ReefCleaners.org

Looking for a new light.

Kayman

I'm looking into getting a new light for my 29 Standard tank. I currently have the 24"-36" Current USA light (non pro). While I really like the features of the light I just don't think it is providing the growth I want on smaller LPS corals I have that don't take to feeding as well as my frogspawn and duncan corals. The thing with the new light is I am looking for a light that will also work on a 40 breeder as I am looking into upgrading to one within a year or so. I have a few choices so far and am looking for opinions. I would like to stick with LED as I like the power savings they provide and the extra features that comes with them. I would like to stay under $350.

Option 1: Reef Breeders Photon 24-V2
I really like this option. It provides all the cool ramping features I like as well as the ability to adjust 6 channels. Just doesn't seem like I can find a lot of reviews about this light. Maybe I'm blind?

Option 2: SBox Pro 32" timer

Is a little cheaper and would provide better coverage over a 40 breeder but is too long for a 29. Doesn't look as nice and is missing the ramping feature I like.

Option 3: Mars Aqua 300W

By far the cheapest but doesn't have the ramping feature either and not the best spectrum but seems lot of people like it. Would probably pair it with the Current I have right now and use that to provide a bit more blue and a sunrise/sunset.

What would you go with? Tank will be mostly LPS and softie dominate but would like to have some SPS.

Thanks!

Your current light should be plenty for lps, they don't need high light.

What lps do you have that aren't growing?

I don't know much about the first 2 light options but mars aqua has a good reputation for an affordable option.

Otherwise i'd say Ai Hydra or Nanobox

Your current light should be plenty for lps, they don't need high light.

What lps do you have that aren't growing?

I don't know much about the first 2 light options but mars aqua has a good reputation for an affordable option.

Otherwise i'd say Ai Hydra or Nanobox

I know they don't need a ton but my 29 is kind of tall for some of them being in the lower part of the tank. I also don't think it will cover a 40 breeder very well. My acan, blasto and candy canes are growing but I feel with a better light they would grow quicker and have better color. I would also like to expand the types of corals I have and I know my light can't handle them.

The AI Hydra is an awesome light but it is almost double the price range I'm looking at. I think I would need a Nanobox Duo Plus for a 40 breeder as well which is then well above the $350 I'm looking at.

Archived