Innovative Marine Aquariums

hood or no hood that is the question~?!

rock12

ok what are the positive and negitives of having a hood and not having one?! I did have a hood on before but then got the coral life powerquad and took it off becuase the light wouldn't fit on with the the type of hood i had! No for the question! Would it be best to have a hood on or not!?

holyherbiness

Having a hood causes less salt creep and water splashing around the place, as well as keeping in some jumper fish from killing themselves (fish like many gobies). In addition, there will be less evaporation and you will not have to top off as much

Not having one promotes better gas exchange and helps to lower the temperature of the tank.

Overall, running a tank without a hood is better in my opinion

I would imagine faster evaporation without a hood. And definitely watch out for fish that tend to jump out of tanks. I have a nano with a hood, and one of my fish is a firefish, which is known to make those "jumps". But since my tank has a hood, no worries.

see thats why i'm confused! I might have a jumper fish someday, but i don't know which one is a better reason to or not to have a hood!

-less evaportaion(hood)

-better gas excahnge(without hood)

ok are we tralking ahood or a peice of glass/ acrylic over the tank under the light.

hoods don't slow evap all that much. glass will.

ime put the glass over the tank. slower evap will lead to more stable sg. just leave a 20 inch gap at the back of the tank for equipment and gas exchange. the cover the gap with a plastic grate to keep fish in.

put you lights in a hood. it will help protect them. and werll as focus more light in to your tank.

holyherbiness

You can buy a 20" glass versatop for the aquarium. Found at LFS, drsfostersmith, other online vendors

offsprg, the coralife powerquad comes with mounting legs and it is a fixture. I don't think it is necessary to put them in a hood.

personally i like the open top one better. The glass will reduce the intensity of the light, and the temperatures can rise a lot higher.

but hey, that's my opinion :)

maybe i will keep it open, i just wish it wouldn't evap as much! Plus i have a devil kittie!lol!j/k! shes a sweet heart, but has takin a liking to my tank........ i'm sure she'll keep her paws off of it though!lol!

My cat used to *play* in my tank. I got sick of the cat hair real quick, so I decided to fix her little wagon. I would sit with a water gun in my hand, and yep, everytime she put that paw up there, right in the face she was squirted. She now sits and watches but won't touch, which was my original plan. Now if all the peta freaks wanna flame me, so be it.

lol! Those people go way to far! I love animals and maybe someday want to even be a vet, but i think what they do is going way to far!lol! Yeah my cat hasn't touched it yet, but she sits on the floor looking at it for hours! I'm not sure she ever will i'm just worried about the what~ifs! She likes to go for the fish food though more than the fish themselves!lol! They should make cat proof fish food lids!lol!

true but i was unsure if she was talking about a retro fit or a complete light.

rock any hd or lowes will cut the glass to any size you wantfor you. just take your measurments with you when you go. although a nice glass aquarium top is cool becuase they are hinged, but they are more expensive.

yeah same here! I might have to find a hood, because i'm toping off every day now! I just can take it any more uhhhhh!no j/k but i'd raither not have to top off that much so i'm going to have to find a hood tommorw!

hobby lobby or micheals will cut class as well. but only the thin stuff they use for picture frames. it works but you have to be careful with it.

for got about acrylilc will work just fine. get the thicker stuff though so it wont bow as easy. and you can cut that with a ruler and a razor knife.

i think i'd like glass better cuz i have an acrylilc top on my 1 gal FW tank and it gets frosted like just due to the heat! So i gusse i should go with glass! Where do you get the glass though? Would michels have it there?

i'd go w/ the versa top, it is hinged so you just lift up and considering you have the legs for your coralife aqualight you will need to pull it forward about 2 inches then you can flip it up to do whatever you need. That is what i have on my 20 gal long. It works great and keeps the salt off of the aluminum(sp?) fixture which could corrode it over time.

the versa-tops are only about $10-15 maximum at petsmart/petco

i have legs for the light! I Think i'll go for the light at petco, but does anyone know how much they are in the store? Its says the price is different!

yeah micheals will have it. hobby libby is cheeper. but rember this is very thin picture frame glass. you have to be very careful with it. i'd check to see if hd or lowes will cut you some. i know that the lowes here will cut glass i've had them do it for me. and the galss will be thicher.

the versa hood is awsome as it is hinged. hinged tops are a god send. i have to take my lights off na dht e take the glass top off. it would be so much easier if i have a hinged top.

Archived