Coral Vue Hydros

calcium dosing

Pjanssen

Researching on the best option for me to start automatically adding calcium to my tank. I have a BC29. I have an ATO, but no sump. My options are:

• Kalkwasser reactor in connection with my ATO
  • Calcium reactor-seems like the best choice for tank once dialed in
  • 2 part doser. looking at either BRS 2 part doser, or going big with something like a bubble magnus

anyone ever tried these options and have a preference to one over another

I used the Apex DOS with 2 part.  I haven't had experience with any other method aside from dosing 2 part manually (PITA, do not reccommend lol)  The DOS at least, was very precise and I just checked once a week to make sure it was doing its job.  Its a real nice set it and forget it and with the BRS slim jugs, a gallon for each part takes up very little room.  It seemed the most hassel free way to go in my research especially since I had an apex.  So if I were you, I would go with a doser and 2 part.  But like I said, I have no experience with other methods and have no interest in switching at the moment.

chipmunkofdoom2

I do two part and dose with a DIY doser. I actually don't have to dose calcium currently, although I do have to dose carbonate (alkalinity). My weekly water changes are enough to replenish my calcium, then I adjust manually once a month.

Are you monitoring both calcium and alkalinity (carbonate) levels currently? It's unlikely that you'll just need to dose calcium. If your corals are using calcium to build their skeletons, they're almost certainly using carbonate (alkalinity), and you'll need to dose that as well.

First off I think kalk is a horrible method, primarily because the topoff rates greatly vary depending on conditions around the tank. This is not a reasonable way to create stable alk and ca. Depending on the temperature and humidity, I can go through 2 gallons a week up to about 20 gallons per week of topoff in the summer.

Personally I use CaRx on my main tank. It's still not perfect IMO, but is the best and least trouble method once it's dialed in.  I messed with CO2 on my planted tank for about 10 years so was already comfortable with it as well, so I'm probably a bit biased.

I have used 2 part, for about 2 or 3 years, and I switched to CaRX because of the unreliability with dosing pumps. Unless you get really nice pumps like the DOS, or GHL, or others with high quality stepper motors, it needs fairly frequent attention. I've had alk eat through my dosing containers, had pumps both clogged and stuck-on , both resulted in quite a bit of lost coral. If you do it right, with good pumps, and have the time to frequently check to make sure everything is working properly, it's probably the best method because of how much control you have. If you want something you don't have to mess with, CaRX is definitely my recommendation.

In this size tank, I would actually look at calcium acetates, such as the salifert all in one product. It's a fairly bulletproof way to handle it and is much cheaper than setting up a CaRX and doesn't need the dosing pumps of 2 part. You likely will need to re-level occasionally since it doses both parts at the same time, but for small tanks, it's an often overlooked method that I have seen some really good results with.

I use esv bionic 2 part doser. I find it easy to dose it manually and the 2 part allows you to have a balanced alk and ca.

When you dose only 1 part, the other drops. 

I am aware that two part dosing requires just that-2 parts. I should have mentioned that I currently do this manually. When i am consistent with my schedule, I have good results. But I find that I go in spurts of being super diligent in my efforts, to not so much. I don't have a controller, so the DOS is out of for now. It's my understanding that with a calcium reactor that alkalinity is automatically balanced with calcium, as well as trace minerals, because it is breaking down crushed coral skeletons. Kalkwasser I don't really understand at all.

5 hours ago, jestep said:

First off I think kalk is a horrible method, primarily because the topoff rates greatly vary depending on conditions around the tank. This is not a reasonable way to create stable alk and ca. Depending on the temperature and humidity, I can go through 2 gallons a week up to about 20 gallons per week of topoff in the summer.

Personally I use CaRx on my main tank. It's still not perfect IMO, but is the best and least trouble method once it's dialed in.  I messed with CO2 on my planted tank for about 10 year so was already comfortable with it as well, so I'm probably a bit biased.

I have used 2 part, for about 2 or 3 years, and I switched to CaRX because of the unreliability with dosing pumps. Unless you get really nice pumps like the DOS, or GHL, or others with high quality stepper motors, it needs fairly frequent attention. I've had alk eat through my dosing containers, had pumps both clogged and stuck-on , both resulted in quite a bit of lost coral. If you do it right, with good pumps, and have the time to frequently check to make sure everything is working properly, it's probably the best method because of how much control you have. If you want something you don't have to mess with, CaRX is definitely my recommendation.

In this size tank, I would actually look at calcium acetates, such as the salifert all in one product. It's a fairly bulletproof way to handle it and is much cheaper than setting up a CaRX and doesn't need the dosing pumps of 2 part. You likely will need to re-level occasionally since it doses both parts at the same time, but for small tanks, it's an often overlooked method that I have seen some really good results with.

I've never heard of calcium acetates. Will research that. Thank you

17 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I am aware that two part dosing requires just that-2 parts. I should have mentioned that I currently do this manually. When i am consistent with my schedule, I have good results. But I find that I go in spurts of being super diligent in my efforts, to not so much. I don't have a controller, so the DOS is out of for now. It's my understanding that with a calcium reactor that alkalinity is automatically balanced with calcium, as well as trace minerals, because it is breaking down crushed coral skeletons. Kalkwasser I don't really understand at all.

I've never heard of calcium acetates. Will research that. Thank you

I think I accidentally deleted part of my post. They're the easiest method IMO, but they will go out of balance due to unequal consumption of alk and ca over time, so they periodically need to be re-balanced using alk or ca from a 2 part method. It's funny that almost nobody has ever heard of them, maybe because people aren't forced to buy expensive dosing or CO2 setups, but it's a very well tested method. I know there's several companies that make additives but I've briefly used myself and have seen salifert used on a number of tanks, so that one I am sure works well.

On February 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM, jestep said:

I think I accidentally deleted part of my post. They're the easiest method IMO, but they will go out of balance due to unequal consumption of alk and ca over time, so they periodically need to be re-balanced using alk or ca from a 2 part method. It's funny that almost nobody has ever heard of them, maybe because people aren't forced to buy expensive dosing or CO2 setups, but it's a very well tested method. I know there's several companies that make additives but I've briefly used myself and have seen salifert used on a number of tanks, so that one I am sure works well.

Do you know if there is a way to auto dose the acetates? Can it be added to top off water?

Archived