Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Quickie update:

Waterfall Pico Tank: started dosing with live Phytoplankton this week and the Waterfall approves. Corals opening up even more and looking happy. Microfauna continues to grow, little pods crawling all over, looks like a new baby polyp on one of the Sexy Peach Galaxy frags. 

Dinky & the Brain Macro Tank: The Clowns continue to do well and are eating like pigs. The newer, larger Clown has decided she's boss & Dinky seems happy to defer to her, which doesn't surprise me. 

The Leather Coral in here was quite unhappy after the Caulerpa went sexual but it started improving yesterday and is even better today, so I can tell that the tank is recovering from that mess. 

Discovered a few days ago that Magnesium was pretty low at about 1215 (salifert test), so started dosing to raise that 2 days ago. It didn't surprise me that it was low since I know that Macros really suck Mg out of the water, just glad I'm able to work on balancing it. 

The rare Caulerpa has continued to pop up new baby shoots as if nothing were wrong, and the other Macros seem to be doing well also. 

I have all these ideas for Macroalgae and Microfauna experiments I want to do in a new and larger system, so I'm working on ways to finance that. 

• Like 14
3 hours ago, JBM said:

It seems you have a good handle on things! As always, more pichers please.

You're right, it's time for more pics, will see what I can over next couple of days. 

Soooo nice to have you back in this!!!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2017 at 1:26 PM, Weetabix7 said:

It didn't surprise me that it was low since I know that Macros really suck Mg out of the water, just glad I'm able to work on balancing it. 

I did not know this ^^  I will have to keep an eye on mine now!

On 5/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Nope, it died, was pretty much DOA, as was one of the Grape Caulerpa. :(

Got a refund for it. 

I have grape caluerpa with flattened tips.  I don't mind bagging you up some if you want it.  It's having a blast in my tank right now. lol

I was just reading some things online and everyones like "Not grape culerpa! It's the destroyer of worlds!"  And I start to panic until I remembered those are SPS people... in which case, yeah, grape caulerpa destroyer of worlds.  Me? I'm like "It'll need a weekly hair cut..."

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I did not know this ^^  I will have to keep an eye on mine now!

I have grape caluerpa with flattened tips.  I don't mind bagging you up some if you want it.  It's having a blast in my tank right now. lol

I was just reading some things online and everyones like "Not grape culerpa! It's the destroyer of worlds!"  And I start to panic until I remembered those are SPS people... in which case, yeah, grape caulerpa destroyer of worlds.  Me? I'm like "It'll need a weekly hair cut..."

Yep, Mg still lower than I want today even tho I've been dosing it daily. 

I've decided to stop "feeding" the Macros til I can get Mg to where I want it since every time I feed with Reef Plus they immediately suck it up and start growing, which also sucks Mg out of the water. 

My Ca and Alk aren't bad at all, but Mg is too low. 1275 today, will continue dosing to raise. Mebbe I'll only feed Macros lightly til I can get to 1350 on Mg. 

I saw that Grape Caulerpa in your tank, it looks cool!!!

I do have a little of the Grape Caulerpa that made it, but I may take you up on that offer sometime down the road when I have more tankspace. ;)

Thanks much!!!

• Like 4

Dinky is dead. :(

Just got home from an out of state trip and found his body dead at the top of my overflow, resting on a bag of carbon. 

He was the one I cared about the most of the 2 fish, too. 

RIP Dinky, enjoy lotsa shrimp mush in the Great Reef in the Sky. 

• Like 5
mbarton2010
15 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Just got home from an out of state trip and found his body dead at the top of my overflow, resting on a bag of carbon. 

Damn :mellow:

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sorry, Weetie! Sucks bad. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Poor Dinky. :tears:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Awwwww :( Not been a good couple of weeks for fish it seems!

• Like 1

You guys are sweeties. 

I'm distracting myself by sitting in front of the tanks and just observing some of the cool small details. 

And making plans. :ninja:

Wanted to mention one quick thing that we'd talked about in here regarding the Sargassum. 

I am pretty sure that my main Sargassum plant is showing some healthy growth around the base!!

I am also thinking I'm ready to prune back about half of the top growth off of that one and can mail that to someone ( @Lula_Mae?), with no guarantees on how it would fare. Never tried that, so it would be an experiment of sorts. 

• Like 5
Nixperience
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

You guys are sweeties. 

I'm distracting myself by sitting in front of the tanks and just observing some of the cool small details. 

And making plans. :ninja:

Wanted to mention one quick thing that we'd talked about in here regarding the Sargassum. 

I am pretty sure that my main Sargassum plant is showing some healthy growth around the base!!

I am also thinking I'm ready to prune back about half of the top growth off of that one and can mail that to someone ( @Lula_Mae?), with no guarantees on how it would fare. Never tried that, so it would be an experiment of sorts. 

Me me me!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Me me me!

Lol, ok. Like I said, no guarantees on how it would work cause I haven't tried it, but if you can cover shipping costs and fees for me, I can send it to you via Priority Mail. 

• Like 3