tofer

Firefish

Died :( . I have some questions

Even though it did not seem like it had ick or anything else should there be a waiting period before going with a new fish?

I don't have room for a quarantine tank is there any way to make sure I'm not putting a sick fish in the tank ?

All advice is welcome

Any idea why it died?  How's the water quality?  Ammonia level?  Any other fish in the tank?  How old is the tank?

1 person likes this

Unfortunately there really isn't a way to tell.  There are "things" it could have that you just can't see.  Like worms.  I don't have a quarantine setup either and I take a big chance every time I add a fish to my display without treatment.  I just buy from reputable stores.  I look the fish over really well if I buy locally.  Make sure it's a good weight.  Eating.  No obvious disease.  A good place to buy online is Live-Aquaria.  They have very healthy fish.  But without quarantine it is definitely a gamble. 

2 people like this

Seabass

Tank is a little over a month and half  old

Ammonia ,Nitrates, Phos all 0 ,calcium 400, salinity 1.025 water temp is 78.6

No other fish in tank have some snails and 3 dwarf blue legged hermits , and 2 zoa frags . 

change 5 gals of water every Saturday .  Should i hold off on a new fish  for a little while ?

The fish I have had since super bowl weekend and was doing fine eating mysis every other day was also trying to get it to eat pellet food as well . It was just acting weird  the night before hanging at the bottom of the tank then would dart to the top  then back to the bottom .

I have seen some  stuff that says do a fw dip but I'm not sure if all fish that could be done with and did not want to put any undo stress on the fish .   

Gena

I did get from a local reputable store  seemed good .  The fish seemed fine at the store  watched for a good 20 min  swimming good  all around seemed fine .  

1 person likes this

While keeping your tank fallow for a couple of months would pretty much ensure that your tank is clear of any fish-only parasites, I think it'd be OK to add another fish now.  However, it would be impossible to say for certain that your tank is 100% free of any disease or parasites.

If it were my tank, I'd probably run some fresh activated carbon and wait at least a week.

1 person likes this

When I change the water this Saturday  I will change out my carbon as well .

Is there any positives to doing a FW dip ?

IF so can all fish handle  the dip ?

Thanks for the advice Seabass 

There are some positives for FW dips, but I wouldn't do them just as a precaution (as a prophylactic treatment).  However, some people do treat all new fish with meds just in case.

5 hours ago, tofer said:

Gena

I did get from a local reputable store  seemed good .  The fish seemed fine at the store  watched for a good 20 min  swimming good  all around seemed fine .  

Maybe it was stress.  Firefish are high-strung fish.  I've had them many times and I love them.  My next will be a helfrichi. 

I've done FW dips on fish with flukes.  It doesn't cure them, but the flukes do come off in FW.  I'm not sure what else a FW dip would kill.  It's pretty stressful for the fish I think.  I only did it in an extreme circumstance. And then treated the fish with prazi-pro.

2 people like this