Coral Vue Hydros

Xenias dying

Jorge091293

SelectedByNature
9 hours ago, gonebad395 said:

Seen a few post from you are you taking care of a tank?

Yes her husband was deployed I believe.

Taking care of a tank long-term seems rough when you have no basis for understanding what went into it.

@Jorge091293 do you do water changes or top off the tank with fresh (unsalted) water?

How long has the tank been in your care? Do you have a refractometer or hydrometer to measure the salinity (salt ratio) in the tank?

34 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Iodine - Xenia likes iodine. Pick up a bottle of Lugols or Brightwell Iodine or Continuum Sustain. 1 drop every day should be good but read the instructions.

And check alk.  Xenia does NOT like low alk levels.

Xenia is pretty hardy but one thing they don't like is low lighting and low alk.

Are you doing waterchanges?

Are you topping up with freshwater(ro/di or distilled only)?

Have you been testing the water in the tank?

All water perimeters are good fish are not stressed the tank is even growing purple in the glass ... i do weekly water changes but i am going  start doing  every two weeks instead since i am a nurse i do not have t a lot of time on my hands..... yesterday the xenias closed up on me for about 8 hours but in the morning when i checked on them they were looking good and happy... there is even little ones growing lol the...... and hey  if you guys are going to throw your  corals away just send them to me i will take them off your  hands :)  thanks guys and thank you for the replies .....   

My first coral was a Xenia.  They have been through some SH%% in my tank.  Something interesting to note- My xenias closed up during an issue. I thought they were all dead.  I left them in and a week later all was right in the Xenia world.  Now I have too many lol.  I run fast and reckless with them, pulling them off of rocks and they close up like a sad weed never to open again.  But a day or two later they are huge. If your perimeters are fine,  wait it out they are probably fine.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:32 PM, Jorge091293 said:

All water perimeters are good fish are not stressed the tank is even growing purple in the glass ... i do weekly water changes but i am going  start doing  every two weeks instead since i am a nurse i do not have t a lot of time on my hands..... yesterday the xenias closed up on me for about 8 hours but in the morning when i checked on them they were looking good and happy... there is even little ones growing lol the...... and hey  if you guys are going to throw your  corals away just send them to me i will take them off your  hands :)  thanks guys and thank you for the replies .....   

careful what you wish for... xenias grow faster than I ever thought!! Unless you just want a xenia tank ;-) then rock on!!

On 2/17/2017 at 2:32 PM, Jorge091293 said:

Are you matching water-change water temperature to the tank?  If the water is colder than the tank water they will be unhappy for a bit.  I found that out LOL. 

Just now, gena said:

Are you matching water-change water temperature to the tank?  If the water is colder than the tank water they will be unhappy for a bit.  I found that out LOL. 

Gena is right!!

3 minutes ago, Jorge091293 said:

:) yes I match the Temperature on the tank to the water making and also do the same for the sanity level.... 

I think you'll be fine then.  I cleaned my tank today and brushed against the xenia.  They closed up but they'll be back open tomorrow :).

Archived