On 1/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, Ranjib said:

Latest fts

DSC_0384

Growth is kinda stalled , since is stoped spot feeding 

DSC_0386

DSC_0390

I have started doing little bit of broadcast feeding with reef roid 

DSC_0387

Looks like things are reaching.  Is there a way to turn up the light intensity or move the light a bit closer to the surface?

• Like 2

Yeah, its controlled by my own controller :-) , and currently its only clocking at 50% intensity . I was planning to ramp it up, since the polyps are kinda getting long (like they are reaching out for more lights). I was just not sure whats the best course of action, more light, or more feeding. I definitely want to restrict the growth of the grandis, while speed up the growth of other ones. May be just frag it instead. Here is the color and intensity of my kessil A80.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 9.48.41 PM.png

On 2/1/2018 at 12:51 AM, Ranjib said:

Yeah, its controlled by my own controller :-) , and currently its only clocking at 50% intensity . I was planning to ramp it up, since the polyps are kinda getting long (like they are reaching out for more lights). I was just not sure whats the best course of action, more light, or more feeding. I definitely want to restrict the growth of the grandis, while speed up the growth of other ones. May be just frag it instead. Here is the color and intensity of my kessil A80.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 9.48.41 PM.png

I'd probably frag the grandis and turn the lights up as even the ric looks like it's reaching somewhat.

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'd probably frag the grandis and turn the lights up as even the ric looks like it's reaching somewhat.

I did that last week, waiting to see the results. I have also started ramping up feeding. Maker faire is coming (in may) and I hope to put this tank for exhibit . Lets see how long it takes to see the effect. I have no idea how long it will take but I do expect to see some changes. As of today the only thing I have noticed is one of the purple zoa/paly (with black dots in skirt) has retracted 1/3rd of the polyp length. But I am also noticing couple of polyps of another zoa has closed up. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week's FTS

DSC_0507

Down below

DSC_0509

Way up

DSC_0510

The grandis colony needs to be trimmed, I am in dilemma whether to wait till maker faire (when this tank will be up for exhibit) and then frag, or do it right now. My tentative plan is to frag the whole grandis colony and rehome it to bozeman. I worry may might be too late, its already shading almost all the neighbors, I think I am going to loose one  of the slow growing red zoa, which is now surrounded by radio active dragon eyes, eagle eys, and rasta .. with grandis above . The whole colony (7 polyp) is closed up for few days.

DSC_0493

• 2 weeks later...

FTS

DSC_0541

Grandis is rehomed to bozeman. I am thinking of sticking a sps (purple stylophora or or orange digitata) on the empty space. We'll see. Not sure how the corals are responding to the new higher intensity. I think the sunny d and vamp in a drag (or solarflare) is now retracted a bit.  Solarflare is showing couple of new heads , finger crossed

40467147971_1661bfb229_b.jpg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
On 2/16/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ranjib said:

wait till maker faire (when this tank will be up for exhibit)

How cool, tell us more about that!

I miss the Grandis in there, but I'm sure they would have quickly crowded out the others from up there. I wonder if there's yet another type of polyp you could perch up top?

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How cool, tell us more about that!

I miss the Grandis in there, but I'm sure they would have quickly crowded out the others from up there. I wonder if there's yet another type of polyp you could perch up top?

Since last year, I am putting my DIY controller (http://reef-pi.com) up for exhibition in Bay Area maker faire. I had started the project to make an affordable & hackable opensource controller that anyone can build. As part of the exhibit I also show off two of my pico tanks, Healdsburg & Bozman. Last year our booth was in the dark room (its an indoor stadium where all the DIY LED related projects. Our exhibit draw huge crowd, and we won editor's choice award.

Booth setup, in the beginning of the event (its a 3 day event). My buddy hooking up the display controller

Showtime ..

Blue ribbon/editor's choice award

I love makerfaire, its a family friendly event with  a huge comunity of makers, DIYers, hackers, artists, musicians and other creative people. They also have fried vegetable and beer :-)

reef-pi made enormous progress since then. We have almost 30+ builds now, and lots of new features. So, I'll be showing off all of that, and two of my pico tanks (and that has become gorgeous as well)

@Christopher Marks if its ok with you, I would love to keep a nano-reef ad/link there. I generally keep reef2reef links, since the reef-pi build thread is there. But I learned reef keeping here, and still do all my tank/livestock discussion mostly here.

• Like 1

Fts

40525536092_bc11c9df8b_b.jpg

I thought i had lost this frag, but after removing grandis , I ca see these guys 

26696527278_f975a20bbb_b.jpg

Solar flare , new polyp is growing 

40568131671_333a3f950f_b.jpg

Sunny d. Still extended polyp , but less

40568131681_caf93f25be_b.jpg

• Like 2

Tank is doing fine. I spend very long tittle time in maintenance (bi weekly 80% wc)

Now that the grandis are gone, I can take closeup photos of some other zoas on that spot .

eagle eye 

26869324298_c3458260b4_b.jpg

Sunny d, it has not retracted significantly since increasing the light intensity 

38930291200_a75db39ab2_b.jpg

Solarflare baby

26869325638_c71df11b16_b.jpg

Ricordia and Monti island , from side view , i think the Monti is space constrained now,

38930291110_2641bb3185_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Current state

DSC_0811

Some zoas are closed up, not sure exactly why. I can only spot bristle worms all over the tank. 

