Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Colin's First Nano Build (and SW) - Fluval Spec V

colinlevy

DAY 13

Taking others advice, after the spike in nitrate on day 11, I did a PWC (~30%) and that brought them down to about 20 ppm for the last couple days. My ammonia is down to 0 as of today, and I will keep it that way until the nitrites get themselves down to 0 as well.

That was my first PWC, and I definitely used it as a learning opportunity. There are things I will change for next time. I used airline tubing for removing water. Even though it wasn't even 2 gallons, it seems liked forever with how slow water flows through that tiny tubing. Adding water back in, I couldn't figure out a way to get my bucket above the tank to use the airline tubing suction method. Because of that I had to add it in a cup at a time. I tried as carefully as I could but it still closed my water pretty bad. Finally just completely cleared back up 2 days later. Maybe I need to find a pump that is strong enough to pump the water up the tubing from the ground. Any ideas?

***I need your guys help distinguishing my current nitrite (see photos below). The last 3 days it has been the maroon color that 5.0 ppm nitrite shows. Tonight it shows a purple that just doesn't look like anything on the chart. I retested it again. What do you guys think? Is this off the chart (way above 5) or am I stupid?

FkKOEpo.jpg

hrjJR2j.jpg

Current cycle

EjsuhdR.jpg

SaltyBuddha

I always put it in the white space next to the colors in good light if I'm unclear. I'd say that looks like 2ppm, maybe?

On 3/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

I always put it in the white space next to the colors in good light if I'm unclear. I'd say that looks like 2ppm, maybe?

Yeah I had it against the white and still wasn't sure. But looking at the trend from the days around it, 2 ppm seems about right.

Thank you!

DAY 15

Today (I hope) is the day!

Tested my water this evening, just over 2 weeks since I begun this adventure, and I am happy to say that I am showing zero ammonia and nitrites, and 10-20 ppm of nitrate. I added almost 2 ppm of ammonia after achieving these results and am going to wait 24 hours and hope they are back down to zero, thus verifying the completion of my cycle, and beginning the next step of my journey...still have no idea what I am going to put in.

CLK8sJb.jpg

Also was finally able to try out my new RO/DI unit (SpectraPure 90gpd). This sucker is going to save me so much time (and money) in the long run! Was extremely self explanatory to setup and run. 

gF0co4M.jpg

My tank seems to be cycled. Even after dosing ammonia to 2 ppm, 24-30 hours later, the ammonia and nitrite are 0, and nitrate is around 10-30.

Once thing I have not noticed is any kind of diatom bloom or similar that it seems happen at the end of a cycle for most people.

Is it normal not to get any?

Due to this, could I introduce fish and CUC at the same time (over time that is) as I don't need CUC first to help clean up any kind of bloom?

Following. I set up an Evo V a couple months ago and just got some corals added finally over the past couple weeks so exciting to see how others set similar tanks up ? 

Archived