Top Shelf Aquatics

15 gallon column tank lighting

xpmtterrx

So I have been having a heck of a time finding the proper bulb or proper lighting kit for this tank (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/15-column-deluxe-aquarium-kit.htm) as the T5 bulb is not sufficient enough.  Are there any replace bulbs that would work for being 24 inches deep?  Or do I need to start looking at LED lighting?  I have been out of aquariums for over 10 years and am totally out of the loop.  Tank has been cycling for 30 days with minimal live plants and was looking to add more along with some driftwood, maybe also a large rock structure if there are any ideas.  I just joined as well and was just looking at putting a Betta, MAYBE some neon tetras, snails, and ghost shrimp in the tank.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to add this, I believe the bulb to be 12 inches.  Any other tips or suggestions about the tank would be greatly appreciated.  I was planning on changing out the filter too but if there are other suggestions I'm all ears!  Thanks!

RIP Sebastian
1 hour ago, xpmtterrx said:

Forgot to add this, I believe the bulb to be 12 inches.  Any other tips or suggestions about the tank would be greatly appreciated.  I was planning on changing out the filter too but if there are other suggestions I'm all ears!  Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and skip the column.

5 hours ago, Horerczy said:

A Par30 or par38 lamp like coral compulsion makes would be a good cheap choice.

Thanks for the darn good idea!  I was looking at finnex figueray 12' that may fit in the protective plastic housing with T5.

If its for a freshwater tank, the stock lighting is sufficient. You can buy a clip on glowfish led light to add some colour to it. It clips on inside and is waterproof. You can choose from an array of colours.

You don't need any special lighting for a betta, tetra, etc.

Unless you do liveplants, no lighting upgrade needed 

22 hours ago, Clown79 said:
22 hours ago, Clown79 said:

If its for a freshwater tank, the stock lighting is sufficient. You can buy a clip on glowfish led light to add some colour to it. It clips on inside and is waterproof. You can choose from an array of colours.

You don't need any special lighting for a betta, tetra, etc.

Unless you do liveplants, no lighting upgrade needed 

Yes there are live plants in there.  I went out after looking around and got the https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HRZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1488001050&sr=1-1&keywords=finnex+12+inch.  I'm to mount it next to the t5 in the hood.

• 2 years later...

Archived