ReefCleaners.org

Lighting suggestions for 20g hex

treefisher

Hi all,

I have a 20g hex that I recently turned into a salty tank. I have a 36w cf over it now, which seems to keep the couple corals I have alive, but I want to upgrade this eventually. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, and likely won't try to grow any high-end corals. My preferred requirements are:

- Something that will work well on soft and LPS corals.

- Moonlight option

- Hanging only

- It needs to fit (of course). There's not a lot of room vertically or horizontally, so it needs a fairly low profile all around.

- Cheap, Chinese lights are OK with me as long as they don't fail or burn the house down.

The 165w MarsAqua lights look OK, I guess, but I'm worried that they're a little too long and a little too powerful for my needs. Any fixtures out there that are just a bit smaller and less powerful?

I'd be willing to DIY something, but I'd want a similar plan to follow.

I can upload pics and get some measurements of my current setup if it helps.

Thoughts?

RIP Sebastian

Honestly, do yourself a favor and get rid of the 20 hex. They're a pain in the butt to clean. Also, you say you don't want SPS now. You will. Go Nanobox Duo.

2 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Honestly, do yourself a favor and get rid of the 20 hex. They're a pain in the butt to clean. Also, you say you don't want SPS now. You will. Go Nanobox Duo.

Hex tanks aren't my favorite either, but I do like the challenge of aquascaping them. I'll use a better/easier size tank for saltwater someday, and will definitely move on to more advanced corals after I get the feel for things.

I'm a big planted tank guy, and have a small fishroom setup with tanks of all shapes and sizes. This hex tank was a decent looking planted tank, but I decided to take it down to try something else with it. Reef tank it is!

1 hour ago, NanoSteve said:

Treefisher talk to this guy! @DaveFason

I checked out his website. Those are some really sleek lights for sale, but quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay for this.

RIP Sebastian
7 minutes ago, treefisher said:

Hex tanks aren't my favorite either, but I do like the challenge of aquascaping them. I'll use a better/easier size tank for saltwater someday, and will definitely move on to more advanced corals after I get the feel for things.

I'm a big planted tank guy, and have a small fishroom setup with tanks of all shapes and sizes. This hex tank was a decent looking planted tank, but I decided to take it down to try something else with it. Reef tank it is!

I checked out his website. Those are some really sleek lights for sale, but quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay for this.

In this hobby, you get what you pay for. You can often find used ones in the hardware classifieds. If you consider overall quality, his is the cheapest option.

Oh, I know, trust me. I've invested thousands in the freshwater side. I breed, buy, and sell lots of plants and shrimp to make this hobby support itself. I'm low on stock right now, so sales and money are low.

I'm not looking for the highest quality fixture around. I just want something simple, that works (and has moonlights). That's why I was eyeballing the MarsAqua lights. I'd get one of those, but I read you can only dim them so much. I don't want anything too powerful.

Just now, Kellie in CA said:

If you want to splurge a little, I just got a good deal on a Kessil 360 on Amazon. With subscribe & save and the coupon code it was $100 off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW9KEH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Even with say the $100 off its still $300, higher that what he is seeming to go.

You are not purchasing just one light if you hit subscribe and save fyi. Be sure to hit cancel before your next one ships out lol

1 hour ago, NanoSteve said:

Even with say the $100 off its still $300, higher that what he is seeming to go.

You are not purchasing just one light if you hit subscribe and save fyi. Be sure to hit cancel before your next one ships out lol

Yeah... you have to make sure to cancel after it ships. 

But if anyone is looking for a deal, check it out! 

Just now, Kellie in CA said:

Yeah... you have to make sure to cancel after it ships. 

But if anyone is looking for a deal, check it out! 

Might went to let them know what coupon code to use too!

$300 is a bit beyond my budget, though I may look into those when I get another tank going.

The Tide Mini is a consideration, but still hoping to go lower on price if possible. I just want low-end but functional here. I'll spend more on my next tank.

Will Par38s be bright enough for this tank?

I've been looking at the Mars Aqua lights, but I read you can only dim them so much. I'm worried they will be too strong for my tank since I can't mount it very high above the water.

The only lights they have (as far as I know) are the 165w ones.

Aquamaxx nemolight. Budget friendly, sleek, no heat issues, programmable. I have one with a mixed reef, works great.

Or coral compulsion par 38 full spectrum(no moonlighting though)

I like the Aquamaxx. It's nice and low profile. That might be second on my considerations list after DIY. I might end up getting one if it ends up being that much cheaper for me.

Archived