Top Shelf Aquatics

New Tank Who Dis? The 3g Pico of College

ZackToren

After a long hiatus from a 10g mixed reef, to a 20g mixed reef, to a total shut down to move, to an 8g planted freshwater and micro shrimp tank, I'm coming back to my love. Reefs. I am now a college student in my own apartment, but it is time to get my fingers wet again with some salt water. 

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+15493&pcatid=15493

This 3g pico is on the way. Once I get it set up and wait through the long weeks of cycling, I'm hoping for lots of zoa and other softie action, and maybe a tiny goby that I won't find on my desk when I get home from work and class. I also plan to make some tiny upgrades to a slightly bigger filter, and shortly into it, a new light fixture. I've been out for a while and will spend the next few weeks doing lots of research to refresh, but I'm excited to try this small of a tank finally. Any ideas, suggestions, and hellos/well wishes are welcome! I'll try to find links to my old account but I'm doubtful!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back!  I'm coming back to the hobby myself--I was never officially out, but hadn't done much in a few years and hadn't kept up with all of the changes that have happened in the last few years.  There's a lot to see and learn!  I'm aiming to build a softie tank too, with lots of rics :wub: and hopefully some St. Thomas mushrooms, as the one I had years ago was my favorite ever.  Also macroalgaes and maybe a gorg or two.  Just picked up a pretty little purple and yellow feather duster today. :happy:

For lights, a lot of people are recommending par38 bulbs (like those from Coral Compulsion, or the ABI bulbs), but there's other options too.  I'm trying out a little Finnex Stingray as I'd planned to do mostly macros and figured if it could support freshwater plants it could probably handle macros lol.  We'll see if it's enough to support corals!  For filters, a lot of people recommend AquaClears (you might be familiar with the refugium mods people have done for years.  I think there's a company now making media baskets for it too), but I'm trying out just running an airline like a lot of the reef vases and bowls do.  If it doesn't work, I'll add a filter later.

Anyway, enough blabbering from me. ;) Welcome back to N-R and reefing and looking forward to see how your tank develops!

Thanks Lula!

You'll have to let me know how the Finnex is as it's unlikely I'll need too much more than that either. 

I did an AC70 refugium on my old 20g build but I don't think I'm going to go as crazy this time around, but I'm planning to run airline and a small HOB too with some chemipure(maybe just a cheap tetra to start). I will be tagging onto your comeback as well so we can compare notes! Haha

Haha works for me!  Tetra makes a nice little quiet HOB that you can still find in stores (saw one just a couple weeks ago in Petsmart or Petco), it came with my very first 10g tank kit back when I was first getting into fishkeeping.  Flow isn't adjustable but it's very silent, in my experience (of one lol).  This is the first link I found to one, it doesn't appear to have the best reviews, but I liked it back in my noob days lol.  At any rate, something like that will last you till you can upgrade (I don't recommend the little Azoo Palm filters as they won't move enough water in this size tank, imo...I'd save those for sub 1.5-2 gallon tanks).  Another option is just a smaller version of the AquaClear (20 or 30) as that can be adjusted low enough to not create a sandstorm in the tank. :lol:

Short update on what is coming hopefully to play with next weekend:

-I stopped by my not so local fish store today (Preuss Pets in Lansing MI) on my way home and picked up 7 gallons of pre mixed ROSalt water.

-My order from Dr. Fosters has shipped, it includes:

3g Picotope glass tank. 

20lbs of Tahitian moon reef and marine substrate(I've never done the black sand look so why not give it a shot, and yes, I know it is way too much:rolleyes:)

Tetra 20 compact HOB filter

5oz Chemipure Elite

Once I decide where to put the tank, I will get it set up and post my first FTS in a long time. Boring foggy sand picture is imminent. Are people consistently keeping clownfish alive in Picos now a days? The designer clown game has come a long ways and I have always had a thing for platinum and snowflake clowns...

Yay tank!  Lol I also bought the 20 lb bag of Tahitian moon sand for my 5.5 forever ago.  I'm sure I've still got some of it in storage.  I did find, though, that you can buy 5 lb bags on Amazon (around $10-12 bucks--pricey but if you don't need that much...).  A little late for you now but for future reference lol.  The Tahitian moon sand is gorgeous, it has a nice shimmer to it.  I'm still partial to the black really, I just wanted something different this time. :)

I think most people don't recommend keeping clowns in picos just because they get so big, but there are loads of other small fishes that can do well in a pico.  I'm looking at sharknose and green banded gobies, myself. :happy:

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @ZackToren!

I agree that 3 gallons is too small for a clownfish. A small goby would be a good possibility, Lula_Mae has the right idea. Have you considered no fish, and just keeping an interesting invertebrate like a cleaner shrimp instead?

6 hours ago, Ranjib said:

Welcome to NR

what are you planning to stock?

It's still very early! After your opinions on the clownfish, at most, a small goby. Thanks for the warm welcome!

6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @ZackToren!

I agree that 3 gallons is too small for a clownfish. A small goby would be a good possibility, Lula_Mae has the right idea. Have you considered no fish, and just keeping an interesting invertebrate like a cleaner shrimp instead?

Thank you! The invertebrate idea is not completely out of the picture! I just got done with the shrimp thing on my old planted fresh water tank though so I'm not totally sure yet! Would consider a Pom Pom at some point maybe though!

