Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anenome HELP!!!

Purplexenia26

Purplexenia26

So I just bought some coral and an Anenome, I treated all of it with coral Rx then I read that it can kill the Anenome.... is there anything I can do now to save it or am I just screwed? HELP!!!!

I would try to "rinse" the nem in clean saltwater as best as possible and get it into an isolated tank if possible to monitor it.  If you have a QT instead of putting in the DT I would do that in case it perishes so it doesn't foul your tank.

Anenome is an invert, not a coral.  The dip will injure if not kill the nem.  Iodine has been used on nems for injuries or foot damage before but I have not personally done this...

Purplexenia26

The tank is a couple years old, i kinda took it over and am fairly new to this. There's soooo much to learn. So far my Bubble tip Anenome seems to be doing okay this morning. It's color is still good and it's inflating fine, it def doesn't look as full as when I bought it so I'm sure I made it annoyed but I'm hoping it pulls through. I only dipped it for less than 5 min. I acclimated it with the coral through a drip line and just added the coral rx to that, that's how this disaster happened. I just didn't realize it wasn't coral so it shouldn't be dipped

RIP Sebastian
6 minutes ago, Purplexenia26 said:

The tank is a couple years old, i kinda took it over and am fairly new to this. There's soooo much to learn. So far my Bubble tip Anenome seems to be doing okay this morning. It's color is still good and it's inflating fine, it def doesn't look as full as when I bought it so I'm sure I made it annoyed but I'm hoping it pulls through. I only dipped it for less than 5 min. I acclimated it with the coral through a drip line and just added the coral rx to that, that's how this disaster happened. I just didn't realize it wasn't coral so it shouldn't be dipped

You shouldn't have nems if your tank is less than six months old. You clearly need to do some research.

Welcome to nano reef. Normally a tank that is 2 years old should be mature enough to add an anemone. BUT you stated that you are new to this hobby so it would have been better to wait until you learned a little bit more about reef tanks. If possible a QT would be the safest place for the anemone. If it dies in your display tank it could foul the tank and kill every thing. Are you testing the water? What are the test results? How long have you been caring for the tank? The more info you share the more the members here can make some recommendations. Good luck with your tank. This is a great forum and a great hobby. Try to read up on any live stock you are thinking of buying. Some livestock is difficult to maintain for anyone and some should be considered only after you learn the basics.

Ideally I would recommend returning it if possible. If not and you want to make a go of it then you need to read up on care quick. 

Nem's will move if they don't like their spot and can easily get sucked into a powerhead or overflow. It will kill them and can easily crash your tank. They also can sting or be stung by corals. 

If you like where the nem has put itself and want to try to keep it there you will need to feed it. Get a bag of frozen silversides. Cut one into a 1/3-1/2" sized pieces. Start with one piece. Defrost it in a cup of tank water. Use tongs to place it in the tentacles. Observe to make sure it isn't spit out. Feed daily or every other day. Monitor water parameters and plan on an aggressive 10% water change schedule. 

This will I'll be your best bet keeping it where it is. 

Purplexenia26

its been 48hrs since i dipped the nem and it still looks great! so I'm hoping if something was going to happen to it, it would have showed signs by now. Thank you for all the advice!

Archived