inTank Media Baskets

Urbanek's ADA Trio

urbaneks

Not sure how I missed this build. Everything from the design to the back-lighting is perfect. Love that custom floating shelf/light mount. Well done.

• Like 2

Tanks are Salty

A giant step forward, the tanks are wet!  I'm happy to report that the water is in and I've started dosing bacteria daily to get the tank ready for a couple fish.  Here are a few photos to mark the big day.  Here soon, I will get the good camera out to see if I can get some better photos.  Everything has been phone pics up to this point. 

Thanks goes to all that have view, liked and commented thus far.  I'm looking forward to getting the system cycle and start stocking. 

IMG_4720_zpsvrklqytu.jpg

A View from the Left

IMG_4721_zpsqlfnaeen.jpg

A View from the Right

IMG_4719_zpsxkgtscus.jpg

Left

IMG_4718_zpscskhc3vs.jpg

Center

IMG_4717_zpsgwb1gadi.jpg

Right

• Like 20
Paleoreef103

That's fantastic! What are the plans for the three tanks? I always wanted to do something like this so I could have a species tank without feeling like I was giving up so much diversity. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Fantastic! I think the left one is still my favorite, but I'm curious to see what happens with that open space in the right tank :happy: 

And I just noticed the cave in the right tank! It really is winning me over @urbaneks :lol: 

• Like 2
On 3/8/2017 at 5:46 AM, MakoMan36 said:

It's already looking pretty even without livestock. It'll be cool if there's a 2" bulkhead connecting those tank together on the side so fishes can travel to all three tanks.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment.  I remember so old school acrylic tanks that had the connecting tubes.  I want to keep some fish in each one that would normally not play nice together so the connection tubes are not an option for this build. 

On 3/8/2017 at 6:46 AM, Pjanssen said:

Just found this this thread and all I can say is WOW! Seriously Wow! This is the exact set up I would build if you didn't beat me to it. And if I had the talent and skills (and paycheck) to pull it off :lol:. There are a lot of beautiful tank builds on this forum, but so far this is my favorite. Looking forward to seeing it grow into "our" vision.

This is a really awesome comment!  I appreciate the kinds words.  Compared to my last setup this one is pretty inexpensive.  Hope one day you can build something similar or even better, build it better. 

On 3/8/2017 at 7:09 AM, Rehype said:

Two words....Incredibly Awesome

Two words... Thank You!

On 3/8/2017 at 8:54 AM, cnseekatz said:

Not sure how I missed this build. Everything from the design to the back-lighting is perfect. Love that custom floating shelf/light mount. Well done.

Thanks!  The thread is less than 2 weeks old so it really hasn't been around long enough to miss it.  :)

13 hours ago, Arce said:

I love how you used the rocks to hold back the sand and create layers. 

The middle tank is my favorite

Thank you!  This is a concept that I've tried in past but it's never worked because sand can escape through the smallest holes.  The Reef Weld allowed me to close in the pockets behind the rocks so that they'd hold sand. 

11 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Is the backlighting visible when the main LEDs (Hydras?) are on?

It is if you alter the color from something other than white or blue.  It's actually an awesome effect in the evening.  I will post up a couple photos of a few of my favorite colors. 

10 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Wow. Stunning!

Appreciated!

10 hours ago, clayjess said:

Wow that looks amazing , my jaw just dropped looking at those tanks ???they look unbelievable and amazing !

Glad you approve!  Thanks for the view and comments. 

9 hours ago, Paleoreef103 said:

That's fantastic! What are the plans for the three tanks? I always wanted to do something like this so I could have a species tank without feeling like I was giving up so much diversity. 

Plans are still being developed.  What I do know is a pair of designer clowns, a pair of yasha gobies paired with a pistol, Cherub Angel, Tanaka's Pygmy Wrassse, some of the crazy inverts like sexy shrimp, pom pom crab, etc. 

6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Fantastic! I think the left one is still my favorite, but I'm curious to see what happens with that open space in the right tank :happy: 

And I just noticed the cave in the right tank! It really is winning me over @urbaneks :lol: 

The one on the left does have a lot going for it.  That 2nd rock outcrop really makes that one.  I really like open swimming area which is why I think I'm drawn to the left.  Again, thanks for the views and comments.  Hope to meet you in person since you live local to me. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

:wub:

:D

• Like 1

Back Lighting

If you missed it in my earlier posts, I added some back lighting to the tanks to help give some added depth to the small aquariums.  The LEDs that I used are from Home Depot and can range from 15 different colors and can dim up and down.  Here is a link to the product I used.  I'm very happy with the addition it provides to the tanks.  I especially like the orange, yellow and red, these colors create what looks like a sunset behind the tanks.  Someone asked recently about the ability to see the back lighting when the Hydras are running.  Here are a few photos of my 3 favorite colors.  I have the back lights configured to come on in my evening lighting program after the main photo period is over.  I'm at work for most of the photo period so there is no sense in running the back lights all day. 

IMG_4732_zpse4wzbwfb.jpg

Orange

IMG_4730_zps0kfztfat.jpg

Yellow

IMG_4731_zpszicdbwug.jpg

Red

• Like 24

Absolutely amazing.  Love this thing!

Looks like the scape is one solid formation....traveling from the center out.....like viewing an image on 3 monitors.

Love the wood choice as well. ...everything about the entire build.

• Like 2

The backlighting effect is fantastic! It think I may shamelessly copy this idea for my 30g frag tank. I applied a frosted glass treatment to the back wall and colored backlighting should look really good. :D

Kudos for a super well thought-out and executed build. Again. Like always :bowdown:

• Like 4
gone_PHiSHin

I just read through this whole thread, amazing.

the amount of planning alone that had to go into this project is admirable in itself, but as teenyreef said the execution is highly impressive.

the backlighting idea is something I've never seen or even thought of.  this adds a unique element to the ambient lighting effect we all love about our tanks.

we are all following along anxiously!  well done.

• Like 1

I love the back-lighting!  Just rocks, water and light, but it already looks like a landscape painting of a sunset. 

I'm adding this to my list of copycat ideas for a future upgrade. :lol:

1 hour ago, Militant Jurist said:

This has all of the makings of a future TOTM.

I think this build justifies a new category: tank of the year. And it doesn't even have corals yet. B)

• Like 3

Beast mode.

I may have missed this but what did you do with all the coral from your last build? There were a ton of beautiful colonies in there.

• Like 1