+1000 on the pom pom crab ;) they're my favorites!  only thing is they do tend to hide a lot (mine always liked hanging upside down from a bridge or ledge of some sort); you could probably do some sexies or a cleaner or anemone shrimp in addition to the pom pom (a combination I've considered myself). I also want to throw out the idea of a feather duster; you can find a variety of colors and shapes these days (see my thread for a purple and yellow one I just picked up!); I've had dwarf pink and white and dwarf yellow ones from LiveAquaria in the past and they are gorgeous! another favorite invert of mine. :wub:

for zoa and softies most LED lamps will do (I have used ABI 12 w with good results). Sexy shrimp would be nice addition. You can keep some panda or citrion clown gobies. Probably a green banded as well. But only one fish. You have to be more aggressive with maintenance then. I would say set the tank up first, cycle it.. let it get algae ... add cleaning crew, then add couple of softies .. spend some good 2-3 months just like that and see how much you are rigorous on WC & other chores. Take it from there.

You are planning to keep a sand bed?

9 hours ago, Ranjib said:

You are planning to keep a sand bed?

Yes, never been a fan of bare bottom personally. Definitely only one fish and after awhile, just like to plan in advance! Haha

Well that didn't take long. Was my first time ordering from Dr. Fosters and I must say I'm very impressed... looking forward to using the 30 dollars I got for spending 100? Didn't pose it up pretty. But thar she blows.

IMG_0872.JPG

I'm a big fan of DFS.  Always look there first to see if they have what I need. :happy:  Now the important question is...is it wet yet? :lol:

+1 on Weetie's suggestion, they are gorgeous shrimp and I hear very interesting to watch!

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Here's a cool little inhabitant for a Pico: http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/anemone-shrimp-spotted-cleaner/

Thanks for the link! I've never heard of that site and those definitely look like a candidate!

52 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Now the important question is...is it wet yet?

It is! Quick overnight leak test just to make sure the shipping situation was as good as it looked! Then onto sand if I don't get sent out of town tomorrow night!

You're welcome!!

They're a really great site, very trustworthy and have regular good quality livestock. 

I think you can get those shrimp to host in Maxi Mini Anemones, which are another good thing to keep in Pico tanks. 

I believe I had both in my Pico that is linked in my Sig, and I got the Shrimp from them. VERY cool shrimp. 

Does anyone use an in line heater? I'd like to be able to control the temp because I generally like my apartment cooler than my tank will. I don't want to take up so much of my display space with a heater though. I wasn't planning on running any sort of sump, but is there a way to funnel water out and back in with the specific purpose of running it through this hidden away in my stand I'll be getting? It seems like this heater does't actually pull the water through, so what would be the best source of the flow? Any suggestions will be rewarded with a smile. 

And yes. I know it is overkill for a 3g. But I don't want to skimp and throw an in-tank heater in and regret when it takes up 10% of my space;) this is my first build with a real job so I don't plan to cut as many corners as usual.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11369&pcatid=11369 This is the only one on DFS. Any others anyone uses?

Edit:

I also am planning on trading out the stock pump to my Whisper 20. Could I put a heater in there efficiently?

I use aqueon 10w heater for both of my Pico tanks. I went with tanks that have back chambers for same reason. Sometime I use them to put air stone as well. 

I don't think it will be easy to use the inline heater without sump/ overflow. Probably you have to do some DIY stuff with dc pumps. Even then u'll end up stuff hanging in the back or side of the tank.

I'll say go with some small, discrete heater in dt. 

https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE06194-Heater-Aquarium-10-watt/dp/B009ETLY30

10 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

I use aqueon 10w heater for both of my Pico tanks.

Thanks for the input! I generally don't trust preset heaters, and especially with the reviews of most of them, I don't want my tank cooking while I'm on a couple day trip for business because I travel a lot. Trying to make it as consistent and manageable as possible so I don't have to worry on my trips. 

I'm using a Cobalt Aquatics 10W heater with a Finnex Max-300 heater controller on my reefbowl.  The heater is small and isn't all that intrusive inside the bowl - even with the magnification the bowl creates.  The bowl is about 3 gallons and the temp holds steady between 78.3-78.7.  I like the security of having a temperature controller so it doesn't overheat the water.  I think if you're not trying to cut as many corners this time around you'll want to pick one up. I think others are using Inkbird controllers and like them.

14 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I'm using a Cobalt Aquatics 10W heater with a Finnex Max-300 heater controller on my reefbowl.  The heater is small and isn't all that intrusive inside the bowl - even with the magnification the bowl creates.  The bowl is about 3 gallons and the temp holds steady between 78.3-78.7.  I like the security of having a temperature controller so it doesn't overheat the water.  I think if you're not trying to cut as many corners this time around you'll want to pick one up. I think others are using Inkbird controllers and like them.

This is looking more like what I'd be wanting. I forgot temperature controllers like that existed. Whoops. Ever heard of running a heater in a HOB though? Or would it constantly just turn on and off as the water would be constantly cycling?

You'll want to calibrate any temperature controller with a couple of different thermometers to make sure you know exactly what the temperature is. My controller indicates 2 degrees above what the real temperature is. 

I think you could put a heater in an HOB - people put them in their sumps and the water is constantly moving through them.     

Edit:  Just realize you'll be taking away from valuable space for filter media. 

12 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Edit:  Just realize you'll be taking away from valuable space for filter media. 

I was thinking maybe 2 smalls HOBs wouldn't be too bad. I don't mind stuff on top, but I like to keep the display area clean. One for the usual filter setup, one with a heater and chemipure?

Archived