SaltCritters.com

Fluval mini power lamp for 8gall reef tank?????

Milky Way

Hi folks! I need your advise pls. I'm a newbie in reef aquariums. I've had success with heavy planted 75, 55, 8gall. fresh water tanks, but it's not challenging for me anymore. I'm going to start 8 gall nano cube with live sand and rocks. I have 2 of these lights (pic. below this text) 13W, 6500K per each lamp. IS it going to be enough for some soft corals and mushrooms healthy growth in 8 gall???????? Or do i need to change it for LED? i'm so confused with lightening situation in reef tanks. 

c6HetEBahG0.jpg

That is very similar to the single perch light I have used over the 4g tank in my sig. (see sig for link). 

I think it should be fine for that, although the color isn't ideal. Is there a different bulb that is more reef specific with a color temp more in the blue range that you could get and swap out? I honestly don't know if they make one for that fixture, but they did for mine, so it's worth checking out on Marine Depot or Fosters & Smith. 

It will work for some softies but the colour spectrum isn't ideal. You want 10,000k and up. 

With that light you will get slow growth and poor colouration in the corals, they will look tan or brown.

thanks for reply!

What about LED light that comes with Fluval EVO 13,5??? i believe it had  14000K, will it be enough? or i need to find anything stronger?

Archived