SaltCritters.com

Urbanek's ADA Trio

urbaneks

Wow im totally stealing that accent lighting idea. Its awesome.

12 hours ago, urbaneks said:

Back Lighting

If you missed it in my earlier posts, I added some back lighting to the tanks to help give some added depth to the small aquariums.  The LEDs that I used are from Home Depot and can range from 15 different colors and can dim up and down.  Here is a link to the product I used.  I'm very happy with the addition it provides to the tanks.  I especially like the orange, yellow and red, these colors create what looks like a sunset behind the tanks.  Someone asked recently about the ability to see the back lighting when the Hydras are running.  Here are a few photos of my 3 favorite colors.  I have the back lights configured to come on in my evening lighting program after the main photo period is over.  I'm at work for most of the photo period so there is no sense in running the back lights all day. 

IMG_4732_zpse4wzbwfb.jpg

Orange

IMG_4730_zps0kfztfat.jpg

Yellow

IMG_4731_zpszicdbwug.jpg

Red

Page bump sorry!

• Like 3

Reefing is always at least 10 years behind what FW aquarists do; backlighting has been going on for many, many years. 

Check these before and after photos (not my tank)

29255001000_bb5b5ae080_k.jpg

With backlight

29464244411_78588504e6_k.jpg

• Like 4
19 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Those MP10's blended right in underneath the overflow boxes!

By Design!  Thanks for commenting.  

18 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

the orange and red remind me of a sunset in reverse. It's very moving.

Thank you!  It really does have a nice sunset/rise effect.  

18 hours ago, Militant Jurist said:

This has all of the makings of a future TOTM.

That would be really awesome.  Hopefully one day the fish and coral tell a similar story.  

18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

:o

:D

17 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Absolutely amazing.  Love this thing!

Looks like the scape is one solid formation....traveling from the center out.....like viewing an image on 3 monitors.

Love the wood choice as well. ...everything about the entire build.

Thanks for the view and comment.  You've taken note of some of the finer details that I've stewed over for the last few months.  

17 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

WOW

THANKS!

17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The backlighting effect is fantastic! It think I may shamelessly copy this idea for my 30g frag tank. I applied a frosted glass treatment to the back wall and colored backlighting should look really good. :D

Kudos for a super well thought-out and executed build. Again. Like always :bowdown:

Please copy with pride!  Thanks for the views and comments, again, like always. :)

17 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

I just read through this whole thread, amazing.

the amount of planning alone that had to go into this project is admirable in itself, but as teenyreef said the execution is highly impressive.

the backlighting idea is something I've never seen or even thought of.  this adds a unique element to the ambient lighting effect we all love about our tanks.

we are all following along anxiously!  well done.

Love the comment.  I have put some thought into the build for sure.  This is my 4th reef and I've both learned and forgot some things along the way.  I'm fortunate that a few of my hobbies (wood working, reefing, photography) come together.  

16 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

I love the back-lighting!  Just rocks, water and light, but it already looks like a landscape painting of a sunset. 

I'm adding this to my list of copycat ideas for a future upgrade. :lol:

I think this build justifies a new category: tank of the year. And it doesn't even have corals yet. B)

Copy away!  That's what the forums are all about.  

7 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

So... like a sunrise? :)

:D

7 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Backlighting looks very slick! I love warmer tones with the blues, always been a huge fan of that mix.

Thanks for the continued support on the build.  

7 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Beast mode.

I may have missed this but what did you do with all the coral from your last build? There were a ton of beautiful colonies in there.

I sold frags locally for about 3 months before we moved.  The last day before breakdown, I had a LFS come over and buy what was left.  I have frags of all my favorites at a friends house.  Looking forward to those going in the tank.  

6 hours ago, Arce said:

Wow im totally stealing that accent lighting idea. Its awesome.

Page bump sorry!

Steal with pride!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, brad908 said:

Reefing is always at least 10 years behind what FW aquarists do; backlighting has been going on for many, many years. 

Check these before and after photos (not my tank)

29255001000_bb5b5ae080_k.jpg

With backlight

29464244411_78588504e6_k.jpg

I don't think Urbanek ever claimed to be the first to ever conceive of the idea, but he at least used a back light with a different color to create contrast and sunset-like feel.  The above example, while admittedly very pretty, just creates a more even illumination of the back wall.  

• Like 4
7 hours ago, 702250 said:

Tanks look great Brad!  I have a pair of yasha gobies with a pistol in your old tank. They are very entertaining once they settle in

Jack, is that you?  Going incognito with 702250.  Thanks for the view and comment.  I hope all is well with your new tank. 

2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

any updates for us??

Not a whole lot going on with the tanks right now.  I added bacteria for 2 weeks to seed the tank.  I now how a pair of designer clowns in one of the tanks that are adding some interest.  I've been testing the tank to make sure it's ready for coral.  Right now, everything is looking good with the exception of phosphate.  Phos tested at .24, after a couple days of running GFO it tested at .14.  Once I get my phos down around .05 or less and all the other parameters are good, I will add a couple more fish and some coral. 

