SaltCritters.com

My tiny ocean. 6g edge. Big update!

TinyOcean

So a few more corals I have picked up.

Toadstool leather and a Kenya tree ( still angry) .

20170226_201827_zpsm9tb5r7j.jpg

And some more zoas

20170226_201809_zpstr5ndcbv.jpg

I'll be gluing them on this side of the tank in a little bit.

20170226_201904_zpsxxg168yu.jpg

My future coral plans are more mushrooms of course since I'm obsessed with them lol but I'd like them to be Ricordia and I'd like to add a nice Acan colony.

18 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Thank you! I have been following along on your new build. Can't wait to see an FTS! 

Thx!!

I posted a topdown shot last night, but it'll prob take a couple days before I can take pics from the front or side. Couldn't find my algae scraper pad to clean the glass, lol. Have one coming from Amazon Prime, should be here soon. Like you, I also have a PAR 38 bulb on the way, coming in that same order. 

We seem to have the same kind of low-tech, simple approach to tanks and enjoy some of the same types of corals, so I'm enjoying watching this little tank of yours take shape. Like you, I actually have always liked Mushrooms. I have seen a couple of gorgeous Nano Tanks with rocks covered in Mushroom Corals and a few other simple corals mixed in. Your Mushrooms may be a little shy under the new bulb you have coming, if they shrink up a bit just raise it up higher over the tank. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thx!!

I posted a topdown shot last night, but it'll prob take a couple days before I can take pics from the front or side. Couldn't find my algae scraper pad to clean the glass, lol. Have one coming from Amazon Prime, should be here soon. Like you, I also have a PAR 38 bulb on the way, coming in that same order. 

We seem to have the same kind of low-tech, simple approach to tanks and enjoy some of the same types of corals, so I'm enjoying watching this little tank of yours take shape. Like you, I actually have always liked Mushrooms. I have seen a couple of gorgeous Nano Tanks with rocks covered in Mushroom Corals and a few other simple corals mixed in. Your Mushrooms may be a little shy under the new bulb you have coming, if they shrink up a bit just raise it up higher over the tank. 

Yes I saw it! That's why I can't wait for the FTS haha. I ordered the bulb more for the right side for the Kenya because it's way too dark over there Imo but I'm sure I'll have lots of playing around to do with it so everything is happy. It still hasn't come in yet! If my tank just becomes one big mushroom I'd probably be happy lol I don't know why but I love them!

1 hour ago, bofo said:

Got it looking good! I'm definitely taking some inspiration from you when I select corals a few weeks from now!

Thank you! All the corals I have so far are great easy corals to grow so you will have no issues with them.

• Like 1

I love mushrooms too!  Just ordered some ricordea last night and am looking at ordering some St. Thomas mushrooms too. :wub: I used to have some gorgeous purple rics and a bright green St. Thomas mushie from Coral Morphologic aka Aquascapers.  Too bad they aren't doing business now. :(  Your new additions look very nice! :)

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love mushrooms too!  Just ordered some ricordea last night and am looking at ordering some St. Thomas mushrooms too. :wub: I used to have some gorgeous purple rics and a bright green St. Thomas mushie from Coral Morphologic aka Aquascapers.  Too bad they aren't doing business now. :(  Your new additions look very nice! :)

Thanks Lula! St Thomas mushrooms are so cool! Can't wait to see your new frags so take lots of pics!

I changed my thread to a mayday! Lol

Saturday when I picked up some mushrooms at my lfs I bought what they and I believed to be a dead and dry coral skeleton with red mushrooms attached. Well......it's alive! Ish? After being in my tank for two days there is now color and fleshy bits? WTH!

20170227_163423_zpsrruwcmlu.jpg

I think it's some kind of lobe brain coral.

What do I do?! If I leave it will it hurt my tank if it's dieing?

2 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Thanks Lula! St Thomas mushrooms are so cool! Can't wait to see your new frags so take lots of pics!

Me either!  Currently finalizing my other order...keep adding one coral and taking it out lol.  Do I or don't I?  Will I regret it if I don't?  Ahhh decisions decisions!

5 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

I changed my thread to a mayday! Lol

Saturday when I picked up some mushrooms at my lfs I bought what they and I believed to be a dead and dry coral skeleton with red mushrooms attached. Well......it's alive! Ish? After being in my tank for two days there is now color and fleshy bits? WTH!

