Cultivated Reef

Keep Calm and Reef On (Fusion 20 Reboot)

Mariaface

Latest FTS:

RGLJpkt.jpg

Original Post:

I feel like starting a new thread is a good idea. The old one is here, in case you're curious!

It's my N-R anniversary :wub: , and I've made a series of aquarium-keeping mistakes that have now resulted in 'Reboot And Recover' mode. :) Here it is!

FTS

April 2017

Ekn3hyd.jpg

This is where the tank sat for a day before going back in the aquarium:

fgCRW0N.png

What I'm Dealing With:

-Bryopsis: losing structure and melting away with small daily Vibrant and nitrogen doses.

-Alk stability: It went up to 16dKH. :unsure: On the way to the new tank, alk has dropped drastically. Doser's off, will get an idea of how much needs to be dosed manually before experimenting.

-Cyano: daily nitrogen dosing is causing it to fade away.

-Zombie bacteria: in addition to vibrant, dosing microbacter 7.

-An awful aquascape! :angry: I need to mount corals on the rocks, and get things that grow up/out...

Current Parameters (2/14/2017): I'm in the middle of testing, shhh

Temperature: 81F - will slowly lower to 79F.

Salinity: 1.026 sg

Alk: 8.16 dKH (Hanna checker)

Cal: 360ppm (Red Sea)

Mag: 1300ppm (Red Sea)

Nitrate: 5ppm (Salifert)

Phosphate: .03ppm (Hanna 713)

Ammonia: 0ppm (tetra test strips, don't judge!)

Nitrite: 0ppm (same test strips)

Equipment:

-Nuvo Fusion 20

-Sicce Syncra 1.5 Return Pump

-Cobalt Neotherm 75W Heater

-Eheim Jager 75W Heater

-Nano Box Duo Plus M

-Cadlights PLS-50 Elite Protein Skimmer (modded to fit rear chambers - thanks @jtwisconsin!)

-IM Desktop Media Reactor (ROX 0.8 carbon)

-Partial Marine Pure bio plate

-InTank Media Baskets (bonded filter floss, X-Port Phos)

-Sicce Syncra Nano 1.0 circulating in the display because my RW-4 stopped responding and I saw sparks in the controller outlet when plugging it in... It was pretty old, though.

Current Livestock:

-2x Black and White ocellaris clownfish

-Neon dottyback

-Yellowline goby

-Blue-legged hermit in a cerith victim's shell

-Hitchhiking limpets

-Banded Trochus

-Several nano conch snails

-Handful of asterina stars

Corals that have made it this far:

-Assorted zoa frags (someone explain how an utter chaos lived through this)

-Iron Man LC coral

-Hitchhiking, tentacle-happy LPS coral

-Sapphire psammacora

The basic algae situation at the moment:

(April update: fluconazole completely demolished this stuff. In the photo, vibrant had done some work on it already.)

znqusv0.jpg

• Like 6

Yay, I get the first comment!

Have you considered Fluconazole for the bryopsis? I can't remember if you had already looked into it.

Considered and purchased this morning - it gets here Friday :P

• Like 1

Considered and purchased this morning - it gets here Friday :P

Excellent, me too! We can compare notes, although I'm afraid you have me beat in the bryopsis department :lol:

• Like 1

Cool, I like the thread title :)

Is this tank going to live upstairs now? Or still in the basement?

As do I! I have a tall red poster from college that says 'Keep Calm and Carry On', and I may need to hang that over this aquarium :P

Upstairs, in the bedroom - it and the freshwater tank are on opposite walls, actually!

• Like 2

All my pods are dead. :(

Oh, no! All of mine probably kicked it when I let alk skyrocket

Or maybe when I just plain old wasn't feeding enough... Honestly, I'm surprised this maxima's still going considering everything else I've messed up :P

• Like 1
On 2/14/2017 at 10:38 PM, teenyreef said:

Excellent, me too! We can compare notes, although I'm afraid you have me beat in the bryopsis department :lol:

I think I'll be starting today. Going to baste the rocks over the next couple of hours, test parameters to make sure nitrates and phosphates are still okay. My carbon was already exhausted and I just need to take out the inside of the IM reactor, so it's just that and the skimmer cup I need to remove.

