ReefCleaners.org

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Hooraaaay, more people on the Bus, welcome!!! :flower:

Today's goals include getting pics added to the For Sale thread I'm using to raise funds for this experiment and getting water from the LFS for a WC plus a couple extra gallons for a potential move into a larger tankspace. 

I'm not super impressed with my LFS here. They have decent frags sometimes, but unimpressive staff and the health of their livestock isn't always the greatest. I'll be in Columbia, SC this weekend and hope to visit an aquarium store there that I've heard good things about. 

• Like 2

Hi! I'm newly returned to the forums after a long time away. I had to pop in because I hear there is a bus and that it will be both zen and magical! Can't wait to see your progress!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hooraaaay, more people on the Bus, welcome!!! :flower:

Today's goals include getting pics added to the For Sale thread I'm using to raise funds for this experiment and getting water from the LFS for a WC plus a couple extra gallons for a potential move into a larger tankspace. 

I'm not super impressed with my LFS here. They have decent frags sometimes, but unimpressive staff and the health of their livestock isn't always the greatest. I'll be in Columbia, SC this weekend and hope to visit an aquarium store there that I've heard good things about. 

I spoke with that store in Columbia abut helping me with the move. They were so helpful. But now I'm not moving LOL 

• Like 1

Testing to make sure I remember how to post pics here. 

This is one of my favorite pics of my old 4g Pico. 

The sweaty-headed boy is 14 now and taller than me. :mellow:

IMG_5607.jpg

6 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Hi! I'm newly returned to the forums after a long time away. I had to pop in because I hear there is a bus and that it will be both zen and magical! Can't wait to see your progress!

Well that makes 2 of us, I'm back after a long absence as well!!

Welcome to the Magical Zen Aquarium Bus!!

2 hours ago, wimby said:

I spoke with that store in Columbia abut helping me with the move. They were so helpful. But now I'm not moving LOL 

Aaargh, I can't believe you won't be my neighbor now!!

• Like 5
Militant Jurist

Hi Weetie!:flower:. I popped in and was glad to see you with a tank! I've got another 29 up and running, so I'll have to start a thread again so that the monkey business can continue.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Militant Jurist said:

Hi Weetie!:flower:. I popped in and was glad to see you with a tank! I've got another 29 up and running, so I'll have to start a thread again so that the monkey business can continue.

Pics have been added to my sale thread, check it out!!

31 minutes ago, Militant Jurist said:

I love how all my old friends are unexpectedly showing up and jumping on the Bus, welcome!!

I look forward to your tank thread!!

• Like 1
Militant Jurist
On 2/21/2017 at 7:39 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I love how all my old friends are unexpectedly showing up and jumping on the Bus, welcome!!

I look forward to your tank thread!!

The Reefing bug is certainly contagious! It's good to be back, especially with old friends in the mix. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Militant Jurist said:

The Reefing bug is certainly contagious! It's good to be back, especially with old friends in the mix. 

YES!!!!!!!!!

Militant Jurist

It's funny how getting back in with a tiny tank so quickly turns into full blown reefing. I got back with a coral-only SPS dominated 5g tank. After a year, my wife wanted a clownfish, so I set up another 5g with a baby clown, some softies, and lps. After another year with those two tanks, it exploded into my high-tech 29g aka Monkey'nAround, which merged the two tanks so we could have more fish and coral.

So I might, just possibly, have visited a really nice aquarium store this weekend....

and gotten a few pretty things.....

Gonna be working on the little 4g Pico today, doing some cleanup, installing new pretties, etc. 

I really need to re-learn how to take aquarium pics, you will likely need to be patient with me on that, lol. 

• Like 11
Just now, vlangel said:

I am excited to see this tank.  I know you were here on N-R before I got here and am looking forward to following your thread.

Thanks, happy to have you follow along for the journey!!

My very first livestock purchase when I first got into Reefing was a Seahorse and I've always loved them, so I have an appreciation for what you do as well. 

I did a thorough cleaning and WC on my 4g Pico. I had actually done a couple of smaller WC's over the last week and a half, so I've been working on whipping it into shape. 

Don't ask me how I did this, but I somehow lost my algae scraper so my cleaning of the inside panes was sub-par. I'll be ordering a replacement from Amazon. 

I have 3 coral frags acclimated and in the tank, and am finishing up acclimating an RFA. 

Will get pics as soon as I'm able, thx to everyone for following along!!

• Like 5

Ok, I have this bulb on the way, should get here in 2 days: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488200826&sr=8-1&keywords=abi+par38+reef+led

Also coming in that order is an algae scraper pad so I can clean all the algae growth off the inside of the glass and get better pics. I have no idea where the last algae pad went, it disappeared over the last few months. So um, yeah, it's been a few months since I tried cleaning the glass.  :blush:

On the positive side, I have some great coralline coverage on the bare bottom of the tank!!

I was all excited to see feeder tentacles out on the new Maze Brain frag this morning. :happydance:

I kept the Rock Flower Anemone in a small cup (kindly provided by the LFS) overnight, resting on a small piece of rock, and it was nicely attached to the rock this morning. Placed the rock w/attached RFA on the tank bottom this morning. 

I also got a War Coral frag yesterday, as well as a frag of unusually colored yellow Palys with long fringes around the edges. They weren't anything fancy, but they were unique & I just liked 'em. 

• Like 7

Love 'em!  I added my first coral the other day, and placed an order online last night and contemplating another LOL.  Also took a video of the pom pom that I am gonna try to get up this afternoon. :wub: Is that a maxi mini in the upper right corner of the pics?

• Like 2

I have the same bulb and I really like it!   I was surprised at how little heat it puts off even with the lamp holder I'm using.  Still learning how to take decent pictures with it running though. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Love 'em!  I added my first coral the other day, and placed an order online last night and contemplating another LOL.  Also took a video of the pom pom that I am gonna try to get up this afternoon. :wub: Is that a maxi mini in the upper right corner of the pics?

Good eye, yes, that's a Maxi Mini!! I've actually had it in there since June or so, but only started feeding it regularly again in the last couple of weeks. 

I may get some Anemone Shrimp at some point to host in both the Anemones. 

• Like 1

Most things are looking good in the tank tonight after the big moving around and upheaval last night. 

I did have one minor snafu when I an Orange Yuma I've had for ages drifted loose and landed in my Frogspawn frag. Yuma got minor injuries, but I've relocated it to the cup I had the RFA in last night and will keep it in there for a couple days for recovery and to hopefully attach to some rubble it's resting on. 

For some reason my little black striped yellow damsel loves that cup & keeps swimming in and around it, it's funny to watch!!

It's his new little Damsel Playhouse, lol. 

• Like 5

Anemone shrimp would be great!  I think they are so pretty!

Yuma on a suicide mission? :huh:

Funny damsel! :lol:  When you can see in again, you should post pics!

• Like 1

So I have kind of an odd question. 

When my algae scraper pad comes in today, I will scraping A LOT (as in 6-9 months worth) of coralline off the glass. 

Obviously there will be lotsa little coralline flakes floating around in the water after, and I thought to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be cool if we could make little Coralline Starter Cultures & sell them for cheap?". 

Think there'd be any interest in that?

• Like 1