20170227_163423_zpsrruwcmlu.jpg

I think it's some kind of lobe brain coral.

What do I do?! If I leave it will it hurt my tank if it's dieing?

Oh wow!  I'm not sure what to recommend, I'm not sure if it's too far gone to come back or not (some LPS can come back from just a tiny bit of flesh but I've yet to keep them so I can't advise here lol).  Maybe keep an eye on your water parameters and do more frequent water changes in case it's decaying and polluting the water?

That's crazy!!!

Do you have some lugol's iodine on hand with, that you could do a basic dip?

I've used that to heal injured corals before. 

I think it's possible to revive it, if handled right. 

Do keep it in a low flow area for the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's crazy!!!

Do you have some lugol's iodine on hand with, that you could do a basic dip?

I've used that to heal injured corals before. 

I think it's possible to revive it, if handled right. 

Do keep it in a low flow area for the moment. 

No I don't have any iodine and I've never had to use it ever in any of my tanks before. I've never had a half dead coral! Lol. It's in the lowest flow possible on the left side of the shrooms garden.

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Me either!  Currently finalizing my other order...keep adding one coral and taking it out lol.  Do I or don't I?  Will I regret it if I don't?  Ahhh decisions decisions!

Oh wow!  I'm not sure what to recommend, I'm not sure if it's too far gone to come back or not (some LPS can come back from just a tiny bit of flesh but I've yet to keep them so I can't advise here lol).  Maybe keep an eye on your water parameters and do more frequent water changes in case it's decaying and polluting the water?

Add more! Lol and thanks for the tip I'll be sure to test my water daily now until I see what's happening with this guy.

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

For what it's worth, that the looks like reviving LPS flesh to me, not decaying flesh. 

And I think I agree. It was completely white and looked dead when I bought it. And it was hard like a rock.I only payed like $6 for the shrooms that are on it because it was supposed to be just like dead rubble the shrooms attached to but tonight I was checking out the tank and bam! There's color and flesh?! If it lives I totally got a free coral lol.

• Like 2

The zombie coral! A Trachy according to Lawn. Here you can see the redish brown shrooms I bought it for.

20170227_163415_zpsnajymzef.jpg

And here you can see how dead it looks. When I bought it it was all skeleton and now after 3 days there is a mouth and pink and green tissue on the right.

20170227_214833_zpsag1aqfwj.jpg[/URL]

Last night I talked with Jack, Sancho, Lawn and Shaneandjohn and the consensus is it probably won't make it but either way it is safe to leave it where it is and the CUC will keep it from doing anything weird in the tank. They also sid to try feeding it just in case it makes it so I'll be feeding it Mysis and reef rods over the next couple of days. I'm going to put the top of a 2L pop bottle over it during feeding to make sure Skuttlebutt doesn't steal food from it since he is overzealous at feeding time! Haha

• Like 3

Sounds like an excellent game plan!!

Even if it does end up dying, you'll be able to learn some good stuff in the process that you can use moving forward with the tank. 

If it has a mouth, take some tweezers and try to feed it.  I had some pretty dead acan lords (rescue operation) that came back pretty fast with very intentional feeding of mysis shrimp.  If you use the tweezers and don't rush it to make sure the coral is actually grabbing it, it shouldn't pollute the tank since there will be no excess food.  

• Like 1

Zombie coral even has zombie colors. :lol:

If there's zooxanthelae in the flesh that's still supplying it with nutrition it may well recover. It doesn't look like it's got a mouth to eat meaty stuff, though, and I imagine most the energy it will need to recover will come from the light.

EDIT: never mind, I think I do see a mouth.  That's encouraging. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Zombie coral even has zombie colors. :lol:

If there's zooxanthelae in the flesh that's still supplying it with nutrition it may well recover. It doesn't look like it's got a mouth to eat meaty stuff, though, and I imagine most the energy it will need to recover will come from the light.

EDIT: never mind, I think I do see a mouth.  That's encouraging. 

Haha! It does have a mouth since it just ate and puffed up all happy!

20170228_171317_zpsexynhijx.jpg

• Like 3
Kellie in CA

Hey, it might surprise you.  I have some lobos in my tank that bleached out horribly.... like paper white.  I almost tossed them.  But a few months later they regained all their color and are now the happiest coral in my tank.  Just keep feeding!

• Like 1