SaltCritters.com

fried surge protector.. thanks to my prizm

KansasCoral-Nu-B

KansasCoral-Nu-B

just wanted to vent. after 3 weeks of good skimming action but only 1/3 cup of skimmate(i check every day to make sure its not near full). i went to sleep last night with all being well. to awaken to a pop and smell of electrical fire at 3am. only to find my prizm skimmer spewing water 3 feet onto my surge protector and it smoking like crazy (the surge protector not the skimmer).. soo.. i pull the plug which shut off my sump pump and caused a massive flood. its currently to wet to even attempt to plug anything in near the aquarium safely so my baby sits at home powerless prob slowly dieing. all because my prizm freaked out and filled up in a few hours when it had been fine for weeks.. after further investigation i found no clogs and the skimmer was still set pretty low right where it had been for weeks. ugh luckaly the temp of the tank is stable at room temp

agreed they suck badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

men do i hate when i go to a site like redsea and they say:

our skimmer is super effective and quiet......

all i hear in my head is bull####tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

KansasCoral-Nu-B

well.. not that anyone cares.. but to make things worse.. after the early morning fiasco.. my wife's car broke down.. so while i was taking her to work.. i had to drive thru rain with a now half way broken windshield wiper.. i was late to work.. guess its monday

holyherbiness

Sounds terrible.

My tank broke a few days ago and destroyed my costly surge protector in short order, and when i tried to turn the power off on the outlet, I got shocked

Sorry to bust the bubble, but I have a Prizm and a Prizm Pro and am very happy with their ability to remove DOCs. They are a little finicky on the adjustments, but if you follow the instructions they seem to work well. They ain't quiet.

KansasCoral-Nu-B

i loved mine till today.. i've had it for months but i seemed to get it tweeked just right about 3 weeks ago and hadnt touched it. out of the blue in the middle of the night it freaked out.. for seamingly no reason.. no clogs.. nothing in the system and the flow control hadnt been touched.. the whole collection cup filled in a few hours and it had only grown 1/3 cup until that day. i guess the issue is and isnt the skimmer.. the fact that the little overflow drain hole was squiting water 3 foot to the side is no good..

I'm guessing you didn't have a GFCI installed which would have taken care of the possible electrical fire.

Glad you noticed it when you did though. My Monday wasn't as bad as yours but I may have lost my largest Acropora colony (maroon with green polyps). :(

Archived