Cultivated Reef

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

I had been waffling over the idea of starting a new tank over the last few days, when completely out of the blue my son loudly galomphed into the room, looked me in the eye and said, "Just do it!", and ran back out. 

Ok Universe, I hear ya. :blush:

I will be approaching this very differently from previous tanks I've done. 

In the past, I have started tanks with a very specific idea of what I wanted to create, proceeded with the plan, run into obstacles, done everything I could to MAKE that tank vision a reality in spite of the obstacles, then given up in frustration when I was unable to do so. 

I've had a lot of life lessons thrown at me since my last tank. I am currently in the midst of learning to pay attention to & trust what God/Life/the Universe (hereafter to be called GLU) brings to me and to follow where it leads me, as opposed to trying to MAKE things happen according to my ideas of how they should be. 

So..... I have a few very basic things I am starting with, and I am simply going to take one step forward at a time and see what I can create as I do so. I have no idea what the end picture will be, probably something completely unexpected, but I am betting it will be pretty cool. 

I will take a low tech, natural approach cause that is what I really enjoy. The rest is pretty open. 

I currently have a 4g tank that is VERY basic and low tech and has been stable for a year in spite of extremely minimal maintenance. As in, it has a damsel that is fed Betta food when I remember, I can't remember the last time I scraped algae and the WC I did yesterday is the first I've done in several months. But it's healthy. 

I have several powerheads. I have a T5HO fixture that would fit over a 10g or 15g tank, but could really use at least 2 new bulbs, if not all 4 replaced. I have mebbe a pound of dry rock. 

Sometime over the next couple of days I will start a For Sale thread in Classified to try to raise money for the next step. I have some powerheads, some plumbing parts, some frag plugs, as well as a few more fun & unique packages I plan to offer. Keep an eye out for that, I will post a link to it on this thread as well once it's up. What I do next will depend on how much I am able to raise from that sale. 

Thread: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/380517-weeties-return-from-the-dead-dry-goods-sale/

So.... this should be an interesting ride, but I'm excited to see where it goes!! Grab a fresh drink & some snacks, hop on the bus, and let's see what we can create!!

• Like 17

Sounds like a great idea!  That's why I love Gertie's tank, just natural looking with just a few corals, hob filter & those little hydor koralia flow pumps.  And one fish.   I need to clean her tank & have a do over of rock cleaning.  I love all the different color macros you have in your signature.  I want to incorporate that into this tank.  You'll have to educate me some.  

• Like 1

omgomgomg  :happydance:  :happy:

Sometimes, the journey is the best part of it.  Realizing we can't control everything and letting go can be very refreshing!  Looking forward to following along on the journey. B)

• Like 2

Check it out, we've got a great group on this Bus already, love it!!!

Nano Sapiens: nice snackage!! Currently the Bus is headed toward a dry goods sale to raise money. This is what will fuel the Bus on to newer and more exciting vistas!!

FlowerMama: I have always loved the natural look too. As much as I admire them, don't think I'll ever be the person with the perfectly sculpted aquascape and pristine tank glass, lol. On the Macros, much of the cool stuff in there came from a joint experiment with John Maloney from ReefCleaners. He collected some unknown Macros during the growth season in the Spring, and we just kinda tried them to see what we could learn!! He's such a great guy to work with. 

Rehype, bonese, Lula Mae: I'm SO glad you're along for the ride, means a lot to have you here!!!

wimby: Maybe I'll even get a chance to add some frags from you to this once it gets going!! Would be really nice, esp since I've seen how healthy & pretty they are in person. 

I really appreciate everyone's support, means a lot. :wub:

• Like 8

For all the new NR peeps who don't know me, here are links to 2 previous tanks that I set up:

(tank doesn't get wet til pg. 9 of thread; there are good fully stocked tank pics on pg 38 of thread.)

This is the tank in my sig that was recently published in an Aquarium Book by Alf Nilsen & Sven Fossa

• Like 4
1 minute ago, BibleSue said:

So you decided to take the plunge! I can't wait to see where this takes you. 

And you'll get to see it in person, too!!!

I still love that sig of yours. :happy:

21 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I had been waffling over the idea of starting a new tank over the last few days, when completely out of the blue my son loudly galomphed into the room, looked me in the eye and said, "Just do it!", and ran back out. 

[...]

Now don't be blaming your son for your addiction to reefing.  But we here at nano-reef are your support group. :lol:

• Like 2
18 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Now don't be blaming your son for your addiction to reefing.  But we here at nano-reef are your support group. :lol:

I knew I could count on you guys!!!

16 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I'm  getting on this bus too :happydance:

Hooray, welcome aboard!!!

I have things mostly figured out for my for sale/classified ad for fundraising, now I just gotta figure out how to get the pics on here. 

Does this mean I gotta figure out how to get into my old photobucket account?? :unsure:

• Like 1
On 2/18/2017 at 5:14 PM, Weetabix7 said:

So.... this should be an interesting ride, but I'm excited to see where it goes!! Grab a fresh drink & some snacks, hop on the bus, and let's see what we can create!!

I did my part and grabbed a drink......

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I knew I could count on you guys!!!

Hooray, welcome aboard!!!

I have things mostly figured out for my for sale/classified ad for fundraising, now I just gotta figure out how to get the pics on here. 

Does this mean I gotta figure out how to get into my old photobucket account?? :unsure:

I just took a pic with my phone and posted right to here ....Super easy compared to what it was.

• Like 1

Hey Weetie. You likely don't remember me as it's been literally years. Oddly I felt compelled to log in here and see what's up. Lo and behold the second post I see is yours! I have been going back and forth on starting up a tank again but couldn't bring myself to. I like your very "zen" approach to your project and want to follow along. Perhaps GLU is behind it. It reminds me of a bit of simple but apropos philosophical three liner...

Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow

Do do not walk behind me, I will not lead

Please walk beside me and be my friend so we can both learn what we can become 

UH

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Urchinhead said:

Hey Weetie. You likely don't remember me as it's been literally years. Oddly I felt compelled to log in here and see what's up. Lo and behold the second post I see is yours! I have been going back and forth on starting up a tank again but couldn't bring myself to. I like your very "zen" approach to your project and want to follow along. Perhaps GLU is behind it. It reminds me of a bit of simple but apropos philosophical three liner...

Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow

Do do not walk behind me, I will not lead

Please walk beside me and be my friend so we can both learn what we can become 

UH

I remember you VERY well!!

Made me so happy to see your post, THANK YOU. 

• Like 1

The For Sale thread that I will use to finance this project is up, check it out here: 

I'm really tired, think I'm gonna crash now. Thx for being here, love you all!!

• Like 2

Funny to see this thread. I was organizing my garage over the weekend and came across some of my old reefing supplies (some powerheads, a light, heaters, skimmer, etc)

• Like 2