While I'm waiting for the tank to cycle up I've been working on the bar top that will be in the same room as the tanks.  I'm in the staining/top coating process now.  I hope to have the bar done by the end of the week.  Once that's done, I will post up a few photos and start getting more updates on the tank. 

• Like 4

Absolutely incredible - everything about this is just amazing. It will be exciting to see how this progresses with fish/livestock!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Every thought of putting a frosted film on the back side to better disburse the backlight? I've seen that before on some planted tanks.

• Like 1

March 27, 2017 - Photo Update

It's been a while since I've updated the journal.  More than anything, there has not been much to talk about.  I ran the tanks for 2 weeks with no live stock while adding bacteria daily to seed the tank.  I then added a pair of clowns which helped ensure the system was ready for additional live stock.  A Yasha/Pistol combo and Starry Blenny were added about a week ago.  After running the system for more than a month, I've finally deemed the system ready for a couple coral additions.  Here are a couple shots I took tonight.  Thanks for looking.

StarryBlenny_zpsyjdglluo.jpg

Starry Blenny - Like a Boss

StarryBlenny2_zps15bwonq0.jpg

A second shot since he was cooperating

Yasha_zps07bviwyo.jpg

Captive Bred Yasha Goby from Live Aquaria - These guys are awesome, not shy like the other Yasha's I've had

ROAB_zpszsyveh24.jpg

First coral addition - ROAB Digitata - This is my test canary for coral additions

• Like 17
gone_PHiSHin

I'm so damn excited for this, like it was my own tank haha

starry blennies are incredible looking fish, so unique.  and yashas are one of my favorites!  well done on the choices

• Like 1

I have a starry as well. Great fish! Mine eats off a veggie clip and is constantly has a big round belly. 

Yasha looks awesome as well, and that digitata looks fantastic.  Gotta find some of that local. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, urbaneks said:

ROAB_zpszsyveh24.jpg

First coral addition - ROAB Digitata - This is my test canary for coral additions

Everything looks great. I am pretty sure this guy is a Montipora Stellata. Beautiful coral with contrast and unique growth. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Everything looks great. I am pretty sure this guy is a Montipora Stellata. Beautiful coral with contrast and unique growth. 

I have to agree with you.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

awesome, you know we like pics!

what kind of clowns?

On 3/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, hinnenkm said:

Absolutely incredible - everything about this is just amazing. It will be exciting to see how this progresses with fish/livestock!

Thanks for sharing!

On 3/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, JDH said:

Every thought of putting a frosted film on the back side to better disburse the backlight? I've seen that before on some planted tanks.

14 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

I'm so damn excited for this, like it was my own tank haha

starry blennies are incredible looking fish, so unique.  and yashas are one of my favorites!  well done on the choices

14 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

As always, your pictures are impeccable. B)

Thanks for the kind words.  

7 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

I have a starry as well. Great fish! Mine eats off a veggie clip and is constantly has a big round belly. 

Yasha looks awesome as well, and that digitata looks fantastic.  Gotta find some of that local. 

The Starry is one of my favorites.  I had one in my old tank and swore I'd have one again.  One of the LFS had little 1.5" guys in which was perfect for my small tank.  

7 hours ago, 4x5 said:

Looking really good, I love the Yasha Goby - I've always wanted one.  

They are really cool fish.  I've had them in the past and they were very shy.  If you can find captive bred near you they are way more outgoing.  Mine actually swims with the clownfish.  

4 hours ago, uwdanno said:

You could and probably are right.  I was going off of memory which is not a good idea.  

1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Great pictures. What kind of camera setup are you using?

All but the last grouping of photos was taken with an Iphone.  The nicer livestock pics were taken with my Canon 70D with a 100mm macro lens.  

• Like 4

Love the additions. Question for you, with the light behind the tank if you turn it blue does it help give an extra pop that you notice? I am using a halide over my tank but I need an extra pop and I have the back of my tank like yours so I am curious if I added the blue pop back there if it would work...

8 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Love the starry! Oh, and the yassa!

Everyone loves the Starrys!  They are easy to like.  One of the most personable fish out there.  And yes that Yasha, hopefully one day soon, I can get a photo of her with her pistol companion. 

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's a killer starry blenny shot! What a rad fish.

Agree!  Thanks again for the view and comment. 

5 hours ago, jstuver said:

Love the additions. Question for you, with the light behind the tank if you turn it blue does it help give an extra pop that you notice? I am using a halide over my tank but I need an extra pop and I have the back of my tank like yours so I am curious if I added the blue pop back there if it would work...

Yes, I can definitely see a difference when the light is on vs. off.  It really helps to eliminate shadows from behind the tanks more than it provides a pop.  Not sure you'd get the "pop" in the tank you are looking for.  May be better to supplement with overhead LED or T5.