Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supplemental Blue Accent lighting in JBJ 24 LED Nanocube

zma21

So about six months ago my wife and I bought one of the newer "next generation" 24 gallon LED JBJ nanocubes. (this one).  Overall I've been pleased with it.  It uses what appears to be decent quality high output cree led's.  The problem is that the color is closer to 12k when I really like 14k or a touch more blue.  PAR ratings seem to be decent at best, but it does appear to touch 400 a few inches below the surface but drops off to 80 at the sand bed.  I have no intention of fully replacing these LED's, although I have a pair of boost led par 30's in my garage that I adore (my wife states that we need to maintain a lid on the tank, and I agree).  

We're done buying our livestock and want to grow things out.  We have a black ice/ chocolate ocellaris pair, about 7 types of low to mid quality zoa's, frogspawn and torch, a LTA, and ORA birdsnest and purple monti that will be here Tuesday.  The SPS are an experiment, and will be hanging out at the top of the tank soaking up the rays and parked in front of the vortech.  The LTA, to my moderate surprise, appears to be getting enough light all the way down at the sand bed.  He has colored up tremendously from the LFS and seems fat and happy.

I've looked into stunner strips and want to try and mount some deep blue in the hood.  But I want to see if anyone has tried this first on my specific tank.  All of my google-fu work just turns up people replacing the compact fluorescents with LED's, which isn't what I'm after.

My recent issue is that we bought a beautiful pink/orange zoa rock at the LFS yesterday and under my lights they're brown with maaaaybe a hint of pink.  The LFS lights were probably 15k or so.

Well after doing some more research it looks like I might try to buy some waterproof LED Strips from ebay.  They're multiple colors, but they're $10.  THey're exactly what hamilton makes for $40, but Hamilton is only one color and one intensity.  The ebay strip probably has 5 shades of blue and you can adjust intensity.  At the very worst, these will be my new moonlights and I can finally set my tank up on a light timer.

Archived