Cultivated Reef

ry05coupe's Fusion 20 - New FTS 7/23

ry05coupe

After taking a few years off from reef keeping, I'm back. I have always kept SPS dominated tanks but I believe that has contributed to my fatigue within the hobby. For this tank, I will be focusing on LPS and soft coral. 

2/22

IMG_8445.JPG

3/7

IMG_8536.thumb.JPG.19ad35e67708b1142762ec23c2e1ef84.JPG

4/4

IMG_8754.JPG

4/14

IMG_8806.thumb.JPG.c38f859fab052a47d6bfabea52af190a.JPG

5/5

IMG_8956.thumb.JPG.afdce79fe44691c1ec8e76c4a45087e3.JPG

6/13

IMG_9222.thumb.JPG.36736f14db377cc3a4a36cce6eec88ca.JPG

6/25

IMG_9281.thumb.JPG.f4c5438cf96f5bb260de5ed97d2112b4.JPG

7/23

IMG_9497.thumb.JPG.c6e4d44c18ea99be95666d0938e1ac59.JPG

Aquarium: Innovative Marine Fusion 20g 

Lighting: AquaIllumination Prime w/ AI tank mount. 

Skimmer: Tunze 9001 (has not been in use since first month, no need)

Water Movement: Vortech mp10 QD

Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 75w

ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano 

Return: Cobalt Aquatics MJ900

Media Basket: inTank 

Refugium: inTank fuge basket w/ JBJ fuge glo and chaeto. 

Maintenance:

5g water change weekly

Filter floss changed 3x per week 

Fish: 

1x True Percula Clownfish 

1x Royal Gramma

1x Hifin Goby 

1x Tailspot Blenny

Inverts: 

1x Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp 

1x Fire Shrimp

1x Rose Bubble Tip Anemone 

Coral:

Assorted LPS and softies. 

• Like 2

Hah. Rock and sand came in yesterday. Also picked up another heater, maxijet and a few buckets for water changes and ordered a Cobalt Aquatics Maxijet 900 for the return. I've heard that the stock pump can be a little loud and this tank will be in a bedroom. 

Everything else is set to be delivered tomorrow. Should be wet tomorrow night or Tuesday! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, billdeluz said:

Is it wet yet lol

Not yet. Everything should be delivered tomorrow, apart from my RO/DI seems. I ordered it on the same day as everything else with 2-3 day shipping, but according to the USPS tracking info they haven't received the item yet. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

If it's shipping from California, it's probably already wet! :P

Haha!

I was getting a little impatient, and since my rock and sand from Marco Rocks has already come in, I decided to start the cleaning process. I ordered their nano package, which came with 20lb of Carribean sand and 20lb of dry rock, plus a tank cycle booster thing. I've included pictures of the before and after process of cleaning the sand as well as a picture of my helper through the whole thing. His name is Rio. 

IMG_8407.JPG

IMG_8409.PNG

• Like 1

Played with the dry rock on a dish towel that had been folded to the dimensions of the tank and came up with this. I can't wait to set this thing up tomorrow! 

IMG_8413.JPG

• Like 3

Digging the rockscape! Hopefully you can recreate it!

I'm super jealous of your tank.  At least diving and seeing fire fish, sharks, and turtles, takes the edge off a bit.

Oh, and I literally got attacked by a trigger fish the size of a tray of lasagna.  

2 hours ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

scape is looking dope!

What type of tank are you planning?

It's gong to me a mixed reef with mostly LPS and softies, some SPS. I would like for it to be relatively low maintenance. 

Tank and a bunch of other packages came today! 

IMG_8426.JPG

• Like 1

First, I had to remove one of the baffles that separates two chambers in the back to allow me to put the Tunze 9001 skimmer where I wanted it. People commonly put them in the middle but it causes issues with light brackets as well as the return pump plumbing. After separating the silicone that held the baffle in, it came out in one piece. 

Here re is the modified chamber:

IMG_8435.PNG

A comparison of the standard setup:

IMG_8436.PNG

And here is the skimmer in place!:

IMG_8437.PNG

Now to the set up. It was super easy to get together and I am very happy with the tank itself.

Aquascape:

IMG_8438.PNG

With water added and the AI Prime mounted! I have a few more pieces of equipment to hook up but it is almost done. 

IMG_8440.PNG

• Like 3
do not smoke the reef(er)

Looking good! :D

I like the look of skimmer in the corner like that. Looking forward to seeing how it performs once you get it up and running after cycle.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

Looking good! :D

I like the look of skimmer in the corner like that. Looking forward to seeing how it performs once you get it up and running after cycle.

Thanks! I like it a lot more too. It doesn't create any noice by being up against the overflow like I was kinda worried about, and there's no way it would have fit in the center chamber with the bracket for the light. I'm glad I did it 

26 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Haha, night and day difference to our first tanks!

Amazing what experience and financial stability will do for ya!

You're telling me. The whole process took about two hours, including modifying the tank. 

• Like 1

I was thinking that too lmao. I had the main tank set up and thought "thank god I don't have a sump to plumb now."

6 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Bwahahahaha those days where we were working from 5pm to 2am.....

• Like 1

I woke up this morning to a clear tank! I used Marco Rock dry sand and rock, and washed both extensively. I think that helped a lot with the quick clear-up. 

IMG_8447.PNG

• Like 3
On 2/22/2017 at 8:12 PM, billdeluz said:

Coming together nice

Thank you! 

I added a few small pieces of live rock to help seed the dry rock last night. Today I spotted a couple of hitch-hikers and the first inhabitants of the tank! 

IMG_8465.JPG

Looks like I have nitrates showing up. Attributing this to using some live rock from an established tank and adding Bio Spira. 

I have a pair of Wyoming White clownfish that have been purchased and are being held at a local store here. I'll probably pick them up at the end of the week if things hold steady. 

IMG_8480.JPG

Getting a little impatient, I added 3 hermit crabs and a Zoanthid frag to test the waters and see how they'd do a few days ago when I saw my Nitrate reading. Everything seems very happy so far! Here the zoas. 

If everything continues to do well, I will have my Clowns on Friday.

IMG_8499.JPG

• Like 3