Coral Vue Hydros

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

5 years down the road....... 

Serious newscaster voice over.....

"Little did this inventive Reefkeeper know that her secret formula based on Betta Food would change her life forever...."

:lol:

Wonder if rics eat betta food?  Goodness knows I've got plenty of it!

Militant Jurist
6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

"Little did this inventive Reefkeeper know that her secret formula based on Betta Food would change the world forever...."

Fixed that for you ?

• Like 1

It's interesting to see those coralline growth patterns on the glass!

I actually do like shots of "real life reefing." I'm actually encouraged by them. Even though I love looking at TOTMs, I used to get in a funk after when I looked at my tank. LOL.

Chromis and frogspwan look great.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I actually do like shots of "real life reefing." I'm actually encouraged by them. Even though I love looking at TOTMs, I used to get in a funk after when I looked at my tank. LOL.

I know exactly what you mean!!!

Glad I could be of service. ;)

• Like 1

1. Beautiful tank.

2. That's a lot of coralline!!

3. I have never edited a photo in my entire life. I guess people will never know how truly beautiful my tank is! Lol. (BRB, gonna go research what people on N-R use for photo editing).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

1. Beautiful tank.

2. That's a lot of coralline!!

3. I have never edited a photo in my entire life. I guess people will never know how truly beautiful my tank is! Lol. (BRB, gonna go research what people on N-R use for photo editing).

Thx!!

Yes, yes it is!!

Apparently Snapseed is pretty good!!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
On 2/27/2017 at 9:09 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Good eye, yes, that's a Maxi Mini!! I've actually had it in there since June or so, but only started feeding it regularly again in the last couple of weeks. 

I may get some Anemone Shrimp at some point to host in both the Anemones. 

Be careful of Thor shrimp, some of them will eat zooanthids.

Also, is this the damsel you have?

cTnPizp.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Be careful of Thor shrimp, some of them will eat zooanthids.

Also, is this the damsel you have?

cTnPizp.jpg

Yep, that's my Damsel!!

You're talking about Thor Amboensis, otherwise known as Sexy shrimp, right? 

I've had them nibble my Zoanthids in the past and I now avoid them as a result. 

They ARE really neat to watch though. 

These are the shrimp I am interested in having: http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/anemone-shrimp-pederson/

I've had them in this tank in a previous incarnation (see my Sig) and I really loved them. 

They were graceful, beautiful, peaceful and had a cool symbiotic relationship with my Maxi Mini Anemones. 

This is another related Shrimp that I have never kept but would love to try: http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/anemone-shrimp-spotted-cleaner/

• Like 1
Militant Jurist

I've had a sexy shrimp for over a year, and it's never even looked cross-eyed at zoas. It is rather content living in my nem, Birdsnest or frogspawn.

44 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

What kind of damsel is that? It's really pretty.

I think it's a black and gold Chromis, or something like that. 

It's a quirky little package full of personality and curiousity, kinda reminds me of a combination of Bart Simpson & Dory (from Finding Nemo). 

I'm thinking of naming it Rabbit, cause it just kinda hops all over the place sticking it's nose into stuff to see what'll happen. In a friendly kinda way, of course. 

9 hours ago, Militant Jurist said:

I've had a sexy shrimp for over a year, and it's never even looked cross-eyed at zoas. It is rather content living in my nem, Birdsnest or frogspawn.

Well my friend, you got lucky, take good care of that silly little thing and enjoy it!!

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

Sounds awesome :) I love the personality of damsels and chromis, provided their territorial needs are taken into account. If I ever set up a "big" (i.e. nano) tank again I'll probably get one.

Yeah, they're so territorial that I'd personally be hesitant to put them in a tank with other fish, but in this setup, Rabbit is a model citizen and seems quite happy as well. 

It's a one Rabbit Condo. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Anyone interested in some Sweet Coralline from this tank, see here: 

I really wish my reef jar was already up and running. I was just wondering where to get some clean coralline scrapings. :D

4 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I really wish my reef jar was already up and running. I was just wondering where to get some clean coralline scrapings. :D

Well you know where to find me!!

What is holding you back right now from getting started on something simple?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well you know where to find me!!

What is holding you back right now from getting started on something simple?

Hurray!

