ReefCleaners.org

White Cloud

coryoverkill

Hi all! 

I set up my Fluval Evo 12.5 gallon about 2 months ago(my first saltwater tank!), water has been crystal clear, tank is cycled, tank parameters are perfect. I have 2 clowns, 4 Emerald Crabs, a sand sifting starfish, 15 turbo snails, and a few corals. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my water was cloudy (white cloud), I thought it was a bacteria bloom because I had just added a few turbo snails and the starfish, so I thought nothing of it but it's still there! I tried clarity by seachem, Algone, and I believe Purigen to clear the cloudy water. I'm running a Protein Skimmer, the stock filter, heater, and running a green killing machine. Am I doing something wrong, or will this clear up with time?

Thanks in advance!

15 Turbos is a bit much for that tank... Check that there isn't a dead one somewhere. It can cloud the water. Typically its one of two things - ammonia, or a bloom of something. I'm assuming a "green killing machine" is a UV, yes? If so, it would take care of bacteria blooms. Likely ammonia related from something dead, like a turbo.

Just now, Monochrome5 said:

15 Turbos is a bit much for that tank... Check that there isn't a dead one somewhere. It can cloud the water. Typically its one of two things - ammonia, or a bloom of something. I'm assuming a "green killing machine" is a UV, yes? If so, it would take care of bacteria blooms. Likely ammonia related from something dead, like a turbo. 

How many would you suggest? and yes, it is a UV

Eh. Do you have a boat load of algae? For a 12.5g tank one or two should be plenty. Do you know what kind of turbo they are? Zebra, Mexican, Trochus, etc?

11 minutes ago, Monochrome5 said:

Eh. Do you have a boat load of algae? For a 12.5g tank one or two should be plenty. Do you know what kind of turbo they are? Zebra, Mexican, Trochus, etc?

Some are Zebra and some are Trochus, and I don't have a boatload but a good bit of green and brown film grows on the glass daily that I have to scrape off 

Trochus are going to be better suited for your tank. One zebra, two at most. 6 trochus should be plenty. Mexicans and zebras need a ton of filamentous algae. The green, stringy stuff. Brown film is likely diatom growth from a new tank and will dissipate with time. Turbos aren't the best choice for that. Also, zebras can't flip themselves over, so if one falls they can easily die. Trochus are workhorse snails though!

1 minute ago, Monochrome5 said:

Trochus are going to be better suited for your tank. One zebra, two at most. 6 trochus should be plenty. Mexicans and zebras need a ton of filamentous algae. The green, stringy stuff. Brown film is likely diatom growth from a new tank and will dissipate with time. Turbos aren't the best choice for that. Also, zebras can't flip themselves over, so if one falls they can easily die. Trochus are workhorse snails though!

Thanks so much! :)

White cloud is usually a bacterial bloom. I'd also check your ammonia levels.

That many snails is too much for your size tank, theres just not enough food for them all. Trochus are great snails.

4 emerald crabs is even too much. 

I would check on your sand sifting star as they typically die in smaller tanks. They eat everything in the sand bed and then starve. Nano's just can't provide the amount of food they need for survival.

HI! I have just one turbo.  A few other smaller snails in my CUC (29G).

Not to dismay you but your sandsifter will probably die.  I made the same mistake at only 2 months in and after about a month the legs started to shorten.  The reality is they need a lot of "stuff" since they get all nutrients from the sand.  One heck of a cleaner though!! I decided to try again when I saw a sifter at my LFS a few months ago.  One arm was missing (I'm sure you know they regenerate) so brought her home. Wow what a difference from a year ago.  Arm has grown back and she is active and taking great care of the tank.  That said my tank has had a year to mature and my CUC is minimal.  I haven't added any snails in over 6 months so they are pretty lazy :-)

Clown79 is right- I believe the reason mine is flourishing is because it has minimal competition.  I do dose with copepods once per month which might help- honestly I'm not sure.  You can tell if the star is starving by the arms- My original a year ago began shrinking :-(  Current star just keeps getting bigger which is certainly making me happy.  

Archived