Innovative Marine Aquariums

I think im losing my hammer coral

Still beginning

Is it in a high flow area?

What is your alk, mag, and ca levels.

Parameter swings or too low of the major 3 will cause issues with lps.

Too high of flow can cause this as well

Still beginning
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is it in a high flow area?

What is your alk, mag, and ca levels.

Parameter swings or too low of the major 3 will cause issues with lps.

Too high of flow can cause this as well

I have it in medium flow and light. 

Alk-13dkh

mag-1260ppm

cal-30 drops

ph 7.9

Two questions: when was this hammer first added to your tank and when was your tank established (completed cycling)?

If it's been recently added it could well just be acclimating.  

As for your parameters, it would also help to know salinity, temperature and nitrates.  I'd assume the tank has finished cycling, but nevertheless, you'll want to rule out ammonia and nitrite just in case.

Your alkalinity seems a bit excessive, though.

As said previous it could be acclamation it's going through. Is it close to other corals?  I had to move mine away from the Hollywood stunner chalice that was stinging it. Two heads were almost dead but came back when I moved it. Is there any sign of brown jelly? A couple of years ago it also went through brown jelly and once I dipped the colony in iodine it healed up.

Still beginning
2 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Two questions: when was this hammer first added to your tank and when was your tank established (completed cycling)?

If it's been recently added it could well just be acclimating.  

As for your parameters, it would also help to know salinity, temperature and nitrates.  I'd assume the tank has finished cycling, but nevertheless, you'll want to rule out ammonia and nitrite just in case.

Your alkalinity seems a bit excessive, though.

1 hour ago, vegasgundog said:

As said previous it could be acclamation it's going through. Is it close to other corals?  I had to move mine away from the Hollywood stunner chalice that was stinging it. Two heads were almost dead but came back when I moved it. Is there any sign of brown jelly? A couple of years ago it also went through brown jelly and once I dipped the colony in iodine it healed up.

The hammer was added to my tank roughly 3 weeks ago. My tank completed cycling 5 months ago. I keep my salinity at exactly .25 and temp is kept at 75 i have no ammonia in my tank when i tested friday. He is not close to any other corals and not any signs of brown jelly ?

Still beginning
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Salinity should be either 1.025 or 1.026 for corals.

Temp is low. Should be 78-80

Alk is high at 13

I'm not sure what 30 drops of ca means? 

Any ideas on how to lower my alk? I will raise the temp to 79

It depends. If your salt is mixing high then it has to be lowered pior to adding to the tank or switching salt brands. There is an acid that lowers alk.

I was using rscp and my alk was creeping to past 11 and my sps weren't happy so i switched salts. Things are happier now with my alk at 8.7

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It depends. If your salt is mixing high then it has to be lowered pior to adding to the tank or switching salt brands. There is an acid that lowers alk.

I was using rscp and my alk was creeping to past 11 and my sps weren't happy so i switched salts. Things are happier now with my alk at 8.7

High alk isn't necessarily a problem if your accompanying nutrients levels are correspondingly high. A sudden alk swing at this point could hurt things? We can come to a better conclusion if we know what his NO3 and Po4 levels are as well. 

Well of course a major drop would effect things greatly, thats a given. The alk would have to be slowly lowered.

13dkh is very high and most wouldn't recommend it be kept at that level even with high nutrients. 

The highest would be 11.

From observations and fellow reefers 8-10 is optimal dkh. 

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Alk is high at 13

what "30 drops" means? Another reefing lingo?

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What salt did you switch to?

18 hours ago, Still beginning said:

I have it in medium flow and light. 

Alk-13dkh

mag-1260ppm

cal-30 drops

ph 7.9

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Alk is high at 13

22 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

what "30 drops" means? Another reefing lingo?

My guess is we're talking about the API calcium test kit, where you add drops of 1 solution into another until a certain color is achieved. I dont have the instructions in front of me but my tanks tends to be around the 22 drop range which if I recall is about 440ppm. If you're at 30 and using the API test kit and my math is correct your calcium is at close to 600ppm!

Somethings off here, if your salinity is 1.025, your calcium is over 500ppm, your alk is at 13 and you're not dosing either you've discovered super magic reef salt or one of the above parems are incorrect (I'd hazard a guess the salinity is higher than 1.025, only because its more likely one metric is incorrect vs. the other 3 or 4 being wrong)

Something is definitely off. Can you please confirm what your calcium is at?

Do you use a hydrometer or refractometer for salinity?

I switched to aquaforest reef salt.

Parameters seem quite off to me as well, but your Hammer looks savable for sure. Test the parameters of your salt water mix-if it is more in range, then start doing 5-10% water changes daily. Figure out why your levels are all so high.

Still beginning

I will have to buy the second test kit. I am currently having my lfs to test parameters. But i use a hydrometer to check salinity it says .025 when i check it and maybe i did buy a box of magic salt ??. Right now i am doing 20% water changes every tuesday. Which is what i was recommended with this being a 10 gal. I use instant ocean only because i dont want to change anything untill i figure out what i should be changing. I do appreciate all the tips

15 minutes ago, Still beginning said:

I will have to buy the second test kit. I am currently having my lfs to test parameters. But i use a hydrometer to check salinity it says .025 when i check it and maybe i did buy a box of magic salt ??. Right now i am doing 20% water changes every tuesday. Which is what i was recommended with this being a 10 gal. I use instant ocean only because i dont want to change anything untill i figure out what i should be changing. I do appreciate all the tips

Theres your problem. A Refractometer. Buy one. How much did that hammer cost you? Not having one will cost you more in the long run.

Hydrometers aren't reliable. 1 tiny bubble, salt residue, or uneven can alter the number. A refractometer is far more reliable. 

I would also invest in your own test kits because at times you will need to test more often than 1 time a week and its far more reliable to do your own testing.

Archived