Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kalk ATO - prefilter / ways to reduce precipitation

R_MC

Hi all,

I use kalk as my primary method of replacing alk and ca. I use an aqualifter and dose directly with my top off water. Lately, I've noticed that there has been a lot of precipitation coating my pumps and filling the return chamber of my sump.

I'm looking for ideas...I might try:

-Micro top offs: in the past I used my reef angel to limit top offs to 10s (on) every 15 minutes. I stopped when one of my relays failed and I was too lazy to reprogram the RA. I think this helped and I may even go to 5s every 10 minutes.

-prefilter: I used an airstone on the top off tubing to limit the solids that get sucked in. This broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I see that there is a prefilter sold for the aqualifter and may give this a try.

-chemical prefiltration: could I use any sort of chemical prefiltration (like an acidic solid?) To ensure that all kalk entering the tank is fully soluble?

-circulation pump in the return chamber: to prevent kalk from pooling, maybe I should add water movement to the return chamber? Even a small fountain power head might help.

Any other ideas?

Rather than burn another relay I purchased an adjustable 1ml to 250ml per minute pump. I figure topping off at about 5ml per minute will be perfect. Because it is a peristaltic pump I can also put the outlet of the tube closer to the water level to avoid splash back.

Are you using a kalk stirrer? If not, I can't see why you'd be getting solids in your kalk. The solids are supposed to be disposed.

Other than what you've already done, I might suggest cutting it down to 1/2 or 3/4 strength. This will eliminate any abiotic precipitation, or at least, significantly diminish it.

Good idea, I am not using a Kalk stirrer - but I add the Kalk + RO water directly to my ATO reservoir. Any particulate settles to the bottom.

Some of the precip I am talking about occurs when "clear" kalk water is added to the tank too quickly - and some is sucked off the bottom of the res.

Archived