inTank Media Baskets

My tiny ocean. 6g edge. Big update!

TinyOcean

* This tank will be moving into a fluval evo 13.5.

So I have decided to turn my 6g fluval edge into a nano tank after I had to dismantle my 8g evolve that ran for 2 years. It had an unfortunate moving accident and got a Crack in it. I'm all about being very low tech with my equipment and to be honest it's because I don't get how to use half the stuff out there! Haha. But in all seriousness I've found that as long as I have enough light for the corals I want and I am diligent with my top offs and maintenance routine I am able to have a successful nano tank without a sump/refugium or expensive modifications. I'm not against using them just power to the people who understand all that stuff. So here is my build thread. 

20170226_202032_zpsgwq6rszb.jpg 

20170315_202800_zpsycnxoumz.jpg

Equipment : 

Fluval edge 6 gallon

Fluval sea marine reef led

Stock filter with sponge,carbon, filter floss

Hydor 25w heater 

Hydor koralia nano 

CUC:

1 blue legged (Skuttlebutt)

4 Stomatella ( Thing 1 & Thing 2, Snickers and Skittles)

2 Nassarius snails ( Snoofle and Hufflepuff)

Corals:

GSP

Mushrooms

Red macroalgae

Toadstool leather

4 Kenya tree's 

Parameters:

Salinity = 1.025

Temp = 80 

PH = 8.2 

Ammonia = 0 

Nitrite = 0 

Nitrate = 0.25 ppm 

Maintenance: 

2 gallon water change every Saturday 

Filter floss changed weekly

Sponge rinsed weekly in old tank water

Carbon changed monthly

*Currently not dosing anything

LRM_EXPORT_20170214_195101_zpskrz9iib1.j

20170214_194418_zpsb7bo1yqg.jpg

20170215_192814.jpg

• Like 7

Bought some more corals today but I did a water change and it's cloudy and things are still angry so pics hopefully tomorrow. Also I am finally having a diatom outbreak. Sigh. It's hideous and of course the lfs didn't have even one snail in stock.

Welcome!  The Edge is a nice looking tank.  I'm another low-tech person because reading about controllers and reactors and stuff just sorta makes my head spin lol.  Not to mention, I don't have that many outlets! :lol:  The zoas are so pretty!  Got a full-tank shot showing their placement?

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome! @ChristopherMarks my lighting was an extremely simple upgrade since I will only be keeping mostly low light corals. I unscrewed the original light that came with the edge shown here.

20170128_123621_zpsbxyxgica.jpg

It would fold down and fit neatly in the lid of the edge. I could have gone with the typical upgrade ive seen where you pop off the glass take out the original leds and add two MR18S but I'm not very good with DIY! So I unscrewed the original lights and then cut off the grate from the edge cover. I mounted the Fluval sea light to the back of the cover with the bracket it came with. It's a stick on one. It doesn't look too bad but I find because of the cover I don't get enough light spread so I have a par38 bulb on order that I will shine in through the right top side and I will be using an architect lamp for that.

20170202_202057_zpscuuqrjpm.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Welcome!  The Edge is a nice looking tank.  I'm another low-tech person because reading about controllers and reactors and stuff just sorta makes my head spin lol.  Not to mention, I don't have that many outlets! :lol:  The zoas are so pretty!  Got a full-tank shot showing their placement?

Haha thank you! I agree I would probably need to take a course to run some of the stuff people are using! I have just a crappy pic right now until I take some more tonight. Cellphones are awful for taking pictures. Keep in mind I am having a diatom outbreak lol.

20170215_192831_zpskwxxdkwb.jpg

Haha no worries!  Half the time I forget to wipe salt streaks off my glass and you can totally see them in pictures lol (link in my sig if you want to see :lol:).  I also had some diatoms recently, probably due to removing the nasty old sandbed.  I like the new one so much better.  I know some people use certain photo apps to help make their pics better with white balance and such (I'm using a cell phone too but I haven't gotten that fancy yet lol).  It looks nice! 

