Top Shelf Aquatics

Keep Calm and Reef On (Fusion 20 Reboot)

Mariaface

Yes I did!! :)

Though I'm thinking I'll just absorb all your knowledge next weekend, am I right? I'm gonna get you all in one place, break out the notebook, and start the interrogations.

How much do you feed!

Does the skimmer take care of overfeeding!

How much carbon is too much carbon?!

And so on :wub:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So now that whatever was going to crash seems to have finished crashing, and the freaky bacteria (white slime) has passed, here's the good news!

I get to light this up with a NB Duo now! :P

Ekn3hyd.jpg

And I got these cuties from Diver's Den - they're already eating Rod's frozen quite happily (hangrily might be the word).

dBhwiLx.jpg

bH3a5cr.jpg

• Like 5
Just now, cnseekatz said:

Sweet light!

And bright :P I had to halve the default settings to compare with where my lights were before... 

following along! i also just re-started my nuvo 20 after a hostile algae takeover. my reefcleaners order arrived on friday, so i'm just slightly ahead of you in that regard....you have more livestock than i do, though (i moved less than a year ago....am also from NYC) so you're actually ahead overall.

good luck to both of us this time around!!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lizz said:

following along! i also just re-started my nuvo 20 after a hostile algae takeover. my reefcleaners order arrived on friday, so i'm just slightly ahead of you in that regard....you have more livestock than i do, though (i moved less than a year ago....am also from NYC) so you're actually ahead overall.

good luck to both of us this time around!!!

I need to relocate the tank since it was in the basement and severely neglected. When I did that, alk plummeted. Anything that didn't like the change ended up fueling that white slime bacteria :P It hasn't come back in over a week at this point, even with a couple of (tentative) heavy feedings. So I'm going to see if I can course-correct for the corals that are still around and still upset with me. 

And then maybe I'll take back the bird I gave @metrokat to hold... :blush:

On 4/17/2017 at 3:23 PM, Mariaface said:

I need to relocate the tank since it was in the basement and severely neglected. When I did that, alk plummeted. Anything that didn't like the change ended up fueling that white slime bacteria :P It hasn't come back in over a week at this point, even with a couple of (tentative) heavy feedings. So I'm going to see if I can course-correct for the corals that are still around and still upset with me. 

And then maybe I'll take back the bird I gave @metrokat to hold... :blush:

I'll make up a rent bill. It's not looking like it did when you gave it to me. I'm hoping when I bring my nitrates down it will look better.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I'll make up a rent bill. It's not looking like it did when you gave it to me. I'm hoping when I bring my nitrates down it will look better.

I'm 100% sure that it being alive is better than I could've done at the time :) Have I said thanks? I feel like I should say thanks a whole lot :wub:

Just now, holy carp said:

What kind did you get?

The spectra pure 180gpd manual flush, with the .5 micron sediment and carbon prefilters. According to our buddy AZDesertRat, that micron size should take care of chloramines. And then the SilicaBuster DI resin. :)

Just now, holy carp said:

180gpd?  Fancy schmancy!  You must be running a big system!

:blush: Nah, it's just gonna be three aquariums... Between the Fusion20, the Peninsula14, and the IM 20 Black (freshwater), then top-off for each, it's quite a bit isn't it? 

I don't have patience for filling up three different 5G bucketfuls with the old one, and all its parts needed replacing anyway - including the bracket, which had begun to rust.

7 minutes ago, stacks said:

How are you getting Alk down?  I am having the same problem with it skyrocketing.

Buddy, you don't want to know what I did. But I'll tell you anyway: I just completely rebooted the tank and let things die/stress/recover.

What I would suggest, because you're probably not simultaneously planning to move your tank from point A to point B, is a series of small water changes. :P You don't want alk to move more than .5dKH during the water change, since it's a very fast change (compared to a gradual one over 24 hours). Also stop dosing anything that might raise alk (supplements, buffers, etc) until you're back to where you'd like to be.

Also don't leave your doser going without testing like I did...

A water change made things worse in the tank, about a week ago (so still on the old filter). I have a sincere suspicion that the filter lost the ability to filter out chloramines, and whatever else managed to get through with them. :( Which explains what the bacteria was using as a food source… Hopefully things turn around with this new filter! 

filter = RO/DI?

I think the RO membrane doesn't remove chloramines, but the carbon should get some and the DI will get the rest.

Are you testing TDS?  If it's 0, then there should be no chlorine or chloramines coming through.

3 minutes ago, holy carp said:

filter = RO/DI?

I think the RO membrane doesn't remove chloramines, but the carbon should get some and the DI will get the rest.

Are you testing TDS?  If it's 0, then there should be no chlorine or chloramines coming through.

The RO/DI filter, yes. I'm sure my RO membrane must've taken some damage before I replaced the carbon filter with .5microns, as I noticed the DI resin exhausting more quickly. And the water was coming out around 1-3TDS, so contact time with the DI resin would've been short enough to let stuff through. 

Now that I've at least got in-line meters, it'll be easier to monitor. I'm getting 330TDS on line 1, 4-6TDS on line 2, 0TDS out of DI. I know they're not necessarily calibrated, but those ballpark figures are good.

The new tank will be established with 100% new water, so there's that :) 

So you're talking about last week's water change?  Have you done any water changes using the new RODI yet?  That thing's been waiting to get used for almost a week! ;)

2 hours ago, holy carp said:

So you're talking about last week's water change?  Have you done any water changes using the new RODI yet?  That thing's been waiting to get used for almost a week! ;)

Hey! Hey! The pipe nipple (don't ever make me say that out loud) between the sediment and carbon housings came in broken and MD shipped me a new fitting, so I had to wait for that! :)

The first water change with this filter (and leak test for the 14p) happens this weekend! I almost want to make it a big one? But that'll depend on where my parameters are, I suppose..

53 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Thanks! AZDesertRat confirmed you really just need your sediment and carbon prefilters to be .5micron or smaller, so I made sure to get those :) TDS is reading 0 and not budging, and the membrane rejection rate seems awesome, so I have faith in this new RO/DI system! 

• Like 1
Mariaface

The yellowline and dottyback are loving life!

@metrokat is telling me I should pick names :P 

Plus this little cutie is still going strong, so I've gotta be doing something right!

EDIT: It's settled. The dottyback's name is Fanta :P 

• Like 2