inTank Media Baskets

Chalices on walls?

LbulletM

Title pretty much sums up the question! Would mounting to a wall be a good place for a chalice? Wife picked TWO out for me for V-day and I'm worried about them killing everything in a 29 gallon.

I don't think it's ideal. Once coral encrust to a wall, they're almost impossible to remove without destroying them. I wouldn't have high hopes in being able to move or frag it later on. Sometimes, they can be removed, but the skeleton needs to get really thick, and you still end up breaking them into pieces at best.

SelectedByNature

Title pretty much sums up the question! Would mounting to a wall be a good place for a chalice? Wife picked TWO out for me for V-day and I'm worried about them killing everything in a 29 gallon.

Cool idea I like it.

Although I did watch a video on YouTube saying they should be placed horizontally I think. https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=9Q2eHdlRuOA

Sorry but why would it have the potential to kill everything in a 29g?

On 2/15/2017 at 6:49 AM, LbulletM said:

Being paranoid about their reported long stingers and my soon to arrive overabundance of coral. :lol:

For me it depends on the chalice.

My avatar chalice every night goes crazy and every mouth has feeders out and it sends out sweepers 5+" long.

My large miami hurricane very rarely does has any type of feeder extension and my mummy eye sometimes sends them out but nothing remotely as long as the avatar.

Pretty sure the avatar is a mycedum genus though; which may be why it behaves differently. The hurricane and mummy eye actually touch eachother and don't seem to harm eachother; the avatar has been killing the mummy eye where they touch.

Archived