Pod Your Reef

QT new fish from LFS copper system

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

Purchased a royal gramma that currently sitting at my LFS in quarantine copper system. Gonna let him sit up there another week...He's been there since 1/25 and looks perfect. Should I still plan to QT or would he be safe to add to display containing 2 clowns? I have my QT ready but have never QTd a fish with my previous tanks. Planning 3 fish total in a 43g.

LFS is saying I don't NEED to and they wouldn't, but you know how that goes.

Purchased a royal gramma that currently sitting at my LFS in quarantine copper system. Gonna let him sit up there another week...He's been there since 1/25 and looks perfect. Should I still plan to QT or would he be safe to add to display containing 2 clowns? I have my QT ready but have never QTd a fish with my previous tanks. Planning 3 fish total in a 43g.

It can't ever hurt to QT. I'm not a big preventative medication fan, but I think QT'ing for observation and maybe running some prazipro definitely couldn't hurt.

Yes. QT. Unless they haven't added new fish in 2 weeks to the tank always QT. If they add a fish who might be sick 1 day or even one week before you pick up the new fish it could become infected again. I have 2 fish in QT who were at 2 different LFS for over a month in copper. I am still QTing just to keep my other fish safe.

I learned my lesson the hard way and will always QT now. 76 day fallow period sucks (ends in 10 days.) I bought fish from LFS that does multiple QT methods and runs copper, I have bought probably 20+ fish from them with no issues. Got a few tangs that had been there for over a month and run through multiple dips and copper. After a few weeks in my DT ich everywhere, wiped out everything but 3 fish that made it to QT. Of those only 1 is still alive and even after 30 days of copper, 2 rounds of prazi, that fish is still having some issues so just started copper again. Besides most LFS run low levels of copper, enough to hide issues but not cure them. To expensive for them to run the proper amounts and test constantly.

burtbollinger

Side question: my clowns loved brine shrimp until I introduced prime reef flakes. Now they shy off the shrimp but are ravenous for flakes. This ok?

Archived