SaltCritters.com

SPS keepers sound off!

North Borders

North Borders

Hey guys and gals! Just curious what some of you folks keeping SPS are using for settings on your Nanoboxes. Especially interested in Duo owners (as that's what I have ;) )

Hey guys and gals! Just curious what some of you folks keeping SPS are using for settings on your Nanoboxes. Especially interested in Duo owners (as that's what I have ;) )

There are so many factors but lets start here. What size tank do you have?

When I was running Nanobox, I ran two Nanobox Duos are 100% blue, 29% whites (Just 2 channel dimming) for 9 hours. 1 hour ramp up, 7 hour peak, 1 hour ramp down. It was a slightly altered version of the AB+ settings for the Radion discussed in Ecotech's whitepaper.

North Borders

Dave, I've got a Reefer Nano. 18x18x18 roughly. Light is about 6" off the water on a gooseneck.

I have LPS on the bottom along with some softies like zoas. I have lots of SPS frags up top. My colors look kind of 'blah' on the SPS tending towards the browner end. I realize some SPS are much slower growers, but I've got some frags that I've had in the tank for months and they've yet to completely cover the frag plug, leading me to wonder if they're getting enough love. Nothing is really dying or angry, but it doesn't feel like they're "taking off" either.

My schedule looks like this currently:

Morning start 10:30 am

220 min length

60 min ramp

Blues 77%, whites 18%

Midday:

Ramp 90 mins

Blues 85%, whites 51%

Evening:

240 min length

60 minute ramp

Blues 57%, whites zero

Tank params: 4ppm nitrate, 0.04 on phos, Ca 420, Alk 7.4dKh, 35ppt for salinity. Magnessium was 1350ish last I checked a month ago. I dose the Red Sea 4 part colors once per week too.

For flow, I have 2 mp10's on either side of the tank blowing around 50% in reefcrest/tidal swell throughout the day.

Mostly curious what others are doing for their SPS tanks to see if maybe I'm way off on my lighting settings.

North Borders
On 2/15/2017 at 9:36 AM, pokerdobe said:

When I was running Nanobox, I ran two Nanobox Duos are 100% blue, 29% whites (Just 2 channel dimming) for 9 hours. 1 hour ramp up, 7 hour peak, 1 hour ramp down. It was a slightly altered version of the AB+ settings for the Radion discussed in Ecotech's whitepaper.

Ok, I read that White Paper and am super interested in running that. My duo just has the 2 channels too. How did you do the dimming on bluefish? The Radion users talk about setting their radions at 100% blues, 25%ish whites and then changing the intensity based on how far off the water they have their unit. 

1 hour ago, North Borders said:

Ok, I read that White Paper and am super interested in running that. My duo just has the 2 channels too. How did you do the dimming on bluefish? The Radion users talk about setting their radions at 100% blues, 25%ish whites and then changing the intensity based on how far off the water they have their unit. 

Intensity will be the 100%. If you want to mimic that run just that 100% blue and 25-35% white to get the same overall color. I would have the unit ~ 5-6" above the water line. 

Archived