So here is a current FTS:

20170219_201320_zpstozhsjd5.jpg

Currently having my first diatom outbreak. Ugh. But I know it means the tank is starting to mature and I know it will eventually work itself out but it's sooo ugly.

20170219_201347_zpssmwj8x5r.jpg

• Like 1

New zoas! It's hard to get the colours right on a cell but they are dark green with pinky orange centers.

LRM_EXPORT_20170219_212429_zpsfb347bgy.j 

20170219_201335_zpsii1w8rn3.jpg 

There are also two aiptasia I have to zap on them. My lfs always seems to have these things on their zoas. I plan to get em sometime this week but want to give the shrooms I also picked up sometime before doing anything more in the tank this week.

LRM_EXPORT_20170219_212254_zpsdqukcw3h.j

My mushroom garden in the making. They are still a little angry two days later since they were on a big rock I didn't want in my tank so I smashed them off with a hammer. I hope at least some survive lol.

20170220_151823_zpsatozutvk.jpg

20170220_201448_zps4jjn9sf3.jpg

I love mushrooms! I plan on getting a few more and I know they spread like crazy which is what I'm hoping for. Grow babies grow!

1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hey @TinyOcean - Your broken images will return shortly, we're experiencing an issue with the image system that will be resolved soon! They'll return automatically, sorry for the trouble!

Really? But I can see them fine lol

Haha I haven't been seeing other people's new pics all evening.  Figured it was just a bug needing to get worked out. :)

In the meantime, I am sure the mushrooms and zoas look great. :lol:

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I haven't been seeing other people's new pics all evening.  Figured it was just a bug needing to get worked out. :)

In the meantime, I am sure the mushrooms and zoas look great. :lol:

Lol that is so weird. I use photo bucket still so I wonder if that's it but thanks! Lol

9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Pics are showing up this morning and the mushrooms and zoas look very nice indeed!  Looks like you got a nice variety, too. :)

Thanks Lula! Yay Chris for fixing pictures! Haha. Yes I did get about four different kinds of mushrooms on the one rock. My favorite is this purple one with aqua pokadots.

20170221_165849_zpsh59voawj.jpg

Still hoping the smooshed red one makes it lol I wasn't too precise while swinging the hammer to break them off!

I know I have a par38 bulb on the way but everything seems to be quite happy under this fluval sea led so for the heck of it I ordered a Trulumen 3 x 425nm actinic led strip since the fluval is very white. I'm going to see what the par38 looks like but I might just end up supplementing the fluval with the Trulumen actinic. Can't wait to do more coral shopping on sunday!

Stomatellas are adorable!  I had one once upon a time.  Also had a couple limpets once that hitchhiked in on some Florida live rock.  Neat little hitchhikers!

You can try the PAR 38 but I'd say if everything is happy, no need to change things!  Can always save it for a future tank... ;)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Stomatellas are adorable!  I had one once upon a time.  Also had a couple limpets once that hitchhiked in on some Florida live rock.  Neat little hitchhikers!

You can try the PAR 38 but I'd say if everything is happy, no need to change things!  Can always save it for a future tank... ;)

Lol your right! I see like 2 more tanks in my future haha. Once the bug hits it hard to stop wanting more stuff! I hope I'm lucky enough to get a limpet hitchhiker they look cool. Or maybe my Stomatella will have babies and I'll have lots of those! This is why I love having a nano. You pay more attention to the little things and discover so many cool little critters.

• Like 2

This tank needs an update and a big one at that! I've been busy in my little box of ocean so let's see what I've done! 

First. New scape! 

20170226_202032_zpsgwq6rszb.jpg 

I found the old one to be limiting in where I could place corals.

Second. New corals!

The mushroom garden has grown. There are 10 different ones now and I've added a red macroalgae.

20170226_201914_zpsozc3b9yf.jpg

20170226_201710_zpsdrw00zcq.jpg

• Like 3