had a larger planer but when you work out of the garage, you have to make sacrifices. 

3 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Haha...not yet. I am notoriously slow at getting started. I'm also in the middle of training classes right now that seems to have taken over my life. Don't worry, I'll post pics when I get around to working on the drawing (or painting).

That latest reclaimed wood project is gorgeous. Can't even tell what it was used for in its previous life. :D

No problem.  Hope to one day see it come to life. 

10 minutes ago, spectra said:

That table looks great! also looks like you need a truck :lol: 

I am with Cristopher on that one what did you run it through? Had to be a big belt sander by the way it looks. I know my neighbor has a nice 36" sander in his garage that does wonders..........

Yeah mine takes off and hides in his rock :rolleyes: all I ever see is a head sticking out..........

Who needs a truck?  The wife's Pilot does the job.  See note above on how I planed it. 

6 minutes ago, DAP said:

Add another person interested on how you planed it.

how thick was the wood after planing?

it looks great!

See post above.  Thanks for the kind words. 

5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

The table looks great - thanks for posting the build pics. But I really like how it turned out next to the tanks. Between the yellow light of the lamp, the natural sun through the window, and the blue light of the tanks, it makes for a beautiful room.

Really appreciate it.  I'm not a huge fan of the blue light :) 

• Like 3

Yeah I have a 12" planer also but like I said my neighbor well..........:lol: he only has a 2 car garage but has a ton of woodworking stuff. He even has a 55 gallon drum vacuum hooked to al the equipment. He actually built me a stand years ago for an Elos tank I had at the time........does great cabinet work.

• Like 2

Hey Brad yes it's me. Tanks look great !  You're woodworking looks amazing once again. How's the Nem doing?  I was always taught that you never add a nem to a new build. 

• Like 1
On 4/5/2017 at 0:10 PM, urbaneks said:

April 5th, 2017 - Update on Hemlock Bar Top

[...]

IMG_4219_zpspewkr1is.jpg

IMG_4221_zpsx1v9vnvh.jpg

Beautiful work on that tabletop, and the tank room is so nice and cozy looking.  Makes me want to clean up and re-decorate my tank/office room. :lol:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 702250 said:

Hey Brad yes it's me. Tanks look great !  You're woodworking looks amazing once again. How's the Nem doing?  I was always taught that you never add a nem to a new build. 

Good to hear from you.  Hope your tank is doing great. 

Truth be told, I really shouldn't have a nem in these tanks, they are pretty small to be having a nem.  With that said, it's doing well.  It did move to the back side of the tank which I'm not excited about.  I'm hoping that it decides to move again and head to the front.  The clowns only leave it to eat which is pretty awesome. 

7 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Beautiful work on that tabletop, and the tank room is so nice and cozy looking.  Makes me want to clean up and re-decorate my tank/office room. :lol:

Thanks for the view and comment.  It's been a fun project. 

• Like 2

April 9th, 2017 - Full Room Shots

Here are a couple new photos of the new fish room.  The last full room shot I posted was very dark, I wanted to show the room when it's fully lit. 

Thanks for looking.

FRS2_zpsa2zekt33.jpg

FRS1_zpsnahzdfru.jpg

• Like 21
On 4/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, jstuver said:

Love the look! Your home is beautiful!

Much appreciated.  This entire room has been a fun project for me. 

On 4/10/2017 at 0:02 AM, urbaneks said:

April 9th, 2017 - Full Room Shots

Here are a couple new photos of the new fish room.  The last full room shot I posted was very dark, I wanted to show the room when it's fully lit. 

Thanks for looking.

FRS2_zpsa2zekt33.jpg

FRS1_zpsnahzdfru.jpg

Wow!!!!!    Looks so good.  ? Very nice job.  

• Like 1

April 16th, 2017 - More Back Lighting Photos

I previously posted a couple phone shots of the back lighting.  I took a few more shots tonight with the DSLR to show some of the color effects I can get with the back lighting. 

In order; white, blue, yellow, green, orange, red

Thanks for looking. 

white_zps0qwdciqa.jpg

Blue_zpsofvjdaef.jpg

Yellow_zpseunnzw2y.jpg

Green_zpse2k420u5.jpg

Orange_zpsv7lrgoyu.jpg

Red_zpssdfnf7lw.jpg

• Like 25
22 hours ago, Bowen1022 said:

Dang the orange and red are incredible. Love this build

The orange is one of my favorites in person.  It has a nice sunrise look to it. 

22 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

By far the most attractive build I've seen in awhile:)

Thanks so much!

14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

This is like next level sh*t.  :bowdown:

Ridiculous.  

Next level commenting as well.  Thanks for the view and comment. 

12 hours ago, kimberbee said:

#tankgoals

Thanks you so much. 

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

I'm still blown away by it all. The backlighting is just a cherry on top :wub: 

Do you just turn the backlight on when you're home, or do you have it set to cycle through colors or something like that? It has one of those little button battery remotes with colored buttons, right?

• Like 3
On 4/18/2017 at 5:50 AM, TJ_Burton said:

The backlighting is just awesome!!!

Thank you.  

On 4/18/2017 at 8:31 AM, Christopher Marks said:

I'm still blown away by it all. The backlighting is just a cherry on top :wub: 

Do you just turn the backlight on when you're home, or do you have it set to cycle through colors or something like that? It has one of those little button battery remotes with colored buttons, right?

Thanks for the view and comment.  The back light is on the apex and runs in the morning during the ramp up and in the evening during the ramp down.  I can turn the light on/off thru the APEX but I have to use the remote to change colors.  

On 4/21/2017 at 1:24 PM, joshky said:

With a hardscape that beautiful it's almost a shame to cover it up, I have never said that before outside of the planted tank community.

Thanks so much.  Hopefully the coral just enhances the scape.  

• Like 1

April 29th, 2017 - Photo Update

The tank has been up and running for just over 2 months now.  After no additions for the last 4 weeks, I just recently added a few new corals.  Here are a few shots I took today. 

Gramma_zps9krr4lsa.jpg

Goni_zpsldqdr52a.jpg

Efflo_zpsszesrvrn.jpg

Acan_zpsj2ofsdxl.jpg

Star_zpss0pbawaa.jpg

• Like 15

May 7th, 2017 - Weekly Update

I forgot what a PITA it is to have a nano in regards to fish jumping.  Since starting the tanks up, I've lost a Cherub Angel and a High Fin Goby.  Call it luck but when I had my larger tank, I did not have issues with fish jumping.  After the 2nd loss, I decided I was going to break down and add lids, I love the look of a clean top without distraction but I want to keep some Helfrichi Fire Fish and a Pygmy Wrasse which are known jumpers.  I priced Artfully Acrylic and was about to order when I found someone local who makes a similar product and was over $100 less for the 3 lids.  He did a great job on the lids, I'm happy with the way they turned out.  Here's a shot of the lids with some nice orange backlight. 

Lids_zpsxmdhya2a.jpg

While I had the camera out, I decided it was time to add some FTS of all 3 tanks.  As you can see, I'm still pretty bare when it comes to coral.  I'm taking it sloooooooow.   The SPS that I added a month ago are encrusted now so I'm feeling pretty good about the state of the tanks.  I have an order in with BattleCorals which will be here on Tuesday.  That will certainly help to get the tanks a bit fuller.  Here are the FTS (Left, Middle, Right)

Left_zpsgwj2j2cg.jpg

Middle_zpszlquqgrl.jpg

Right_zpsjgbabcy4.jpg

And here is the 3 of them stitched together into a single image.  Thanks for looking.

Pano_zpshjzae5f1.jpg

• Like 24