inTank Media Baskets

Live rock-how much is too much?

Jrkrouse13

I just started my 20g long reef set up. I ordered about 16-18lbs from thatfishplace and stocked it into my tank. I am concerned because it looks like a lot of rock in the tank and might restrict swimming room. I will provide a few pictures. Any help is appreciated. Maybe I just need to rework my aquascape?

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

It looks great to me!

In a 20 gallon you are pretty limited to types of fish. Most the recommended (and beginner) ones don't require big open spaces to roam. 

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I am hoping my tank has started its cycle by now. I was just concerned about the amount. I may still adjust the scape a bit but I am not sure.

I would say too much rock is when you can't fit any water in the tank. :lol:

In all seriousness, I think you've got a good amount of rock in there and it looks like very nice-looking rock, whether you mess with the scape or not. :)

24 minutes ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

Thanks everyone! I am hoping my tank has started its cycle by now. I was just concerned about the amount. I may still adjust the scape a bit but I am not sure.

You can dose 100% pure ammonia to the tank to start it if you want to make sure.  At the bottom of this page there is a ammonia calculator for how much to put in.  I've used this calculator for every tank I've started (I usually don't use any live rock when starting). http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

I would say that the more live rock you have, the easier your life will be in regards to regulating water conditions. More surface area = more beneficial bacteria, etc.

Your only real limitations are:

1. Maintaining strong, evenly distributed water flow in your tank and avoiding "dead spots." This should include (as much as possible) areas between, around, and even under the rocks. 

2. Maintaining access to the tank walls for cleaning/scraping.

3. Having enough room for corals to grow. 

4. Creating a look that you find visually appealing. Some folks like a full, busy tank with something to see everywhere you look. Others enjoy a more minimal look, with a single, distinctive focus. This is entirely up to you.

I really like ur scape...It lloks nice and there seems to be plenty of room for Coral and Appropriate sized fish.

After u have cycled the tank be careful not add a large Bio-load at the beginning.  Start with a CUC and then maybe add 2 fish

at the most at the beginning...

I hope someone will help me with this reply regarding a Bio-load.

Have fun and remember that a Marine (Reef) Aquarium is a slow and steady (And not to mention sometimes frustrating) Hobby.

Patience is key and U will be rewarded :)

Welcome to NR :)

Thanks everyone! I really like how it turned out now actually. There are a lot of caves and twists and turns to swim through and the rock has a lot of ability to put corals

Update. My ammonia is at .5ppm and nitrates are right around 20ppm. Everything else is great. Ph is right around 8.2-8.4. Tank has been going for 5 days now. I am wondering if I will not have a large cycle because of my LR. 

It's possible you might not.  I have never had much noticeable cycle (just got diatoms for the first time...on rock that's been in water for months lol.  Might be from taking out the old sandbed though) but I always like to wait a couple weeks before adding much to be safe.  Well, I usually intend to wait a month and then get impatient and add stuff after a couple weeks, that's usually how it goes. :lol:

On 2/17/2017 at 3:29 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I would say too much rock is when you can't fit any water in the tank. :lol:

In all seriousness, I think you've got a good amount of rock in there and it looks like very nice-looking rock, whether you mess with the scape or not. :)

When we got back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus we bought a RSM 130D that had, wait for it, 90 lbs of live rock in it, lol. That was a tad excessive.

To the OP, tank looks just fine to me and welcome aboard.

Follow up question! I am about to purchase my filter for the tank. It looks like general consensus is an ac70 but it seems a little large for the tank. Should I go with that or move down to the 50? Currently I only have one koralia nano 425 as well so it would add flow as well. If I get the 70 would I need a second powerhead? Also to make this relevant to the post. Where should I position the powerhead once I put the filter in. Should I direct it toward middle of the tank and down or keep it across tank and up since I do have a lot of caves in the bottom of the tank to keep flow down there as well?

I think a lot of people either replace the impeller in the AC70 with a smaller one, or they shave off the edges if they need less flow.  Back when I had my 5.5 I had a smaller AC on the back and the powerhead on the side so that the two flows would run into each other and make a nice turbulent flow.  I've never had a tank as large as yours so I'm not sure on needing another powerhead, but you can certainly set things up, let it run for a day or two, and see if there's any spots where it seems like detritus is collecting so you can make adjustments.

Archived