Cultivated Reef

Reef heaters

Jrkrouse13

Currently have an eheim jager 125w which looks huge in my tank! I am looking into purchasing an ac70. What heater would do the trick to stuff it in the filter so it hides the heater and allows me to have chemipure and filter floss as well? My tanks is a 20 long. I have provided a picture to show how large it is in there. 

IMG_3478.JPG

At that size wattage, a cobalt neotherm heater in an AC110 might do well! My AC70 can only hold a neotherm 75W at an angle, and luckily it's in a simple freshwater tank. I couldn't fit it into one of the intank media baskets vertically without going over.

why not hide it vertically behind the highest rock on the left of the tank?

apparently eheims aren't meant to be placed horizontally, it has something to do with the build of the heaters.

19 hours ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

Vw I actually did what you suggested and it looks much better!

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

why not hide it vertically behind the highest rock on the left of the tank?

apparently eheims aren't meant to be placed horizontally, it has something to do with the build of the heaters.

Good to hear that it looks better but you may want to do some more research about the whole ehieim heater not being placed sideways. I've never had one so I can't really comment on that.

I have only used eheims and its all over the net on various boards that eheim states vertical positioning, it has to do with the actual build of the heater, many companies suggest not placing them horizontally.

I would do a search online regarding heaters and horizontal placement. 

From what i have read it has to do with how they are made and prevention of malfunction. 

I've used a few different types and never had them malfunction other than due to personal error. Ideally you should run all of them on some sort of controller. Reefkeeper Lites are pretty cheap ($80 used or less) and you can set it so that the heater outlet will turn off whenever it reaches a certain point (often heaters will fail in the on position and boil your tank). So far I've used Aqueon, Aqueon Pro, SunSun, and now a Cobalt Aquatics Neotherm. The neotherm is very small and is made out of plastic so you don't have to worry about it shattering like typical glass heaters. 

Thanks for the input guys. I went with a 100w aqueon pro based on price and ratings it seemed good and I've never had trouble with their heaters before. It is in vertically although it does say I can fix it horizontally but since this heater is 2" shorter there is no need. I moved the jager to my 40b planted tank and replaced my two year old aqueon 100w. Should be a nice transition all around. 

Archived