Coral Vue Hydros

Tang Aggression Experiences?

lkoechle

I was doing research on tangs (husband dropped a tantalizing hint that a 165 shallow may be in the nearish future) and I was reading something I'd never noticed before on Live Aquaria and that was that all the tangs come with the warning that they don't get along with other tangs and surgeonfish. But we've all seen numerous tanks with many tang species in a single system.

How "factual" is that information? How much of a hard and fast rule is that? That's new to me.

From what I've been told by local people, the key is to add them at the same time.

I don't want a tang heavy tank, but I just thought it was interesting. I probably won't have more than one (I want a blonde naso so I would need to keep the swiming space open and hopefully it won't outgrow the tank, or just take forever doing so)

I've done some more reading since putting my kids down for a nap and it seems to be the age old "body issue". So theoretically a naso and a yellow tang could get along because of different body shapes but not a Naso and a Powder Blue. But of course every fish is different some people have success keeping similar species together, yada, yada, yada. This hobby is such a dice roll lol.

A lot of this depends on the species and the individual fish, some are going to be extremely aggressive no matter when they're added, powder blue, clowns, purple's and a few others are on the top for aggression, I would add them very last and get as young of one as possible. Sometimes these ones are aggressive to anything in the tank, they don't care if it's a tang, they'll harass or kill it if it's a fish, period.

Otherwise, I would generally suggest adding all at the same time, and try not to mix from the same family. Brustletooth's have been very peaceful along with naso's if you have a large enough tank.

Also, foxface usually pair very well with most tangs. I wouldn't add multiple foxface, but I've never seen aggression from them at all, they're rarely bullied, and they are usually the best grazers of any fish. Foxface were the only way I was successfully able to finally get bryopsis out of a former tank.

Archived