Top Shelf Aquatics

Awful smell in tank

Dmann1985

I've got a 20 long recently set up, and the last two water changes I've done the tank, has a horrible, gagging almost sweet smell. Don't notice it until I have the top off working in it. I'm thinking maybe a dead snail or two, mainly because I only have 4 and I haven't seen two of them for a while.  Any ideas? Or can anyone confirm if a dead snail will cause this odor?

Dead snails and snail waste doesn't smell sweet, its a disgusting smell.

Running carbon is a good choice and going hoodless will offer better gas exchange. 

Oh it's disgusting alright I'm still sick to my stomach from it. Just added a bag of carbon with my usual chemipure blue. I may be doing some aggressive water changes this week.  If not dead snails, what else could this stench be?

Something dying or gases possibly. 

I've never had a smell in my tank but volunteered at my friends store and the snail tanks were enough to make me gag but we're talking like a tank full of snails.  

I would try hoodless to see if its the cause as well. 2 snails really wouldn't cause that bad of a smell.

How recently is this tank setup were talking? Could it be from some fresh live rock dying off? Ive had lr that was pretty nasty until tank was well cycled and all gunk eaten by cuc.

About a month, a few pieces of rock came from my old tank and I did have a new piece from lfs but I removed it thinking it was causing the smell. The rest of the rock was dry reefsaver rock from brs.

Don't think it's a dead snail smell. Especially if the tank is established (but I see yours is new). I had a pretty large Mexican Turbo snail die in a 7gal behind a rock and didn't notice it for about a week. No smell at all while in the water but I almost threw up after it hit the air. I think the bacteria work on them while they're in the water.  If you leave the old floss or other filter material around the tank while your finishing the change and cleaning up, it will create quite an odor until you trash it?

Archived