DSC_0813

This snail is native of my apartment,. He was born on the 29G, look he has grown up significantly :-)

DSC_0882

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
On 2/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ranjib said:

@Christopher Marks if its ok with you, I would love to keep a nano-reef ad/link there. I generally keep reef2reef links, since the reef-pi build thread is there. But I learned reef keeping here, and still do all my tank/livestock discussion mostly here.

I'd be honored! It's awesome to see Reef-pi grow, congrats on your blue ribbon!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Current FTS

DSC_1141

Tank is doing alright.  I have come to belive that the ricordia gets curled up due to flow, not due to lack of light. I have change the rock position little bit (rotated it slightly) and seeing the ricordia relatively flat since than.

Sunny D. No new growth (i have reduced feeding)

DSC_1133

eagle eyes are growing slowly, now that grandis is gone

DSC_1131

This one had some strange algae at the base  growing, just cleaned up this week during water change

DSC_1124

Ricordia close up

DSC_1120

I have trimmed the monitopora at the base, cleaning the glass was harder because of it. I'll see how fast it grows back

Among all the zoas mohawk is probably growing at highest rate 

DSC_1125

I have added a green slimer frag , just to see how the tank does for sps. Its not dead or significantly lost tissue yet,

DSC_1121

• Like 2

Question relating to your reef-pi system.

Can your system currently integrate with the reef keeper powerbars? is it possible with your current hardware?

2 hours ago, jbh said:

Question relating to your reef-pi system.

Can your system currently integrate with the reef keeper powerbars? is it possible with your current hardware?

I am not aware of reef keeper powerbars, cant say. If you can share some details on how its controlled I might be able to answer. Currently its tested with DIY powerbars (where we roll our own powerstrip using relays and receptacles ) and American DJ SR P8  powr strips  (off the shelf)

If the reef keeper powerbar has some sort of connector (like db9 connector in case of the adj srp  -8) then I think we can control that with reef-pi. Since we build the circuit, we can pretty much generate any control voltage , software does not require any changes.

I suppose I was mainly interested in an off the shelf relay power strip, and the dj equipment you linked is way more cost effective than the reef keeper equipment anyways.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jbh said:

I suppose I was mainly interested in an off the shelf relay power strip, and the dj equipment you linked is way more cost effective than the reef keeper equipment anyways.

Thanks for the info.

I would agree. ADJ powerstrip is around 50-60$ . The powercontroller build is fairly simple, and should cost anywhere around 50-100$ depending upon your tools/wiring availability. I am very happy with the setup, its safe, simple and robust.

Here is the UI for my reef-pi power controller (which is hooked up to a ADJ SRP-8 powerstrip)

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.05.27 AM

I'll update the official docs soon, it still reflects the old setup where we handroll everything.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Added a small live rock with blue clove polyp and a purple garf bonsai frag in it, from a local reefer. I wanted to keep blue polyps, but heard they are evasive , but this tank is fine . We’ll see how it goes. I doubt the acro will make it. But let’s hope for the best. 

27549332127_e4aee7b189_b.jpg

Rest of the corals are doing ok. Since I stopped feeding and removed hob filter, their growth has been stalled. I am thinking whether I should bring it back

41511693435_fc6d4fb1a5_b.jpg

The tank was moved and re setup as part of the makerfaire exhibit, rock work has been changed

27543849817_2e6df455c3_b.jpg

we’ll be moving to new apartment in couple of weeks , so things will change again, hence I didn’t paid a lot of attention to the rockscape

Sunny d

40611586030_9525977b04_b.jpg

Ricordia is growing for sure 🙂

27543845317_6cf43a252c_b.jpg

it is also one of the more popular livestock (from makerfaire stats)

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Looking good @Ranjib, those new blue clove polyps are particularly cool. And a purple GARF bonsai too, now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile!

Do you suppose your water is 'too clean' now without the filter and feeding? Perhaps an occasional spot feeding?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @Ranjib, those new blue clove polyps are particularly cool. And a purple GARF bonsai too, now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile!

Do you suppose your water is 'too clean' now without the filter and feeding? Perhaps an occasional spot feeding?

I wont say its too clean, its probably same. But I have changed water change schedule from every week to every two week. For me the most prominent difference was slow growth of live stock. I do add a pinch of reef roids once in a while

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank is humming along. 

Photo dump..

40916964750_550fd9742b_b.jpg

Asterina star and tiny father duster

42678282152_dfa217ecfb_b.jpg

Fire n ice zoa .. peeping through the cracks

42678280962_d1060f14ee_b.jpg

42678284112_38391b5504_b.jpg

Eagle eyes

42678283802_435bedee0f_b.jpg