Innovative Marine Aquariums

Healdsburg

Ranjib

This is a log for my fluval spec 3 pico. Its an old tank, originally bought for BC29 QT tank. But since I have resident 3 fishes in by BC29 for almost a year, later it started housing some of my softie/zoa frags. I ran the tank with stock gears, weekly 90%WC, lighting backed by a time. Later it was upgraded use ABI 12W, LED bulb (tuna blue) and a Aqua Clear 20 HOB filter, heater.. all controlled by raspberry pi. This tank was never meant for a display tank.

Things changed couple of months earlier. During christmas, I was able to finish the PWM and few other things in controller. That allows me to control kessil lights now. And I really love the Kessil A80 on my other pico (imagitarium 3.7). I decided to clean up the tank, fixed aquascape.. Almost a month before I started adding couple of zoas (from BC29), then couple of paly's. Today it now has its own Kessil A80 :-).

Thought I'll share some images. Its an old tank, so it not really a build thread, but it a new beginning for this tank.. since it will house resident coral.. not guests :-)

Setup with A80

post-91213-0-14414300-1486973812_thumb.jpg

Just the tank:

post-91213-0-48607300-1486973827_thumb.jpg

Close up

post-91213-0-49702300-1486973935_thumb.jpg

post-91213-0-14414300-1486973812_thumb.jpg

post-91213-0-48607300-1486973827_thumb.jpg

post-91213-0-49702300-1486973935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ranjib
Name the tank
  • Like 2

Got some time today to take a few snaps. With return off

Top view:

Usual suspects

Eagle eye??

The other zoa colony ...Under blue spectrum . 

I am thinking of rotating the main rock 90 degree clock-wise. It has couple of paly from the early days, that are currently on the back side. 

Corals are doing good. Palys are all showing in-coming new heads. 

Eagle eye

Blue legged hermit crab

Emerald crab below grandis paly

Tailspot blenny, in his usual style 

One of the paly, I like a lot, not sure its name

• 3 weeks later...

Corals are doing good. Palys are all showing in-coming new heads. 

Eagle eye

Blue legged hermit crab

Emerald crab below grandis paly

Tailspot blenny, in his usual style 

One of the paly, I like a lot, not sure its name

Benny has recently started munching on zoa :-/. It's not chronic, but it's not very rare as well

Grandis, and several other zoa/paly started showing new heads :-)

Fra

• 3 weeks later...

:-( I lost my blenny. She was 9 months old. The cause of death is not natural. There were multiple flesh injuries. I suspect the emerald crab. I am noticing they are nipping at my corals in all three tanks. This is the first fish fatality. I think the minimal rocks scape is also a factor. I am rethinking about these crabs. 

My grandis and other plays are showing new heads

Blasto is growing as well, but lot slowly. I am planning to dial down light

Feeding time , its fascinating to watch grandis and blasto eating 

I recently installed RO/DI setup. Since I live in an apartment, I went with RO  buddie from Aquatic Life, due to its compact form factor. So, far happy with it. Easy to install and I could get 0 TDS water from it.

I am using the TDS meter that came with my brita water filter (for human consumption).

Interestingly my brita filter also give 0 tds water, but I guess it does not remove silicate etc...

• 1 month later...

I had put this tank on display at maker faire , for the open source reef-pi controller. May fts (from maker faire )

The new resident, an anemone shrimp. He always rest on the blasto. He is eating frozen mysis

Healdsburg, reef-pi controlled pico reef tank

Grandis, hosting anemone shrimp

Some top view,

Blasto, with many a new heads last month

green lantern zoas are making a comback after I removed the emerald crab, it was nipping at all the zoas.

purple paly

eagle eye

34909691832_272f02eb35_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am rescaping my two pico tanks. Grouping the acan and zoa/plays together in imagitarium 3.7g. I have noticed my sexy shrimps sometime nip at acans. They are coming here, they'll be here with the anemone shrimp with gsp, and other hard corals 

Gsp, macro shots 

Reef tank june 2017

Sexy shrimp

Reef tank june 2017

Both of them hanging around on gsp land

Reef tank june 2017

@Lula_Mae thank you for pointing it out. I am considering my next steps with the sexies, :-/

I have three tanks (2 pico and 1 BC 29G) , so I have some room to move things around, and I am seriously considering doing so to attain peace :0)

Till then, some eye candies,

blasto soon after feeding 

Tank shots

I have notices blasto does not enclose its mouth completely when i feed oyester feats or reef roid, but it if i drop a whole mysis, the mouth closes completely

Tank shots

I haver a bubble algae issue in this tank. I had emerald crab before, but they too pick at zoas. Because its so small, and i can pretty much tank the whole rock out and clean it, i am not too worried about it till now. I physically remove them one in a while

Tank shots

I still dont know the name of the lonesome red paly (right most), 

Tank shots

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

New addition , bam bam from cherry corals,

Corals , July 1st

Older palys are doing good, not seeing any new polyps, since i have changed the aquascape little bit

Corals , July 1st

• Like 1

I never thought I'll share this, but this tank is full of pods due to absence of fish/inverts. Today I was able to take some macros

35685799305_6d4c3179b6_b.jpg34876771893_c0069fae49_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

August fts.

36437001011_d9527ce6b5_b.jpg

All residents are healthy, grandis got a new head. A new polyp appeared on the purple play as well. Mohawk and green zoanthids are growing slowly.

i added a clown goby :-). He is very shy, rarely roaming in the open, mostly hiding in some nukes ... here is a pic taken under actinic

36528195346_0d6c7bece4_b.jpg

• Like 1