Coral Vue Hydros

ideal filtration during 1st cycle

Rev_Svejk

I'm super stoked that I was able to pick up the IM Nuvo24+3x8w leds on www.aquadepot-europe.com for only 200euro yesterday.  I also got the custom caddy for 9euro and the filtration refills for a song.  I've only ever run bio filtration in my other nano.  This one will come with the overflow into filter baskets containing sponge/carbon/phosphate absorbing sponges.  Should I be using these while the tank cycles, or just cut it back to sponge only?  I'm a bit confused about when it's good to use carbon and not.  It obviously appears that IM would expect you to run it all the time as well as the phosphate absorbers.  What are the thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Most people save more expensive chemical media until after the cycle has become established (and just use mechanical filter media, like floss).  If using a sponge instead of floss, make sure to keep it clean (or it will become a biological filter, and a potential nitrate producer).

Maintain good water flow and run your heater at a typical temp (26 degrees C).  Most people leave their tank lights off while the cycle is being established (to help prevent excessive algae growth).

Thanks! So it sounds like a good general principle to replace the mechanical sponge with filter floss and leave the bio filter to live rock.  Aside from bio build-up, is there a downside to these anti-phosphate sponges?

54 minutes ago, Rev_Svejk said:

So it sounds like a good general principle to replace the mechanical sponge with filter floss and leave the bio filter to live rock.

Most people do.  It's typically cheaper, so it's more practical to replace it more frequently.

55 minutes ago, Rev_Svejk said:

Aside from bio build-up, is there a downside to these anti-phosphate sponges?

Maybe cost.  You might look into putting a little Phosguard in a reusable media bag instead.

Use up what you have for media, then replace them with your preferred media.

flatlandreefer

Filter floss will be much easier than a sponge, you just take it out throw it in the trash and put some new floss in when it is dirty.  The sponge you will have to clean every time which might deter you from doing that regularly. Plus floss is cheap!

Ditch the sponge. It will become an issue with nitrates. Filter floss is so much easier and cheaper. 

Buy filter floss in bulk, its cheap. Cut it to size and replace 1-2 times a week. 

During cycle i have only ever used floss and carbon.  

Once your tank passes the cycle period you then can add things like purigen and use phosguard as needed. 

Archived