Top Shelf Aquatics

What do you think of this equipment list?

Skydive1982

I'm about to start setting up a reef tank and would like some feedback on my list. I'm planning on having a mixed reef. Soft,LPS,and some easier to keep SPS as I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years.

CAD Lights 70g Artisan II w/o skimmer

Reef Octopus Classic 110

Maxspect 27" Razor 15k LED 180w (I've only had halides)

Eheim Jager TruTemp 200w

AutoAqua Smart ATO

Reef Crystals salt

IceCap 3k Gyre

Petco has Black Sand is this ok? http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-black-aquarium-sand

50lb BRS Fiji dry rock box and 15lb of their Tonga shelf

...and I still have a RO/DI system, just need to replace all the filters

Don't know much about the CAD systems, but a lot of people here like them. Reef Octopus skimmers are always a good bet. Someone else will need to comment on the light. Is the heater going in the display tank or in a sump? If it's going in the display tank and you care about how things look, you might want to opt for a cobalt aquatics neotherm. The AutoAqua Smart ATO is great, I have been using one without fail for a year now. Salt is a very opinionated topic, lot's of people have had success with Reef Crystals, and a lot of people think it's just okay. The new big trend in salt right now seems to be geared towards AquaForest's reef salt. I have also used Petco's black sand and would suggest you stay away from it. It left a black oily film in my tank for three weeks and about 10% of the sand floated to the top. It wasn't all that great in my personal opinion. The rock looks good, just remember to do a full cycle if you are going to use dry rock :). Good luck and welcome back!

I have an old version of the maxpect razor. While it does the job fine and my anemones be no complains, I prefer my AI Prime on my pico Coral tank better. I moved a birdnest frag from the pico a while back into my bigger tank under maxpect. It grew but it's color is pretty bad.

I'm about to start setting up a reef tank and would like some feedback on my list. I'm planning on having a mixed reef. Soft,LPS,and some easier to keep SPS as I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years.

CAD Lights 70g Artisan II w/o skimmer

Reef Octopus Classic 110

Maxspect 27" Razor 15k LED 180w (I've only had halides)

Eheim Jager TruTemp 200w

AutoAqua Smart ATO

Reef Crystals salt

IceCap 3k Gyre

Petco has Black Sand is this ok? http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-black-aquarium-sand

50lb BRS Fiji dry rock box and 15lb of their Tonga shelf

...and I still have a RO/DI system, just need to replace all the filters

I don't really object to much on the list but I would pick different equipment.

CAD Lights 70g Artisan II w/o skimmer - I would go with a Reefer 250 or 350 if at all possible. I have heard some horror stories from CAD lights. Not sure the cost difference but whatever it is, its worth it

Reef Octopus Classic 110 - No opinion since I'm not a skimmer fan

Maxspect 27" Razor 15k LED 180w (I've only had halides) - Definitely better options out there, I really like my nano box system but it isn't cheap

Eheim Jager TruTemp 200w - The Cobalt Neo therm is a MUCH better heater in my opinion. Just get 2 100w and your good to go. (better to have 2 100w than 1 200w imo)

AutoAqua Smart ATO - Red Sea Reefers have a built in ato, so that would save some, but this ATO should be fine

Reef Crystals salt - Depends on what you want to keep, I use Instant Ocean and add 2 part to keep levels where desired

IceCap 3k Gyre - I personally HATE my gyre, I'm actually just about to sell it - Depends on budget, mp series if higher, jebao pp series if on a budget

Petco has Black Sand is this ok? http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-black-aquarium-sand - Never heard of that brand, probably would be ok but I would stick with a well known brand like carib sea if possible

50lb BRS Fiji dry rock box and 15lb of their Tonga shelf - Cant go wrong here, but the reef rock from reefcleaners will save money and is really nice

I would look into the red sea aquariums, they have an awesome reputation.

I use the jagger heaters, never had any issues with any of them.

All heaters have bad stories, including neotherms. Another heater that has a good reputation is the aqueon pro.

Reef crystals- i personally didn't like it, after 2 bags i switched. red sea coral pro's alk was too high so switching to aquaforest.

Aquaforest and Red Sea blue bucket have a good reputation.

