Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoBox Duo Wire v2 and v3 together?

xCry0x

Anyone know if there would be an issue running a v3 in line with 2 v2s?

Have an older v2 model nanobox duo; looking to gut it for a LED retrofit for my RSM250 tank.

Want to run 3 nanobox arrays in conjunction with t5 - 2 wouldn't cut it to cover the tank well enough.

Thanks

Anyone know if there would be an issue running a v3 in line with 2 v2s?

Have an older v2 model nanobox duo; looking to gut it for a LED retrofit for my RSM250 tank.

Want to run 3 nanobox arrays in conjunction with t5 - 2 wouldn't cut it to cover the tank well enough.

Thanks

No problem at all. You will need a couple extra drivers however and possibly a different power supply. You will need to run the new array in a two channel series to match the V2's.

I have a V2 lying around if you want it, just pay for shipping. I got it free through someone else; I haven't tested it but they said it worked last time they used it.

No problem at all. You will need a couple extra drivers however and possibly a different power supply. You will need to run the new array in a two channel series to match the V2's.

Hm -- would I need new drivers because it is a v2 & v3? I have two channels right now going through lDD-700H drivers - figured as long as I didn't try to go 4 channel on the v3 I could just wire it together with the v2s and run them through the same drivers to avoid having to complicate things.

Figured I'd likely need a new power supply so thanks for heads up on that - current one is a 90W.

Was going to -try- and retrofit the 6 bulb t5 fixture by pulling out the 2 middle t5's and cutting a hole in the reflector to recess a ~2"x24" heat sink.

Figured I could use everything with my Duo and add in another led board + a new power supply and convert it for ~$100.

Only concern I had was if the proximity to the t5s would overheat the led board. Might try to wrap the reflector around the bulbs to shield the LED.

=)

I have a V2 lying around if you want it, just pay for shipping. I got it free through someone else; I haven't tested it but they said it worked last time they used it.

How much would shipping to 94553 be? ~$8 for a usps flat rate envelope? Might have to take you up on that since the $55 v3 wouldn't be well used. Thanks for the offer!

Hm -- would I need new drivers because it is a v2 & v3? I have two channels right now going through lDD-700H drivers - figured as long as I didn't try to go 4 channel on the v3 I could just wire it together with the v2s and run them through the same drivers to avoid having to complicate things.

Figured I'd likely need a new power supply so thanks for heads up on that - current one is a 90W.

Was going to -try- and retrofit the 6 bulb t5 fixture by pulling out the 2 middle t5's and cutting a hole in the reflector to recess a ~2"x24" heat sink.

Figured I could use everything with my Duo and add in another led board + a new power supply and convert it for ~$100.

Only concern I had was if the proximity to the t5s would overheat the led board. Might try to wrap the reflector around the bulbs to shield the LED.

=)

How much would shipping to 94553 be? ~$8 for a usps flat rate envelope? Might have to take you up on that since the $55 v3 wouldn't be well used. Thanks for the offer!

5$ for a USPS flat rate box. PM me and I can send it out this week.

Ah got it -- the 700h drivers support ~ 13 LEDs and since the v2 are 2 channel right now 2 drivers handle 12 each.

If I added 1 more board I would need another driver to handle the 12 new lights -- 2 drivers to then split them for blue/white control.

That is a bit unfortunate as it complicates things a bit - would set it up for just using 4 boards at that point.

Another way to look at it, I guess, is that by going that route I can re-use everything I have today -- and basically add another duo.

Run 2 duo heatsinks like a quad.

Wonder if Dave has any more v2 chips laying around collecting dust =) My goal is to make use of this duo I have on my current tank.

Would also have to consider, at that point, removing 4 of the t-5s since 4 nanobox boards by themselves would likely be enough to cover a 37"L 16" D tank.

I do like the t-5 supplementation and also shading prevention =) The bulb and power cost though..

• Christopher Marks changed the title to NanoBox Duo Wire v2 and v3 together?

Archived