Innovative Marine Aquariums

J-Ranko's IM Drop-Off Panorama 20g - new pics

J-Ranko

I recommend the Hanna alk checker, especially now that they have one the directly measures dKh. It's quick and accurate. As far as lighting goes, most acros will at least survive when there's not enough light. You really just need more light to get them to grow faster and color up better. As long as six million other things are perfect too :lol:

• Like 2
Militant Jurist

It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I agree that the API test is probably the incorrect reading, and while your alk level is fine, if there was a swing, that could do it. As teeny said, it's so hard to be 100% sure, because of the delayed reaction of a lot of across. I do recommend the Hannah Checker for alk. I use that for alk and Salifert for calcium, although that will probably go to Hannah when that kit runs out. Hannah is just slightly a higher cost on a per test basis, at least after the initial purchase, but when you figure the precision, accuracy, and ease, it's worth it.

• Like 2

I love my Hanna checkers but the Calcium one sits in the cabinet and never gets used. You have to significantly dilute the sample with RODI, and I was never able to get it to read anywhere near other test kits, or even give close to the same reading from one day to the next. Plus the Salifert Ca kit is easier to use.

I may dust mine off some day and try again, but I've read that others have had similar problems.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I love my Hanna checkers but the Calcium one sits in the cabinet and never gets used. You have to significantly dilute the sample with RODI, and I was never able to get it to read anywhere near other test kits, or even give close to the same reading from one day to the next. Plus the Salifert Ca kit is easier to use.

I may dust mine off some day and try again, but I've read that others have had similar problems.

Mine reads pretty consistent, but the testing process is much more cumbersome than my other hanna checkers 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Militant Jurist said:

It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I agree that the API test is probably the incorrect reading, and while your alk level is fine, if there was a swing, that could do it. As teeny said, it's so hard to be 100% sure, because of the delayed reaction of a lot of across. I do recommend the Hannah Checker for alk. I use that for alk and Salifert for calcium, although that will probably go to Hannah when that kit runs out. Hannah is just slightly a higher cost on a per test basis, at least after the initial purchase, but when you figure the precision, accuracy, and ease, it's worth it.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Hanna checker for alk tests.  Maybe the phosphates, too.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Unlike the Alk tests, I'm pretty confident about the Calcium results since the titration method on both kits agree and are fairly precise. Hanna is a lot more accurate for Alkalinity and phosphates from what I read.

OMG! Baby RFA!

This was shot through the plastic cup, which is partially opaque.  

babyRFA.thumb.jpg.b9776442515ed3ec849ca012f3028eec.jpg

Not sure if it hitch-hiked, or the RFA just decided to bud off a clone since I added it to the tank three days ago...

• Like 5
Nano sapiens
48 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

OMG! Baby RFA!

This was shot through the plastic cup, which is partially opaque.  

babyRFA.thumb.jpg.b9776442515ed3ec849ca012f3028eec.jpg

Not sure if it hitch-hiked, or the RFA just decided to bud off a clone since I added it to the tank three days ago...

Very cool!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

What???

That's crazy!!!

I think it has to have hitchhiked cause of the way they reproduce. 

Ah, I didn't know they only reproduced sexually. Well then, I'll have to keep an eye on this one and spot feed it regularly.  

5 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Very cool!

Thanks. I'm gonna have to figure out a short-term method to contain it so that I can spot feed, without the unsightly plastic bowl in my display. Weetabix's air plant glass container might do the trick as a "nursery".

After the lights went out I took a look at the baby RFA under a flashlight and was surprised to discover another one.  TWO baby RFA!

twobabyRFA.thumb.jpg.4bfe490b0ad198ad16d3ca843fc08e82.jpg

:lol:

• Like 5
Legendary Corals
5 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

After the lights went out I took a look at the baby RFA under a flashlight and was surprised to discover another one.  TWO baby RFA!

You may have gotten a pregnant Rock Flower and it gave birth in your tank. Congrats!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Legendary Corals said:

You may have gotten a pregnant Rock Flower and it gave birth in your tank. Congrats!

This is what I was wondering about as well. 

Can I be on a list to adopt one of the babies?

An article I read from a Breeder of RFA's says that the March equinox is one of the times they breed/spawn, so you might have just gotten lucky timing!!

It was also very lucky for the babies that you had it in the cup, cause I believe they need feeding, which is MUCH easier in that little cup. 

Give it a couple of days, the momma RFA may pop out a couple more babies in the "nursery". 

Congrats!!

Here's the article: http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazine-tiled-q2-2015-27.html

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Legendary Corals said:

Thanks!  I had no idea these nems developed their babies internally and give birth. That's cool!

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is what I was wondering about as well. 

Can I be on a list to adopt one of the babies?

An article I read from a Breeder of RFA's says that the March equinox is one of the times they breed/spawn, so you might have just gotten lucky timing!!

It was also very lucky for the babies that you had it in the cup, cause I believe they need feeding, which is MUCH easier in that little cup. 

Give it a couple of days, the momma RFA may pop out a couple more babies in the "nursery". 

Congrats!!

Here's the article: http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazine-tiled-q2-2015-27.html

Thanks! I'm gonna be greedy and try and keep both of them for now.  :) I'm hoping I can get at least one of them to survive long-term.  

That article is very helpful. It seems there's no way to tell male and female specimens, so if you want a pair you'll have to just roll the dice. But I'm tempted to start a RFA-only nano for these guys.  

I'm going to have to confine them to a small container for a while to protect them from the strong flow and to prevent them from hiding deep in my rock scape, so that way I can target feed.

1 hour ago, gena said:

So I guess you know you have a girl RFA...so cool!!!!

I guess so. I didn't notice these two when I first brought the RFA home. They could have potentially hitchhiked, but their sudden appearance suggest birth. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

That is just plain awesome!!

• Like 1

I was just telling my husband about this and got on here and saw this pic, that is SO COOL!!!

Had to drag hubby over and show him the pic. 

He had actually wanted me to get the RFA that was the same coloration as yours. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I was just telling my husband about this and got on here and saw this pic, that is SO COOL!!!

Had to drag hubby over and show him the pic. 

He had actually wanted me to get the RFA that was the same coloration as yours. 

Maybe if you get another one this week you could get one with a baby, too!  Spring equinox is just five days away. :) 

5 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Maybe if you get another one this week you could get one with a baby, too!  Spring equinox is just five days away. :) 

Yesssss, I have considered this. :ninja:

• Like 1
On 3/15/2017 at 6:34 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Yesssss, I have considered this. :ninja:

Do or do not, there is no "consider". :lol:

By the way, my air plant container arrive today.  It's drying from a vinegar bath, and I'm not sure yet whether to house the baby RFAs with their mother or just house them separately.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Do or do not, there is no "consider". :lol:

By the way, my air plant container arrive today.  It's drying from a vinegar bath, and I'm not sure yet whether to house the baby RFAs with their mother or just house them separately.

They might be easier to feed if you do them separately. 

I think Flowermama uses a turkey baster to pick up her RFA babies and move them.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

They might be easier to feed if you do them separately. 

I think Flowermama uses a turkey baster to pick up her RFA babies and move them.

So I managed to move the two RFA babies into the air plant container.  I used a turkey baster to pick up one of them, but the other was firmly attached to the rock, so I put the rock in the container.

The RFA mama won't let go of the plastic container, though. So I'm stuck with both containers in the tank for now I while I figure out a way to get it to detach. :closedeyes: