ReefCleaners.org

ry05coupe's Fusion 20 - New FTS 7/23

ry05coupe

I now have the Wyoming Whites in the tank. After a bit of fighting (I assume to re-establish their dominance) they are getting along very well! 

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG

• Like 1

FTS 3/7/17:

IMG_8536.JPG

Added a CUC of hermits, astreas and 2 large nassarius snails. New scape after becoming paranoid that one of the Nassarius snails had died, but I was wrong and he was fine. He was also under the last rock that I moved, of course. I also added some GSP to the right side and Purple People Eaters on the front left. They are all doing well!

I've ordered a few small things from reefcleaners to supplement the CUC. I'be also ordered an inTank media basket, refugium basket and a JBJ fugue glo to be a little more productive with the rear chambers. I also have chaeto coming from reefcleaners so I should have a functioning refugium soon! 

The only other thing I plan to change is the netting for the screen lid. I don't like how it casts a shadow on the back wall on the tank so I have ordered some 1/4" clear netting from BRS and will be swapping that out ASAP. 

• Like 2

I'd say your tank looks like poo just to troll you but I can't even do that!  Looks good brother!  Can't wait to see it in person!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ry05coupe said:

Switched out the standard screen that came with the tank for 1/4" clear mesh. No more shadowing! 

Looks much better! What mesh did you use? Is 1/4" small enough for small jumpers?

do not smoke the reef(er)
On 3/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, ry05coupe said:

Switched out the standard screen that came with the tank for 1/4" clear mesh. No more shadowing! 

IMG_8655.JPG

Looks great! i have my 1/4" coming in this week, going to be making this same change to my Nuvo 20

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up these guys yesterday. Duncan coral and a Candy Cand Pistol shrimp to pair with a hifin goby that I added a couple of weeks ago. They are already starting to build their cave. 

IMG_8712.JPG

IMG_8715.JPG

• Like 1

New FTS 4/4/17:

IMG_8754.JPG

Added:

2x True Perculas 

Pink Torch 

Red Mushroon

Pink Mushroom

Green Hairy Mushroom

Zoanthid Frag 

Toadstool Leather 

Replaced the Wyoming Whites with the pair of true percs. They were beautiful but I wanted to add a little more color. The female WW was also a bit of a bully. 

• Like 2
MarcusAmonodel

I love what you have done with this tank, and have drawn particular inspiration from your remodeling of the back chamber.  I'm trying to convince myself to follow in your shoes after seeing all the stories about the ghost skimmer.  I was wondering how the 9001 was working out for you (water level/spacing wise) now that its been a month or so?  The other question I had, what would your impression be for moving the wall between chambers 2 and 3 over by an inch or so (thereby hopefully giving enough room for the 9001, but also maintaining the filter sock)?  Would there still be enough room in chamber 3 (the middle one) to comfortably accommodate the plumbing?  Thanks again.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, MarcusAmonodel said:

I love what you have done with this tank, and have drawn particular inspiration from your remodeling of the back chamber.  I'm trying to convince myself to follow in your shoes after seeing all the stories about the ghost skimmer.  I was wondering how the 9001 was working out for you (water level/spacing wise) now that its been a month or so?  The other question I had, what would your impression be for moving the wall between chambers 2 and 3 over by an inch or so (thereby hopefully giving enough room for the 9001, but also maintaining the filter sock)?  Would there still be enough room in chamber 3 (the middle one) to comfortably accommodate the plumbing?  Thanks again.

The skimmer is working out very well in that position. I was worried that there would be noise from the water coming from the overflow hitting it but it has been silent. I keep the water level about 1/4" lower in chamber 3 than I do in chambers 1+2, which privides a constant water level to get the most out of the skimmer as well. 

The issue with moving the wall between chambers 2 and 3 is that there is a false bottom that holds everything together. You would also have to modify things to accommodate that which would be beyond my skill level. If you could I think it would be great and it would probably give you enough space to retain the filter sock. 

• Like 1
MarcusAmonodel

Thanks.  I was thinking of cutting a piece of acrylic or glass to extend the false bottom to the correct length.  My two big worries were 1) was the 9001 worth the trouble (in the fusion 20), and 2) would the mod mess up the return plumbing?  So I just want to say thanks again for the inspiration.  Cheers.

3 minutes ago, MarcusAmonodel said:

Thanks.  I was thinking of cutting a piece of acrylic or glass to extend the false bottom to the correct length.  My two big worries were 1) was the 9001 worth the trouble (in the fusion 20), and 2) would the mod mess up the return plumbing?  So I just want to say thanks again for the inspiration.  Cheers.

I haven't tried the ghost skimmer but went with the 9001 based on the reviews. I think it does a great job for the purpose of this tank and I am glad I went with it. If I were to do it all again, I don't think I would. Hangs the skimmer choice or its placement. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

I have the IM10 and I moved the wall I'm between chambers 2 and 3 to give me more space in the 3rd chamber. Wasn't too difficult. You just need to be careful. I ended up breaker the glass that divided the chamber when I pulled too hard. I had some spare acrylic I was able to use for the wall instead. Nothing else broke so it wasn't a big problem.

My basic plan was to extend it to make a larger room for a fuge. I left just enough space in chamber 2 for my heater so it's out of the way and gets a decent amount of flow. Heater works flawlessly and I have much more space to work with.

SaltyBuddha

Also, this tank is basically a 20 gallon version of what I want to do. Clown fish with a pistol shrimp hi fin goby combo. Might do a tank bred yasha instead of I have the money. Hopefully I have as much success as you!

MarcusAmonodel
10 hours ago, ry05coupe said:

If I were to do it all again, I don't think I would. Hangs the skimmer choice or its placement.

What would you do differently?  I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "Hangs".

Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this.

4 hours ago, MarcusAmonodel said:

What would you do differently?  I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "Hangs".

Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this.

I'm sorry! I wrote that on my phone and autocorrect got me. I meant to write that I wouldn't change anything if I had to do it again, I'm very satisfied with how it worked out. 

13 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Also, this tank is basically a 20 gallon version of what I want to do. Clown fish with a pistol shrimp hi fin goby combo. Might do a tank bred yasha instead of I have the money. Hopefully I have as much success as you!

An ORA yasha is a dream fish on mine. Unfortunately, I live in central Ky and they have been hard to come by. Even the ORA dealer anchor away wasn't able to get a hold of one. That would be perfect for a tank like this! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

How is the candy cane pistol shrimp acclimating to the system? Does it seem to be friendly with the hifin goby? I don't know that I've ever seen a candy cane pistol shrimp before, I don't suppose you have more photos of it?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

How is the candy cane pistol shrimp acclimating to the system? Does it seem to be friendly with the hifin goby? I don't know that I've ever seen a candy cane pistol shrimp before, I don't suppose you have more photos of it?

He is doing well, they paired up almost instantly and were  sharing a cave within 30 minutes. The next morning the shrimp had built an entire cave system with 5-6 entrances under the rock work. They are also called Red Banded pistol shrimp. For some reason, Tiger pistol shrimp are very popular here but they are usually 1-2" and can't destroy a sand-bed in no time at all. This guy is around 1/2-3/4" long and doesn't disturb the sand nearly as much. I didn't have any additional photos but I was able to take a could of screen shots from a video of the pair:

IMG_8765.PNG

IMG_8767.thumb.PNG.c9bd98dfac07dcd1a7d0754ea6794bc9.PNG

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

That's awesome that they paired up so quickly! Sounds ideal in every way.

If you want to share the video here, you can upload it to Youtube from your iPhone using the Share icon in the left corner, and then to post it here all you have to do is paste the Youtube page address into the editor and it will embed automatically :)