What's holding me back? The husband is not sold on having a little tank again, although I am softening him up. Mwahaha. Oh, and I can't decide on location for the tank either. I was going to put it in this one spot on my kitchen counter, then I realized that I need that space for when I bake. I have my old BC14 stand, but I was wondering if that might be too low. I like staring at my tank - a lot. :D

Forgot to add that I need a spot for my 5gallon bucket of emergency and other extra SW. The open layout we have doesn't leave much room for hiding things. LOL.

5 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Hurray!

What's holding me back? The husband is not sold on having a little tank again, although I am softening him up. Mwahaha. Oh, and I can't decide on location for the tank either. I was going to put it in this one spot on my kitchen counter, then I realized that I need that space for when I bake. I have my old BC14 stand, but I was wondering if that might be too low. I like staring at my tank - a lot. :D

I have the perfect solution for you. Get 1-2 lbs of Live Rock, stick it in a random watertight container that holds 1-3 gallons of SW with a basic powerhead or airpump for circulation, put a cover over it and let it sit there and cycle while you get the important details figured out. Just stick it in a bucket or gallon jar container with circulation somewhere out of the way. That's like $10 plus or minus a couple in cost and you don't have to have it perfect cause it's just cycling, and if you change your mind or hubby has a heart attack, just toss it and you've lost almost nothing. 

Ta Da!!!! 

It's just rock, innocently sitting in a bucket, being all low cost and low impact. :happydance:

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I have the perfect solution for you. Get 1-2 lbs of Live Rock, stick it in a random watertight container that holds 1-3 gallons of SW with a basic powerhead or airpump for circulation, put a cover over it and let it sit there and cycle while you get the important details figured out. Just stick it in a bucket or gallon jar container with circulation somewhere out of the way. That's like $10 plus or minus a couple in cost and you don't have to have it perfect cause it's just cycling, and if you change your mind or hubby has a heart attack, just toss it and you've lost almost nothing. 

Ta Da!!!! 

It's just rock, innocently sitting in a bucket, being all low cost and low impact. :happydance:

Weetie, you're an evil genius! Cross your fingers that I find the right box where the pumps are packed in. Won't stuff die off without light though? I'm hazy on cycling. :D

• Like 2
Just now, Rain24 said:

Weetie, you're an evil genius! Cross your fingers that I find the right box where the pumps are packed in. Won't stuff die off without light though? I'm hazy on cycling. :D

No, it won't die!!

You just need water, rock, circulation. 

If you get rock covered with polyps it'll need light, but even that you could just stick in some sunshine from a window. 

Don't over think it. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Don't over think it. 

Hahaha...this is easier said than done with me. I was still debating on LR vs. dry because of the whole bryopsis/flatworm saga in my old tank.

But...water, rock, circulation. Got it. Do you test or do you just wait? (Just wondering what you do personally...I'm also trying to reed the reef2reef cycling article you've linked elsewhere.)

1 hour ago, Rain24 said:

Hahaha...this is easier said than done with me. I was still debating on LR vs. dry because of the whole bryopsis/flatworm saga in my old tank.

But...water, rock, circulation. Got it. Do you test or do you just wait? (Just wondering what you do personally...I'm also trying to reed the reef2reef cycling article you've linked elsewhere.)

Well first, let me ask you this: do you have a good LFS in your city?

Nvm, I just did a quick search & this place looks like it has potential: http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/

Have you checked them out? Can you?

43 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well first, let me ask you this: do you have a good LFS in your city?

So, I am new to this city. I have only been to one LFS and they are very much reef-centric and carry smaller frags for picos. My husband wants to find a place with less algae on their frags. :D There are a couple more  stores we haven't been to. I have high hopes for them based on their yelp reviews. I'm planning on cajoling him to come with me to check them out. He doesn't seem very opposed to the idea of getting some saltwater and some rocks. :happydance:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

So, I am new to this city. I have only been to one LFS and they are very much reef-centric and carry smaller frags for picos. My husband wants to find a place with less algae on their frags. :D There are a couple more  stores we haven't been to. I have high hopes for them based on their yelp reviews. I'm planning on cajoling him to come with me to check them out. He doesn't seem very opposed to the idea of getting some saltwater and some rocks. :happydance:

Did you go to Barrier Reef? (see my link above, I think we posted at the same time.)

If not, what is the name of the one you went to?

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Did you go to Barrier Reef? (see my link above, I think we posted at the same time.)

If not, what is the name of the one you went to?

That was the place we went to, yes!