Cultivated Reef

Going back to Halides

Fnard

Through no fault of its own, I think I've finally decided that I've had enough with my Razor/T5 set up. Always liked my MH and want to go back. Now the fun part, what to go with. My tank is 36x24x12, housing softies, gorgs and RFAs. I'm want to go with 2 separate pendants for a couple of reasons. 1) Not digging the big fixture over the whole top look anymore 2) Have been growing out some mangroves in my fuge and plan on moving them to the DT soon. With 2 pendants I will be able to adjust height accordingly as they grow. As far as fixtures, it seems like there aren't too many around anymore (damn LEDs) so I may go the DIY route. I know I have 2 behemoth 400w ballasts, but those will be waaaay too much for such a shallow tank, and could you imagine both over it? So, if anyone could recommend any ballasts, retros or such, including what wattage you think would suffice. Will be using 14k phoenix bulbs as they always look good for me. Thanks

Interestingly enough, I have a friend who I think still has one or two MH pendants that she has in storage, she doesn't even have tanks right now. 

I sent her your info to see if she might be willing to sell them to you. 

I believe one was a 150 MH and one was a 250w. 

I always liked the Phoenix 14k bulbs myself. 

It's funny, cause I'd love to get a t5/led fixture, but I suspect that will be down the road a little bit. 

Good luck!!

7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Interestingly enough, I have a friend who I think still has one or two MH pendants that she has in storage, she doesn't even have tanks right now. 

I sent her your info to see if she might be willing to sell them to you. 

I believe one was a 150 MH and one was a 250w. 

I always liked the Phoenix 14k bulbs myself. 

It's funny, cause I'd love to get a t5/led fixture, but I suspect that will be down the road a little bit. 

Good luck!!

Thanks Weetie! That could work. If I resist the urge to hoard the light, which usually is futile with all my equipment, I'll be sure to keep you in mind if you have any interest. 

I know the feeling fnard I always miss having halides. I went with the reefbrite hybrid 250watt on my previous build and it was an awesome fixture.

I like halides for several reasons. They put out a huge amounts of light for one fixture. They give great effects. They grow corals. The downside is the heat and power consumption.

id imagine with LED's being as popular as they are, you'll be able to find any number of halide fixtures for pretty cheap. If new is your thing, I know Hamilton is still selling them.

Ok, so she says she still has the 150 MH. 

It comes with a ballast that has an attached timer, and a custom reflector. 

It's a bit of NR history, as it was originally Flo's light. 

She's an early days fixture from NR, you may not know who she is. 

I mean to add they have offer a twin arc bulb which is basically two bulbs in one and they also have a dimmable ballast that allows you to dim the bulbs to 50%

I loved mine

21160505981_b6935c7458.jpg

21152714205_92b70d140e.jpg

21142479452_bc30ea4cea.jpg

I went back to halide for my 16 gallon. If you're looking into a new setup, check out the Luxcore electronic ballasts, they have selectable wattage. Reflectors are getting kind of scarce, I got a Giesemann off eBay for a good deal. Hamilton is still selling the Cayman sun which apparently does a quality job. If you're going for 2 pendants I'd choose 150w DE, plenty of power. 175w SE does offer better bulb options though, especially with that magnificent Radium 20k...

As to the downsides, honestly the only major one is heat. If you can find a way to deal with the heat in the summer time, it is worth it. The power usage is only a few dollars more per month, and in the winter it means you only have to run a heater at night. Bulb lifespan is greatly increased with electronic ballasts as well. 

Archived