Cultivated Reef

My Mandarin Switched To Pellets!

FiveGallonSea

FiveGallonSea

Hey reefers,

A couple months ago I bought a Blue Mandarin that was trained to eat mysis. A very short while later I realized that the work of thawing and cleaning mysis shrimp every single day to feed one fish was a royal pain in the butt. So much so that I even considered the thought of selling him as much as I love this little guy (Mandarins and Lionfish are my favorite).

One day as I was feeding the rest of my fish Hikari Marine S Pellets I saw my Mandarin very curiously looking at the baster that I was dropping them from. I thought to myself there's no chance in hell that a wild caught Mandarin who was trained to eat mysis would just eat a pellet. Would you believe he did!? I dropped one and he ate it immediately, then I dropped another and another and another and about 15 pellets in this guy was still going crazy over them.

Now, I tried to manage my excitement because I thought this may have been a one time thing so I tried again the next day and this little guy eats them to no end every single day for 2 weeks now. I seriously could not be happier. Funny thing is that he will not eat them from the sand bed. He meets me (literally he meets me) at the top of the rocks as soon as I turn off the pumps to eat the pellets from the top of the rocks as I drop them from the baster. If any pellet drops to the sand bed he could care less which is odd, but who cares I'll take it!

Now please don't go and buy a Mandarin because of my story. We have all heard the countless deaths of them NEVER switching over to mysis, let alone pellets. But there are some miracles out there!

Archived