Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tang Immune System

CronicReefer

So I bought my first fish yesterday in about 6 months and it's showing signs of disease/parasites after one day (flicking fins/rubbing). It's a Tomini Tang and the last one I bought died from a disease/parasites within a week after being in my tank. My other fish always remain completely healthy. The last time I added a fish was June of last year and if I remember correctly he also rubbed himself against the rocks when I first had him and stopped shortly after. The tang came from a copper system so I'm going to assume it was free from parasites. I'm wondering if there is any foods you would recommend that help a tangs immune system. I'm thinking my fish may be parasite carriers but they are immune because they are never sick. Other fish include spawning clowns, a blind starry blenny, bi-color dottyback, and purple lobster. Quarantine is not an option.

44 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Copper system at the fish store will only hide sickness.  It will not cure it.  That's why the fish will show sickness once removed from the copper system and introduced into your tank.  How big is your tank?  

75 gallons. I always thought copper killed the parasites? 

1 hour ago, CronicReefer said:

So I bought my first fish yesterday in about 6 months and it's showing signs of disease/parasites after one day (flicking fins/rubbing). It's a Tomini Tang and the last one I bought died from a disease/parasites within a week after being in my tank. My other fish always remain completely healthy. The last time I added a fish was June of last year and if I remember correctly he also rubbed himself against the rocks when I first had him and stopped shortly after. The tang came from a copper system so I'm going to assume it was free from parasites. I'm wondering if there is any foods you would recommend that help a tangs immune system. I'm thinking my fish may be parasite carriers but they are immune because they are never sick. Other fish include spawning clowns, a blind starry blenny, bi-color dottyback, and purple lobster. Quarantine is not an option.

Why would you think your fish are carriers? Because they aren't sick and haven't been but your new fish is? 

The one fish rubbing along the rocks when you first got it back last year could have just been stress/irritation/getting used to the new tank.

My guess is the fish that you just got is sick. How do you know it came from a copper tank? Do you know how often the treatment occurred? Copper can and will kill parasites but only if dosed properly. Copper can also kill and injure fish, especially gills and fins, nervous system, kidneys and liver. Copper can also suppress the immune system after prolonged use. If the tank was constantly under copper treatment, it could be that the fish is suffering from copper toxicity.

10 minutes ago, CronicReefer said:

75 gallons. I always thought copper killed the parasites? 

The correct dosage of copper will kill the parasites but LFS runs a very low dosage.  Just enough to suppress the symptoms but not enough to fix the issue.  As to your original question about building up immune system, you can try soaking frozen food in Selcon prior to feeding.  Could be total snake oil though.  I used it for a while.  Doesn't do any harm but if your fish is already sick, I doubt it will cure any disease.

http://www.marinedepot.com/American_Marine_Selcon_Food_Vitamin_Additives_Supplements-American_Marine_Pinpoint_Monitors-AM1511-FIADTEFS-vi.html

26 minutes ago, tibbsy07 said:

Why would you think your fish are carriers? Because they aren't sick and haven't been but your new fish is? 

The one fish rubbing along the rocks when you first got it back last year could have just been stress/irritation/getting used to the new tank.

My guess is the fish that you just got is sick. How do you know it came from a copper tank? Do you know how often the treatment occurred? Copper can and will kill parasites but only if dosed properly. Copper can also kill and injure fish, especially gills and fins, nervous system, kidneys and liver. Copper can also suppress the immune system after prolonged use. If the tank was constantly under copper treatment, it could be that the fish is suffering from copper toxicity.

I'm assuming it's some low dose like ninjamyst said just because it's from the LFS. They did tell me they run copper in the tank just not how much. I can say for sure the tang was in there at least two weeks but I don't know about any longer. I wouldn't think my fish have parasites either but I try not to rule anything out until I'm sure. 

25 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

The correct dosage of copper will kill the parasites but LFS runs a very low dosage.  Just enough to suppress the symptoms but not enough to fix the issue.  As to your original question about building up immune system, you can try soaking frozen food in Selcon prior to feeding.  Could be total snake oil though.  I used it for a while.  Doesn't do any harm but if your fish is already sick, I doubt it will cure any disease.

http://www.marinedepot.com/American_Marine_Selcon_Food_Vitamin_Additives_Supplements-American_Marine_Pinpoint_Monitors-AM1511-FIADTEFS-vi.html

I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion. I feed LRS and Julian Sprung Red and Green algae as well so hopefully it ends up nothing serious.

This is exactly what I mean, though. If your LFS is running copper constantly it actually could be making your fish sick. I would have assumed it would have shown symptoms in the store, but perhaps chronic exposure in this breed of tang has delayed symptoms.

If it is parasites though, you need to treat your tank, not just boost your fish's immune system. 

• 7 months later...