Don't use skimmer or ato but for lighting there are many options.

Nanobox

Aqua Illumination

Mars Aqua

Kessil

Black sand- i'd never do it again. I had it just switched it out

1. Some brands are known to use sand that is very magnetic so when using magnet scrapers it causes major scratches.

2. Very dark, poor light reflection

3. Hard to see algae develop so it can get bad before you know it

4. Seems to come in bigger diameter than regular sand and causes a lot of detritus to get trapped.

I'd recommend caribsea fiji pink.

Thanks for the replies! I like the price of the CAD lights over the RedSea but I have heard the return pumps on the CAD lights aren't that great and the plumbing also gets replaced (not very easily though). What about the Red Sea Reefer 350, looks like the only thing else needed with it is a return pump.

As for the sand, I'll go with the Fiji pink, that's what I had before and didn't have any issues.

I'm still torn about lighting, I didn't want to spend a fortune on them and have been searching for used ones. I even tried getting my old Outer Orbit metal halide back but it's in use.

Thanks for the replies! I like the price of the CAD lights over the RedSea but I have heard the return pumps on the CAD lights aren't that great and the plumbing also gets replaced (not very easily though). What about the Red Sea Reefer 350, looks like the only thing else needed with it is a return pump.

As for the sand, I'll go with the Fiji pink, that's what I had before and didn't have any issues.

I'm still torn about lighting, I didn't want to spend a fortune on them and have been searching for used ones. I even tried getting my old Outer Orbit metal halide back but it's in use.

The CAD tanks are cheaper because they are awful. You WILL regret buying it.

Black sand is great if you keep magnets away from it. It really lets the coral pop.

I'm trying to stay away from "issues" so I can go without the magnetic black sand. I put together a tank before and made so many changes in a short time that the tank kept crashing. Wrong silicone, anemone dieing, cracked leaking sump (ato topped up and changed salinity). It was awful to say the least but I'm not gone for 2 weeks at a time anymore.

SelectedByNature

I hear you. After 4 tanks my motto is try to make decisions now before set up and make the system stupid simple.

Sorry to derail but what happened to your other tanks? Just upgraded 3 times? I know you have two tanks now right?

@op I hear ya being gone for 2 weeks at a time almost makes this undoable. Looking good though. Agree with others about the black sand.

I originally started with a 55g and 20g but shut them down due to various things happening in life at the time.

I now have 2 reef tanks and a freshwater

I've done some more research and while I don't really want to pay the price of a Kessil AP700, that's what I'm leaning toward for some reason. I know nothing about LED and can't find any metal halide/T5 combos (what I'm familiar with). I'm going with the Reefer 350. Would the AP700 be good for a 48" tank?

RIP Sebastian
43 minutes ago, Skydive1982 said:

I've done some more research and while I don't really want to pay the price of a Kessil AP700, that's what I'm leaning toward for some reason. I know nothing about LED and can't find any metal halide/T5 combos (what I'm familiar with). I'm going with the Reefer 350. Would the AP700 be good for a 48" tank?

Ask @ninjamyst.

You can check out my build thread.  I have reefer 350 with Kessel AP700.   If I can do over, I would have went T5 hybrid with Nanobox.  The AP700 will cover 48 tank just fine but you have to be careful with SPS placement.  I have seen the AP700 used for under $800 but the arm mounts is another $160.  Two AI hydra 26 HD is another option.  But if you go SPS, T5 is best.  Search for Harrys 350 build.  His tank is amazing running T5 and he's horrible with tank maintenance...hahahah

T5/MH hybrids are still around, just harder to find. Occasionally they will appear on eBay, and the Cebu sun by Hamilton and the Infiniti/Spectra by Giesemann are available, but aren't cheap.  

Thanks Oceanus, I found a 48" Outer Orbit 250w x2 and 4x 54w T5. I'll start the collection with the lights! Is that overkill? 250w x2 over a tank that's 47"×21"×20" 

That seems like a good amount of lighting. I'd make sure to acclimate everything but I think you can keep even very demanding SPS with that. The T5 fixture alone would probably be a little weak for a tank that deep, but LPS would do great and SPS would be fine up higher. 

Archived