Here's to two interesting weeks! I'll use the photo up there for reference.

• Like 1

In other news, the new freshwater tank is still cycling but the plants are taking off.

The monte carlo has gotten bushy. NYFishies wasn't joking, I didn't even have to use CO2..

MJkDFQk.jpg

And their floating plants have tripled in volume, if not quadrupled?!

GHM1IP3.jpg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

In other news, the new freshwater tank is still cycling but the plants are taking off.

The monte carlo has gotten bushy. NYFishies wasn't joking, I didn't even have to use CO2..

MJkDFQk.jpg

And their floating plants have tripled in volume, if not quadrupled?!

prolly liking your water

Just now, metrokat said:

prolly liking your water

Seems like it! I'm hard cycling, so there's plenty of ammonia to go around. And the nitrates have been decreasing, so the plants are certainly using it :) 

Also becoming convinced that my cloudy water is actually greenwater, and those copepods are daphnia (their high numbers coincided with the water clearing up a bit). I'm McLoving it, and I'm sure the neon tetras will as well once they get in there!

• Like 2
On 2/18/2017 at 5:08 PM, Mariaface said:

I think I'll be starting today. Going to baste the rocks over the next couple of hours, test parameters to make sure nitrates and phosphates are still okay. My carbon was already exhausted and I just need to take out the inside of the IM reactor, so it's just that and the skimmer cup I need to remove.

Here's to two interesting weeks! I'll use the photo up there for reference.

I'm glad I'm following your progress, otherwise I never would have known I should have taken the skimmer offline :blush:

Goes to dump the skimmer cup back into the tank...

Just now, teenyreef said:

I'm glad I'm following your progress, otherwise I never would have known I should have taken the skimmer offline :blush:

Goes to dump the skimmer cup back into the tank...

Whew! The R2R post with the instructions said they removed the skimmer cup (skimmer itself can keep running for oxygen - I imagine it helps the bacteria with processing nitrate/phosphate for the next two weeks, along with helping the rest of the inhabitants), carbon, and GFO. Figured I'd do the same; I'm not sure if protein skimming would remove this stuff :P 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Whew! The R2R post with the instructions said they removed the skimmer cup (skimmer itself can keep running for oxygen - I imagine it helps the bacteria with processing nitrate/phosphate for the next two weeks, along with helping the rest of the inhabitants), carbon, and GFO. Figured I'd do the same; I'm not sure if protein skimming would remove this stuff :P 

Yep, they said if you run the skimmer it will skim out the medication. Somehow I just skipped right over that part.

Just now, teenyreef said:

Yep, they said if you run the skimmer it will skim out the medication. Somehow I just skipped right over that part.

You might say you...

skimmed it.

• Like 3

Tank is using 0.16dKH per day on average according to the past week, which means I need to dose 5mL per day to keep alk at 7dKH (whenever I mess with alk, my changes tell me there are 16 gallons in the tank). I want to play it safe at around 7.5dKH, so I guess I'll be bumping it up this weekend, maybe split that change between/throughout two days :P

We'll see what it seems to be using next week; maybe it'll increase/decrease..

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

PLEASE don't put neons in there, there are all sorts of little bitty Rasboras that are a lot more colourful. You're in New York, where they all come in. Someone up there has to be transshipping out of Indonesia and getting those little guys. I can get you a list of them if you'd like.

12 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

PLEASE don't put neons in there, there are all sorts of little bitty Rasboras that are a lot more colourful. You're in New York, where they all come in. Someone up there has to be transshipping out of Indonesia and getting those little guys. I can get you a list of them if you'd like.

The whole point of the new tank is to transfer over the neon tetras and corydoras, though :P 

22 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I think I need someone to help me brainstorm a feeding regimen for this tank. I really don't feed enough, period.

I've always been weak in this as well, mebbe I can learn with you in this area.

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

I've always been weak in this area as well, mebbe I can learn with you in this area.

Maybe I'll get the shovel-feeding Kat guru to help me out on this one. And Holy Carp! I'll have to bring a notebook to the CT frag swap next weekend :P

• Like 2